Sign in to follow this  
LJH

Welcome to our newest Beta Reader: Bachgen Cymraeg

On behalf of the Editing Team, I'd like to introduce, and welcome our newest Beta Reader

Bachgen Cymraeg

I'm sure Bach will make a valuable contribution to the Beta team. He is all set and ready to take on new authors. He fully understands that Beta Readers are paramount to spotting logic, plot problems and consistency of character traits among other things and that a Beta Reader is a ‘second’ reader to go over the story to see how it flows; kind of like a test pilot for the story for the author to gain feedback before publishing.

When asked what comes first, plot or character his opinion was that the plot takes precedence, since that is what keeps the story going and the reader interested. He is also of the opinion that a good plot is nothing without properly developed characters; who wants to read an amazing plot with the most boring characters imaginable? So one could start with an amazing character and build a plot around them. I guess it depends on the author’s initial thoughts and ideas about the story. I don’t think it’s necessary that either should come first but merely that they are developed properly.

Welcome to the team, Bach.

Happy Beta Reading.

Edited by LJH
  • Like 1

Welcome, Bach!

• Like 1

Welcome, Bach! Thanks again for volunteering!

• Like 2

Glad to have you on board! 

• Like 2

welcome, its nice to have more people around.

• Like 1

Welcome, Welsh-Boy. Come on in, the water's fine.

• Like 1

Welcome, Bach.  Just remember, put your comments in English, not in Welsh.  lol

• Like 1

Thanks so much Bach, and welcome !  :)

Welcome to the team, Bach! :)

Yay! Welcome, Bach! :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Ashi
      Hello, hola!
      I am currently writing a final chapter of the story, oh, I almost gave out the spoiler....  Anyways, I need someone who can speak speak Spanish natively and knows Latino/Latina culture.  The story won't use a lot of it but I am currently thinking I should write everything out, even dialogues that are "behind the scenes," so even if I cut those dialogues out, the entire flow would be authentic.  MC doesn't speak Spanish much (I'll say he speaks as much as me...), but his bf/fiance does.  There is this little segment where the BF is having a little family interaction, and MC doesn't know what they're talking about.  Anyways, it's going to be a very San Francisco story so this has to be very authentic, so I need experts!  Don't want to write something badly researched and be offensive unintentionally.  Please help me.  Thank you.
    • By Ashi
      The Scandalous Affair of His Honorable Beofred of Chauserley is a very light and fluffy RomCom which I spent relatively very little time writing (I watched way too many British dramas, so the dialogues come naturally).  I am hoping if there are people who are interested in beta and editing such story.  Someone who is very well-versed in Jane Austen type of language (Regency English) is preferred as the editor.  Beta reader doesn't need to be, as I want to see if the language is too confusing to general audience or not.
      Right now there is only one (10-page) chapter, with rough idea of a second chapter.  It's kind of soapy at this point, with potential to serialize.  I will only write more if there are interests.
      The story is not super serious historical fiction, but I did a little bit of research, particularly on costume accuracy and hierarchy of peerage and service staff (think Downton Abbey).  It's something I write to take my mind off my other project, so some details might be a little anachronistic.  People's names are intentionally corrupt and funny (MC is called Beofred.  Beo from Beowulf to mean intelligent, and -fred suffix to mean peaceful ruler).  The story is more accurately described as a generic fantasy setting, but the characters happened to be speaking and dressed up appropriately to the Regency Period.  It is not meant to be 100% historically accurate.
      There will be some reference to Austen stories (particularly Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion), Vanity Fair, and Othello (which I know..., is Shakespearean, not Regency).  Any resemblance of Jane Austen characters, Becky Sharp, and Iago is ABSOLUTELY INTENTIONAL.  LOL  It is a parody after all.
      There is no graphic depiction of sex "in front of the screen."  Main character happens to be gay and his parents don't give a flick about it, but somehow everything is still blown out of proportion big deal.  LOL
      Please consider joining the team.  If you know someone who might be interested, please let them know as well.  (*curtsy*)

• By DarkBishop
      Arcadia: Blood Stains (Book One)
      I’m currently looking for any beta readers that would like to beta read chapters before they’re released publicly. I’m just starting out and I currently have someone doing the proofreading, but I would like to have someone that can look at the chapter and the structure and make sure everything sounds good. You will also have access to the story Master File where the story is being built. 
      If you would like to be a beta reader please send me a private message. Looking for two if possible. 
      Thanks
    • By Stannie
      Heya guys, 
      I made a post on the lounge forum before I notices there is a specific forum for this, so that's why I'm also posting it here. 
      Recently, I started writing another story. As English isn't my native language, I often struggle with the sentences and stylistic choices. I don't want my story to be full of mistakes, that's why I'm looking for an editor. Even though I'd love to have someone who can get rid of all those mistakes ( believe me, there are a lot), I'm also looking for someone who could look at my style and give feedback on how to improve. Just looking at whether sentences feel/sound right and maybe offering alternatives on how to phrase it. 
      Thing is, I feel like I am somewhat proficient in the language, but this is on a communicative level. When writing and especially when describing things in stories, just getting across the message in a plain and easy way doesn't suffice. You often want the sentences to sound right. You want to create an image for the reader. That's my struggle and I hope someone could help me with this.
      As for the story, I'm quite happy about it (story-wise), but I always appreciate feedback on that level as well. Things like how a character feels, what you miss in them or what you think is too prominent. Whether you like the things that are happening etc. Just general feedback. 
      In the end I want to improve my writings, so any feedback is welcome. I love learning, so knock yourself out! 
      So, if you want to consider helping, let me know. You can have a look at the first (two) chapter(s) and decide whether you feel the story or not. 

A short synopsis of the story Police Trouble (name under review):
      Jake (16) is the son of the local police captain. Lately he's been failing some classes, so his dad ordered him to come to the station after school every day so he can do his homework in peace and supervised. Jake didn't like this at all, as it meant he couldn't go out with his friends, but was grounded instead. His relationship with his dad isn't really good anyway. Dad is always trying to keep his son on the right track, everything has to go according to the rules, which only works counter-productive. Their relationship is one of constantly challenging each other on a verbal level through banter. (this means that on the one hand I'm trying to show the struggles within the family and with Jake being a teenager, ready to leave the nest, but also the way his parents care for him, even though he himself doesn't see this all the time).
      At the precinct, Jake sees a boy his age being brought in. Apparently, this guy is a regular. Jake is doing his homework when the guy is being transferred to a holding cell. The guys - Brian - sees Jake and smiles at him. It's a mysterious or maybe even a creepy smile, resulting in Jake wanting to find out what's behind that. He wants to know what the story of this boy is, why he is regularly arrested, what he'd been through. In short, he is on the verge of becoming obsessed. 
      These are going to be the two main topics in the story. 

Thanks for reading,
      Stannie

Ps, there is no rush. I don't need someone to be able to edit within a few days. I  write irregularly, so I don't mind if editing takes a week or longer. 
    • By Timothy M.
      What determines the order in which editors and beta readers are listed in stories ? It's not the order in which you add them, nor is it alphabetical order. Is it by the seniority of the GA member (the date they joined) ?
      In my Anthology stories I usually have two editors listed, because I want to credit both my primary editor and the Anthology Team editor. However, they don't end up in the order I list them, and I'm wondering why.
      You can see an example in this story and also in my contribution for Snapped. Is there any way to set the story system so the listing order becomes the one we enter ?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..