[Sasha Distan] Lonely At The Top

Lonely At The Top

is the story of Nathan Cole, Clem Linton's dominating, very angry, and homophobic ex-boyfriend. But how did he end up that way, is he aware of the hurt he causes, and how is the universe going to conspire to fix him. 

After all, when all your friends side with your ex, it can be a bit lonely. Nathan might be able to drink everyone in town under the truck, but now he's doing it by himself.

Five chapters, to post every Friday.

• Like 4

Sasha, do you want us to continue ranting about Nate here, or are you making a separate forum ?

I have just made a new forum, before I actually saw this. so if everyone is OK with that, then we'll move tables and get another round in!

LOL - great minds think alike.

Anyway, let me buy the first round:

Nate is still an idiot, but I guess drinking is his way of dealing with a shitty father. Or one of his ways. Not unusual, but not endearing either. In fact, I'd say Nate is more pussy than man when it comes to standing up against his dad. :lol:

• Like 2

Is it sad that I am insanely excited to read this story? I love "redemption of a bad-boy" stories and Nate's redemption is going to be fun to watch as Taylor makes his mind spin! I see now where Nate gets his attitude from. His dad's "You can be gay as long as you're not a faggot" attitude has to be tough for Nate to get around. Still though, you make your own choices in how you treat people.

A crazy thought just I occurred to me: the most homophobic jerks out there are often deeply closeted and scared men, right? Maybe Nate's anger and attitude toward "soft and frilly" men actually means HE wants to wear the pink silk and lace? Bahaha nevermind. Just got a mental image of Nate on his horse with a pink thong peaking above the waistband his wranglers! Haha nope...Nate may get redeemed but I think the pink thong would just be too much. :rofl:

Edited by LitLover
  • Like 1

A crazy thought just I occurred to me: the most homophobic jerks out there are often deeply closeted and scared men, right? Maybe Nate's anger and attitude toward "soft and frilly" men actually means HE wants to wear the pink silk and lace? Bahaha nevermind. Just got a mental image of Nate on his horse with a pink thong peaking above the waistband his wranglers! Haha nope...Nate may get redeemed but I think the pink thong would just be too much. :rofl:

You realize he will beat you with his reins if he hears you say that... right? It's a funny image though. *runs and hides*

• Like 1

The only thing I don't like so far, is that it is only 5 chapters... but Sasha can say a lot in one chapter, so....

I'm with Lit...I am so looking forward to Sasha rescuing this guy...he is so messed up, and we are beginning to understand why, that he NEEDS a second chance. Even in this day and age, being gay can be a minefield, and we are often a product of our environment. It is easy to say that he is old enough to know better, but some levels of indoctrination are ingrained so deep that the psyche suffers a damage that warps...and in the case of Nathan, who appears to LOVE the farm and his horses, walking away from his dad, in his mind, most likely means walking away from that passion. Right now I'm guessing that is all he has left. Clem, and all his friends have left...with good reason...which is why the title for this story is perfect. I worked with a girl, one time, who had a nasty, biting horse...she was ready to give up on him and sell him because he was so dangerous...I offered to help her and that horse ended up totally trustworthy. It wasn't easy...he had a lot of issues....Nathan, to me, is that horse...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I worked with a girl, one time, who had a nasty, biting horse...she was ready to give up on him and sell him because he was so dangerous...I offered to help her and that horse ended up totally trustworthy. It wasn't easy...he had a lot of issues....Nathan, to me, is that horse...

Ohh,,, good analogy. Nathan does need a second chance, that's for sure. And I really agree with you about what Nathan might see as walking away from his dad will also mean walking away from the ranch and the horses and the part of the universe he loves - and that loves him back. 

You said once that a guy who loved horses couldn't be all bad, and his horse loves him back. There is something there worth saving.

• Like 3

I think if he hasn't hit rock bottom yet, then he's close.

ohhhh... so many things I can't say

The only thing that might send him spirally any lower is if something happened to his beloved horse.

I promise nothing bad will happen to Cayman. You have my word.

• Like 2

Hmm, let's see:

1. His best friend dies, and he feels guilty for not preventing it.  Check
  2. His fuck buddy/boyfriend throws him out for being a homophobic jerk.  Check
  3. His bastard of a sperm donor (not worthy of the name Father) prevents him from mourning David.  Check
  4. He's jealous of the happiness Clem and Ash have and how they support and care for each other.  Check
  5. None of his other friends seem to care much about him, making him pretty much isolated.   Check
  6. He has lost his joy in working with rodeo horses (and maybe also being the bull rider protector).   Check
  7. He's feeling so shitty he runs away, in spite of knowing the probable consequences.  Check

Yeah, I'd say we're pretty much there. The question is how long will Nate spend down there, and how is he going to get out ?

I also wonder where his mom is in all this? Is she dead or what?

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 5

She married his father: you really think she gets any voice of her own? Plus she has daughters to deal with.

Yea I could see the dad telling her to "stop coddling the boy". He doesn't seem like the type to have chosen a strong willed wife.

• Like 3

When I read the latest chapter, the guy Nate felt up in the club made me think of Kiaza and that Nate might have been very lucky to get away. Ha, ha! Wouldn't that have been a completely unexpected turn of the story?

Hmm.. I might have to read those stories again. I kind of miss the demons.

• Like 3

When I read the latest chapter, the guy Nate felt up in the club made me think of Kiaza and that Nate might have been very lucky to get away. Ha, ha! Wouldn't that have been a completely unexpected turn of the story.

Yeah, that would have been weird, considering they exist is totally different universes. My head is full enough without that many worlds colliding.

Edited by Sasha Distan
  • Like 2

... I worked with a girl, one time, who had a nasty, biting horse...she was ready to give up on him and sell him because he was so dangerous...I offered to help her and that horse ended up totally trustworthy. It wasn't easy...he had a lot of issues....Nathan, to me, is that horse...

Gary writes the best reviews and forum thoughts ... makes me feel inadequate ...

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

So, with one chapter left to post what does everyone think Nate's resolution is going to be?

Will he apologize to Clem?

Will Ashlee shout at him?

Will he admit to liking Taylor as way more than a friend?

I think he will apologize to Clem, in his own way, and I think he will admit his feelings to Taylor. :) I don't think Ashlee will yell at him unless he upsets Clem. Otherwise I think Ashlee will realize the closure needs to happen.

• Like 2

So, with one chapter left to post what does everyone think Nate's resolution is going to be?

Will he apologize to Clem?

Will Ashlee shout at him?

Will he admit to liking Taylor as way more than a friend?

I really believe that Nathan NEEDS to apologize to Clem, and he will do it knowing that Taylor is at his side, physically or metaphorically. Taylor has helped open Nathan's eyes and Nathan wants him and needs him. He is in a scary journey, and love is what allows him to break through. I think he will try to establish a rapport with Ashlee as well, because Clem's forgiveness may depend on it ....you can't heal only half way...It is an all or nothing kind of deal... but what the heck do I know lol...Cheers

• Like 2

I really believe that Nathan NEEDS to apologize to Clem, and he will do it knowing that Taylor is at his side, physically or metaphorically. Taylor has helped open Nathan's eyes and Nathan wants him and needs him. He is in a scary journey, and love is what allows him to break through. I think he will try to establish a rapport with Ashlee as well, because Clem's forgiveness may depend on it ....you can't heal only half way...It is an all or nothing kind of deal... but what the heck do I know lol...Cheers

You always know more than you think!

• Like 2