Prompt #356 - First Line

I did another Tiger Winter snapshot.

“Since when do I have to tell you everything?”

“Another guy moved into your house and you decided not to mention it?” Zeke snapped, the tension rising across his shoulders, making him visibly angry. “Is he cute?”

“What with having a boyfriend; I hadn't actually noticed!” Emmett growled , “can we just go back to having a nice dinner now?”

...continued...

“Since when do I have to tell you everything?”

Tom sighed. "You don't. The guys are nervous about this. If the Ministry of Justice goons finds out there are so many augments in one place then we just have to be up to no good."

Danny took a breath and dialed back his temper. "I had a chance to find some things out and I took it. I know that we all agreed to talk it over first but I had to make a split second decision."

Tom could tell that Danny was shaken. Something above and beyond a little grumbling in the ranks had rattled him badly and knowing his friend, it was time to shore up his confidence. He said, "I backed your play. So did Jerry. I'm pretty sure the rest of the guys will get over it. You got results."

Danny walked over to the wet bar. His hands were shaking as he put some ice in a glass and added Wild Turkey and water. He took a quick drink and grimaced.

Tom asked, "Isn't it a little early to be hitting the hard stuff?"

Danny took another drink and said, "I just figured out something and I don't like it. I don't like it at all."

"What is it?"

Danny sat down in one of the chairs and said, "One of the first jobs Admiral Bassett's staff people gave me was to figure out the correlation of forces we could expect out on the Rim. I took the Ministry's numbers and couldn't make them work. When I took the raw numbers, even using conservative constraints, those numbers get ugly."

Tom asked, "How ugly?"

Danny downed his glass and said, "Somewhere between 8 to 1 and 12 to 1."

"Jesus Christ Danny, there's no way."

Danny put the glass down and said, "They sent us out here to get killed Tom. They stacked the Task Force with all the augments available to the Bureau of Personnel- legal or illegal. That's the only logical conclusion."

Tom paled. He walked over to the bar and poured himself a stiff drink. He took a shot of tequila and asked, "What can we do? Could you go to the Admiral? If he knew how bad it was..."

Danny said, "We can't. If we insist on pulling the plug, that will destroy our officers credibility and we just can't do that."

Tom said, "If they are dead, they can't help us either."

Danny tossed the ice in the sink and put the glass down. "That's true but there's another option."

Tom asked, "What is that?"

"We're just going to have to find a way to win."

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...