:2thumbs: :o :D Congratulation on 100K Words, Tim! :D  :o  :2thumbs:  

awww thanks Carlos. I hadn't thought about that. I'm now contributing about 0.1% of story words on GA :lol:  and CC is no 343 on the 'longest story' list. Wonder where it'll end up? I'm foreseeing top 300 at least, but who knows.

LOL I got curious - Not counting the several stories that were deleted when an author left the sight, and only counting what has been published, it comes to 1.4 M, give or take a few thousand words.

• Like 1

One question Tim--how big are these garden plots?!  Some of the 'sheds' look to be pretty large--do those have any space left for plants? :)  I'd swear they look as big or bigger than my yard, which is 1/8 of an acre (40 x120 feet)--average size for one in Columbus. When I lived out in the country (where Jay & Miles is set) we had an entire acre with our ranch house in the middle, and room for trees, a pond and a swing set of industrial size built by the man who did the house--it was ten feet tall of iron poles with four wooden swings...I had lots of fun on it with the neighbor boys until one of the chains broke and gashed my pinkie on my left hand--all healed over and the chain was fixed, so I got right back on!

Edited by ColumbusGuy

One question Tim--how big are these garden plots?!  Some of the 'sheds' look to be pretty large--do those have any space left for plants? :)  I'd swear they look as big or bigger than my yard, which is 1/8 of an acre (40 x120 feet)--average size for one in Columbus.

200-450 m2 seems normal. 200 m2 would be 10 x 20 m = 33 x 66 feet (if I've gotten the conversion right), and 450 m2 is almost equivalent to your yard.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

So essentially people have two places? A living space inside the city and a yard on the outskirts?

well, only those lucky enough to get a kolonihave. They were originally created as garden plot for workers who lived in small apartments in towns. It was a way of giving them a chance to grow their own vegetables and get out into fresh air and away from the squalor of the city's poor quarters. They were on municipal land and people rented the plots on favorable conditions. You can read more in the link I provided.

Rich people had summer cottages.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

The next chapter is a bit shorter than normal at 7,000 words but AC thinks you'll like it. :)  Particularly the things he persuaded me to add at the end. :P  Not that it took much to convince me...

It is now in Kitt's capable editor hands, so send her some nice thoughts. I think she may be reading right now. :D

• Like 4

By the way AC, how about sharing the picture of your rings here? They are pretty cool, and you were right about the similarity with the CC rings. Hope you're getting the size problem solved.

See: https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/gallery/album/1407-my-wedding-rings/

The Claddagh ring is made in Ireland, and is set with garnet, peridot, amethyst and topaz. 

• Like 2

Wow, those are awesome rings, AC!  I'd have to have one in silver, since Mikey picks up his taste in jewellery from me: I'm not fond of gold or diamonds. :)  I have several rings in silver, one of a sun with rays and a face beneath a piece of amber, and several more that have a dark purple stone--hnearly black--bloodstone? One of them has its top hinged to hide a small something or other, maybe a pill or a lock of hair?

Tim, did you link pictures of Russ and Jacob's rings?  I don't seem to recall them.

• Like 1

Bursting in here to post http://satwcomic.com/one-bird-in-the-hand.  OMG. Sea parrot. I'm dying. 

I know, it's hilarious. The Danish word is søpapegøje :lol:  and the beach magpie is strandskade.

Still saying "sea parrot" to myself and giggling. I sent the link to a friend in Germany who said she and her partner have a game where they make up Danish words for things  :lol:

Tim if there are others, PLEASE tell me. 

other what ? words for birds which sound really weird when translated ?

• Like 1

I know, it's hilarious. The Danish word is søpapegøje :lol:  and the beach magpie is strandskade.

other what ? words for birds which sound really weird when translated ?

I guess that, yes. What I don't get about sea parrot is, surely Danes saw puffins before you know, land parrots, so why....

Edit: im having a vision of this just one very hopeful viking walking around with a puffin on his shoulder... "Say pretty polly and I'll give you a fish!" and all his friends going "goddammit Leif, its never going to happen, just STOP..."

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

What I don't get about sea parrot is, surely Danes saw puffins before you know, land parrots, so why....

Edit: im having a vision of this just one very hopeful viking walking around with a puffin on his shoulder... "Say pretty polly and I'll give you a fish!" and all his friends going "goddammit Leif, its never going to happen, just STOP..."

LOL - the correct Danish name is 'lunde' and søpapegøje (sea parrot) is just a nickname. Don't know when it was coined or by whom.

see http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunde

and anyway the name puffin is pretty ridiculous too ! ^_^

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

LOL - the correct Danish name is 'lunde' and søpapegøje (sea parrot) is just a nickname. Don't know when it was coined or by whom.

see http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunde

and anyway the name puffin is pretty ridiculous too ! ^_^

Aw darn it :( 

Come to that  beach magpie is no worse than oystercatcher, which I think is what it is, from the cartoon. Will look at a proper pic later.

Okay, here's another one, though not a bird.

Have you ever come across this really badly smelling fungus called the common stinkhorn ? see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus_impudicus

Now the Latin (scientific) name means 'indecent penis'

The proper Danish name is almindelig stinksvamp - common stink fungus

however, the popular name is præstepik which means vicar's dick. :*)

• Like 1

Okay, here's another one, though not a bird.

Have you ever come across this really badly smelling fungus called the common stinkhorn ? see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus_impudicus

Now the Latin (scientific) name means 'indecent penis'

The proper Danish name is almindelig stinksvamp - common stink fungus

however, the popular name is præstepik which means vicar's dick. :*)

Somehow that isn't as romantic as my idea of Leif "søpapegøje" Leifsson. He had a dream... he ended his days in a hut on the beach, surrounded by his silent friends... but sometimes in the seastorms, a strange bird-like voice is heard...

• Like 1

im having a vision of this just one very hopeful viking walking around with a puffin on his shoulder... "Say pretty polly and I'll give you a fish!" and all his friends going "goddammit Leif, its never going to happen, just STOP..."

Somehow that isn't as romantic as my idea of Leif "søpapegøje" Leifsson. He had a dream... he ended his days in a hut on the beach, surrounded by his silent friends... but sometimes in the seastorms, a strange bird-like voice is heard...

you're quite right, Irri and I liked your Viking tale  :lol:

• Like 2