Destined Mates, Soulmates Etc

Hi everyone on GA,

I'm finding it hard to write in the concept of pre-destined pairings, for beings such as wereshifters and other supernaturals that can find their other half upon meeting them. My main issue is how to make the concept believable, while at the same time allowing for personal growth within that character.

Any thoughts?

I think Sasha Distan handled something similar to this issue extremely well in his story Born Wolf. It isn't the precise subject but, to me, it really did seem like the two main characters were destined for each other, and it was a long haul toward getting to the promise land.

In Enforcer Book 2 of Timber Pack Chronicles by Rob Colton, the main focal points of this second look at the Timber Pack do recognize right off the bat that he is the one. Again, it is a long journey to get to that happy place. Do read the first book where you get to know Jed Stone, the timber pack character.

Good writing to you.

• Like 1

I think Sasha Distan handled something similar to this issue extremely well in his story Born Wolf. It isn't the precise subject but, to me, it really did seem like the two main characters were destined for each other, and it was a long haul toward getting to the promise land.

In Enforcer Book 2 of Timber Pack Chronicles by Rob Colton, the main focal points of this second look at the Timber Pack do recognize right off the bat that he is the one. Again, it is a long journey to get to that happy place. Do read the first book where you get to know Jed Stone, the timber pack character.

Good writing to you.

Thanks for the advice Ron.

The guy I am trying to write is the main love interest of the protagonist, he knows the protag is his "mate", but he still in love with another man he knew before. His former love essentially saved his life, and even after his death, he cannot bring himself to love someone else.

• Like 1

The guy I am trying to write is the main love interest of the protagonist, he knows the protag is his "mate", but he still in love with another man he knew before. His former love essentially saved his life, and even after his death, he cannot bring himself to love someone else.

That is far different than the two stories that I mention, though both are still worth the effort of reading. Often we can gain inspiration from the work of others, even if it isn't a specific match. Besides, you wouldn't want to do it exactly the same anyway.

Your second description is a different creature than what you first mentioned. Your dealing with guilt. A heavy subject that can go a lot of different paths on the road to freedom. Perhaps someone else has a suggestion on that topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone on GA,

I'm finding it hard to write in the concept of pre-destined pairings, for beings such as wereshifters and other supernaturals that can find their other half upon meeting them. My main issue is how to make the concept believable, while at the same time allowing for personal growth within that character.

Any thoughts?

I'm just going by a reader's point of view but I thought the building of a character's personal growth is what made the story concept believable. (?)

Thanks for the advice Ron.

What's this story going to be called? I'd definitely read it. That's a very interesting concept.

I'm with Rook on this one - it is how this concept interacts with the growth of your characters which will make this story believable or not. I also believe there is a guilt/attachment element to it.

If A loves B was was saved by him, that's a bond which will be hard to let go of in any circumstances.

But is A also feels a strong chemical pull towards C (who I'm assuming adores him back) then that will drive a lot of inner turmoil, guilt, longing, and misery for your protagonist.

Don't forget to think about C, his feelings and his reactions to the whole thing - because how much must it suck to meet the one and only person you ever want to be with and find that they are mooning over a ghost? Talk about a kick in the Gentleman's Region...

I've never been a fan of the whole 'predestined' mates thing, which was why in Roadhouse Reds, Jace didn't fall for Anoki despite Anoki's insistence that they were destined to be with one another and had the same 'marks' much like a tattoo that was supposed to help them find their mate. I wanted to show that it was as much about choice as 'destiny or fate'.  like the idea of a reluctant mate or a mate who is still focused on a ghost. I'd read it. 

• Like 1

What's this story going to be called? I'd definitely read it. That's a very interesting concept.

It will be named Blitzen's Gift. I have a short preview on my official website if you are interested.

(Not sure what the rules are about self promotion, but I couldn't leave the question unanswered.)

• Like 1