This is a story forum for readers of lomax61's first story Uninvited Guest to discuss themes and topics of the story with each other and the author.

For those of you who may have tripped on this thread and not yet seen the story:

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/lomax61/uninvitedguest

The setting is partly rural England and partly London, and Iomax has introduced us to several interesting characters, mysteries, and dramatic situations in the eight chapters posted so far.

And I apologize to lomax for spelling his name with capital I instead of l. :*)  It was only as I wrote him a PM I realized my mistake.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

OK I shall begin by commenting on Puppilul's chapter 2 review, which struck me as very observant.

Funny how someone here thought the guys were unwelcoming. I found them to be very open and including. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Us Swedes aren't always overly friendly at first, but get on our good side and you have a friend for life.

I had exactly the same feeling as you, so I'm guessing it's a Scandinavian thing. Danes are also seen as hard to get to know, but once you get invited into their homes, it's a different matter.

And Brits have this saying, don't they? My Home is my Castle.

• Like 4

Woo hoo! Lol i just asked him to start a thread when i saw there's already one lol

Great minds think alike. :)

I sent out a PM to those readers who have left more than one review, and I thought about including everyone, but thought that might be overkill. I'm happy you found it on your own. :D.

• Like 2

OK I shall begin by commenting on Puppilul's chapter 2 review, which struck me as very observant.

I had exactly the same feeling as you, so I'm guessing it's a Scandinavian thing. Danes are also seen as hard to get to know, but once you get invited into their homes, it's a different matter.

And Brits have this saying, don't they? My Home is my Castle.

Well to me, i thought they were pretty welcoming, over even, except for stephen but then again he prolly feels the most uncomfortable, prolly even more than anton since a stranger resembling his dead lover stumbled into his home. The rest were kinda cool. Lol first thing that came to my mind when i thought about how martin looks like was Mr Rogers lol

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator

Thanks for pointing out this thread, Tim. This will be my inaugural post in the forum, not because I'm unfamiliar with forums or shy, I've been too busy reading stories.  :)

I'm enjoying this story because lomax has given us surroundings that are so well described that I can see them in my mind's eye and the characters are complex with nuances that make them very real. We already have a number of mysteries that are playing out and new relationships building and old ones changing. With chapter 8 I also find, like Anton, that I might have misjudged Ewan. He might not be the total sh*t we thought he was. I still haven't decided whether Gemma is a positive influence or not. Like Tim, I don't like Anton's lack of a response to Stephen's text. He has been so obviously withdrawn and reserved due to past tragedy that it had to have taken a great deal of effort for him to put himself out there like that. Not replying is almost a personal affront.

• Like 3

OMG guys. I am SO honoured by your posts. I wanted to say that you have no idea how much this helps but you've clearly been on this site longer than me so perhaps you do.

Please keep in mind that Anton is still recovering and not without past influences on the sidelines. Despite his overbearing (and actually well-meaning) sister, he is still very fragile right now. As I posted too, he is only human so he may/will make some mistakes - but please don't give up on him.

I want to also say thanks to all if you superb readers and reviewers who have motivated me to finish this story. Personally, I love the beginning and the ending (you'll have to wait for the end) but have struggled with much of the story in between. It's only 16 chapters so we're halfway there. Please stay with me and I PROMISE not to disappoint.

lomax61 - but to all of you just I am Brian

• Like 3

I don't like Anton's lack of a response to Stephen's text. He has been so obviously withdrawn and reserved due to past tragedy that it had to have taken a great deal of effort for him to put himself out there like that. Not replying is almost a personal affront.

That's a very good point ! Can you imagine the reservations Stephen had to overcome in order to send that text ? :pinch: And to receive no reply at all ! Must be like a slap in the face (like a wet cloth (våd karklud) is what we say here).

• Like 2

Anton is human and vulnerable right now, and as such makes mistakes. So please be patient with him as he makes some even bigger ones. Such as not texting Stephen back because he doesn’t really feel worthy of him yet, or dropping Martin and Gallagher in favour of meeting up with Christian because the message worries him.

Hmmm, I'm not sure this is a valid excuse for not answering Stephen's text, but I guess since Stephen took a week to send the text, Anton has some leeway in replying. :unsure:  And visiting Stephen is a nice reply - but sending him a text or calling him to find out whether he is at home, might be prudent - even for an Uninvited Guest, who now has a sort of standing invitation. :lol:

As for the other matter: :facepalm:   :pissed:  :no:

• Like 1

So nice with a forum thread! I always get so nervous writing a review, since they can't be edited and you can't write more replies to explain anything further.

That's a very good point ! Can you imagine the reservations Stephen had to overcome in order to send that text ? :pinch: And to receive no reply at all ! Must be like a slap in the face (like a wet cloth (våd karklud) is what we say here).

I didn't react to Anton not responding, but since you mention it here's my take on it. Yes, it was a big step for Stephen to send the text. Maybe not answering was smart. I have a feeling Stephen can spook really easily and just letting the text be what it was keeps their "relationship" at a level he can handle. Stephen gives the impression that if anyone was to pursue him, he would just shut the person out. Also, Anton is still on the mend after Christian. I don't want Stephen to be a rebound guy.

That said, a simple "Ok, cheers, mate" might have been a bit nicer...

Edited by Puppilull
  • Like 2

Stephen gives the impression that if anyone was to pursue him, he would just shut the person out.

