Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

More than I probably expect, not that I've planned any out--but I seem to have trouble getting all the stuff I want into one, so that leads to another one...and another one. :)

Do you plan out each chapter, and stick to it?  I have a feeling my method of letting the story write itself is unorthodox...I haven't written an outline since school term papers in college.

Nope, I just start writing and see where it goes. That goes for chapters as well as stories. At times this leads me into trouble, because I regret choices in earlier chapters which I'm now stuck with.

It also means I'm dependent on a good beta to question my motives and make me think matters through or call me on going off in a weird direction.

• Like 3

One lone thing did stand out, I link it below:

Trækkerdreng

:huh:   :blink:  :rofl:

that was hilarious, particularly the mistakes (both form and content).

The sentence 'En badeværelse ser jeg ikke' is utterly wrong (for Danes, but perhaps not for Germans). We'd say: hvor er der et toilet?

And we wouldn't say: Lad dem se til, but Lad dem bare se på!  (Let them watch!)  :lol:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

Chapter 17 is up, with a huge debt to Tim for the advice on promises, and to Gary who makes my writing much better--I tried not to pester him too much this time around since he's an Author now too.

I hope people will hang around for chapter 18--got a title in mind, just have to write it now. I'll start on it tonight I think, after catching up on a couple stories. What is the title, you ask? Well, even if you aren't, I'll tell you anyway:

Strange Interlude

Feel free to speculate--at this point, aside from one or two events, your guess is as good as mine, and I might work it in!

• Like 3

When I first wrote the story's initial chapters, I hadn't thought to link any references like I did later on with songs and such...I rememberred Chapter 1 had some, and went to look at it again--the two are now linked to videos for the items-Bicentennial Minute and Helter-Skelter.

I don't think there are any more unlinked references in the story now...but if you spot one, or think something needs a link to make it easier to understand, let me know!

Finally caught up on all of the chapters. I am really enjoying the story and love the relationship between Jay and Miles. They are beautiful together. Jays parents are awesome by the way. I love stories with loving and supportive parents. Great job! Looking forward to the next chapter.

• Like 2

Thanks so much LitLover, I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, not much planning except for an idea of where I want to end up in each chapter--and sometimes the boys are chatty and I don't get that far. :)  Once the story progressed past the first chapters, I realized that prompts weren't always going to work, so I only use them if a good one fits...and having a prompt response of over 2k words seemed excessive to me.

We will soon meet Mikey's parents, who will be a different kettle of fish to Jay's. I'm a bit anxious about that since Mikey is pretty much me, and I'm using my real parents for the models--separating what I knew then and learned later is tough, and hard to keep it from coloring the story.

I hope you stick around, I like suggestions and feedback as it helps me dig into my past and dreams to find what fits n...as I mentioned somewhere way back, there is at least one real thing in every chapter, and that still goes. Here's a freebie: I really did forget to put bananas in the banana fritters in Home Ec class. :)  Jeez, how lame is that?

• Like 3

Just sent Gary the first 3200 words of Chapter 18--I've fretted about them, and I thought he should see them so that I don't implode or something...this might be rough on readers, or not, it was for me to write it, wondering if I'd gone wrong. My conscience-named Gary-will tell me if I have...he's not missed a beat yet.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 1

Chapter 18 is finished and will be posted when I get it back from my faithful beta Gary. This story has turned out pretty good because he feels about the characters the same way I do...they are in good hands when I'm not watching over them. :)

• Like 4

I keep wondering whose POV you'll be using in ch 19. It's worked quite well with the shifting back and forth, but I think you have to make an important choice here.

Do you want us to see Mikey's parents unbiased through the eyes of Jay - or do you want us to experience the trepidation of Mikey ? I would advise sticking to the same POV all through dinner and while they are in the company of Mickey's parents. THEN you may shift to show the thoughts of the other boy and let them discuss whatever happened.

I'm not saying it won't work to shift POV as you go along, but be really careful and think about why you shift and what it will accomplish. Hope you don't mind me saying this.

• Like 2

:heart: :heart: Still out of likes. :(

That's a very good point, Tim, and I've been thinking about it since the idea first came to me to write such a scene--it has advantages and disadvantages both ways. My plan at the moment is to tell it as Jay...then it can lead to the discussion of who's got the real view of them. Either way, it's going to be hard to maintaian impartiality and not let future events color things.

I'm thinking that we might get a hint of what Mikey is thinking by the comments he makes.

Is there a preference the readers have as to who writes this scene?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

In four hours and twenty minutes, I'll officially be another year older. 57, just like Heinz!

:puke::whistle:

Not expecting anything, didn't get any cards at Christmas except from the cable company. :)

:huh:  how does that happen? Going from 55 to 57 I mean? :gikkle:

ColumbusGuy 

Sexuality:Gay

I don't know what was wrong, maybe I was stressing over my birthday or what, but Chapter 20 wasn't going much farther than 250 words for nearly five days.  AC gave me a good gambit for it, but I wasn't at the point to use it yet...but very early this morning, something seemed to give, and it's flowing much better now!

This chapter is all about phone calls...Jay to Mikkel and Sam, Jay to Miles, no phone sex is planned, unless you count advice as 'sex'. :)  Depending on how it goes, I might get the guys to school and through lunch where they meet up with Kurt. I won't say definitely because it depends on how chatty Jay and Mikey get...I'm at 1400 words so far....:)

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel a bit like I let you guys down, not getting to the part where Jay and Mikey talk before bed...that had been the plan when I started, that things would happen from Jay's POV--Sam was just to set the scene in Toronto, then something happened--Sam decided it would be better if he told a bit about his life with Mikkel...who knew they'd turn into real people rather than cast members in the wings?

I could have added Jay's call to his boyfriend, but that would have meant making it brief or a bit hurried, and I didn't think that would fit with our two boys.

I've started Chapter 21, tentatively entitled 'School', which begins the next morning, Monday. I hope to have Kurt sit with the boys for a bit, maybe they'll come out to him as a couple, maybe he'll confess that he too had a fun weekend, and might have met someone. The first paragraph could be the viewpoint of either Jay or Mikey, but the second one has drifted to Mikey for some reason--my first impulse had been to do another Jay morning with chores and breakfast, but somehow that didn't happen. What do you think? Should I stick with Mikey, or switch to Jay? With luck, the day will end up with them studying at Jay's, then dinner before Mikey goes home.

On an aside, I found a pretty cool story a bit ago:

Railroad Bridges by Nicholas Hall

• Like 2

I've started Chapter 21, tentatively entitled 'School', which begins the next morning, Monday. I hope to have Kurt sit with the boys for a bit, maybe they'll come out to him as a couple, maybe he'll confess that he too had a fun weekend, and might have met someone. The first paragraph could be the viewpoint of either Jay or Mikey, but the second one has drifted to Mikey for some reason--my first impulse had been to do another Jay morning with chores and breakfast, but somehow that didn't happen. What do you think? Should I stick with Mikey, or switch to Jay?

Just let it flow, and do what feels right, as long as you show the reader there is a break of some kind - like an extra line space, or something ;)

• Like 1