Now, Puppi, what on earth gave you that impression ? :rofl:

It was actually one of the matters which I forgot to comment on in my ch 7 review. Which was probably a good thing since I think poor Brian was a bit overwhelmed. ;)

Anyway, I thought it was hilarious how Rico and Sean failed completely with setting Anton up with Ben, after Stephan had a go at Martin and Gal for trying to set him up with Sean. :evil:  :gikkle:

• Like 2

So nice with a forum thread! I always get so nervous writing a review, since they can't be edited and you can't write more replies to explain anything further.

I didn't react to Anton not responding, but since you mention it here's my take on it. Yes, it was a big step for Stephen to send the text. Maybe not answering was smart. I have a feeling Stephen can spook really easily and just letting the text be what it was keeps their "relationship" at a level he can handle. Stephen gives the impression that if anyone was to pursue him, he would just shut the person out. Also, Anton is still on the mend after Christian. I don't want Stephen to be a rebound guy.

That said, a simple "Ok, cheers, mate" might have been a bit nicer...

You are on the right track for Anton. His confidence has been knocked badly by Christian, and he is being cautious. Not defeatist, but cautious. He is now at a crossroads. That's the key to where he is right now. In the words of the song "should I stay or should I go?"

• Site Moderator

What kind of sick and twisted individual would want to read that?!?

I think that scenario might involve whips, dog collars, and chains. :)  Seriously though, Max is the type that enjoys playing cruel mind games.

• Like 2

Or maybe a menage with Christian and Max?  Eewwwh  I don't know if I'm that broad minded.  LOL

What kind of sick and twisted individual would want to read that?!?

no fucking way  :o  even getting together with Christian would be bad. :no:

Now if Anton got into bed with Stephen no one would object.

My personal favorite would be Sean and  Rico. :P

But maybe Brian is simply alluding to Anton ditching his date with Martin and Gal in order to meet with Christian - and even worse: feeling so sorry for Christain he agrees to hep him. :pinch:

• Like 4

Thanks everyone (especially Tim) for helping to create this discussion forum. I am happy to hear your opinions, suggestions or anything regarding the plot and characters I've created for this story - no holds barred.

• Like 2

snapback.pngReply from lomax61 (author)

Hi Impunity. I love art galleries too. I recently managed to get back to London to see friends and family, and visited the Tate, the Tate Modern and the National Portrait Gallery. Honestly, I could have spent the whole week just wandering around them. Only thing missing was the champagne. But because life should imitate fiction, I am personally more of a watercolour lover – portraits or landscapes. (I love the work of Henry Scott Tuke as mentioned in chapter two). 

We are way overdue for a visit to the London art museums. Sadly, Atlanta only has one and it's not especially good. It does have a decent contemporary collection, though, including 5 pieces by my personal favorite artist, Gerhard Richter, whose abstract pieces are incredible and whose portraits are exquisite. Actually, the National Portrait Gallery did a show of his work a few years ago which we managed to get to; it was wonderful. :)

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2
  • Site Moderator

I find Anton's tastes in art another reason to like him. After being presented with those red/black/white abstracts, I would have gravitated to the seascapes too. Not because I dislike contemporary work, but it just seemed too contrived.

As an aside to impunity, I like Gerhard Richter also. His work is so varied that he can't be conveniently be pigeonholed into a category. Lesende has always brought Vermeer to my mind when I see it.

• Like 2

I find Anton's tastes in art another reason to like him. After being presented with those red/black/white abstracts, I would have gravitated to the seascapes too. Not because I dislike contemporary work, but it just seemed too contrived.

As an aside to impunity, I like Gerhard Richter also. His work is so varied that he can't be conveniently be pigeonholed into a category. Lesende has always brought Vermeer to my mind when I see it.

Haha! The black/red/white might have been a bit much. And I do also like seascapes. :)

The High Museum in Atlanta has one of the Lesende pieces and it is lovely. My favorite of his portraits is Woman Descending the Staircase, at the Art Institute in Chicago. They have some excellent abstract expressionist pieces there as well. Although, I think the best piece of all is the window in the Cologne Cathedral.

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2
  • Site Moderator

Lisa posed the question in a review wondering if Max is physically abusing Christian. At this point we can't be sure. From the signs, Max would be capable of it and inclined to it. However, mental abuse and the threat of physical abuse can be just as traumatizing  or more so than actual blows and injuries. You see subtle signs that whatever is going on is taking a toll. I'm thinking of Christian's 'drawn' appearance and then there is Max's insistence of using the diminutive Chris, which Anton knows Christian dislikes. You notice that Christian didn't object. Reading between the lines you can see that Christian has likely thrown up Anton to Max as being a better partner. That concerns me in that Max may actually assault Anton. This becomes more likely if he finds out Christian is meeting Anton behind his back.

• Like 3

Haha! The black/red/white might have been a bit much. And I do also like seascapes. :)

One of my favorite quotes from chapter 7 was Sally saying: "I know I'm supposed to be supportive, but they look like psychedelic gobstoppers to me." :rofl:

Oh and if you don't know: Gobstoppers

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3
  • Site Moderator

One of my favorite quotes from chapter 7 was Sally saying: "I know I'm supposed to be supportive, but they look like psychedelic gobstoppers to me." :rofl:

Oh and if you don't know: Gobstoppers

LOL  I liked that description too. It was so vivid. It sounded like something a really vicious art critic might say.

• Like 2