Male Standards of Beauty Around the World

Mr Future, Mr Nigeria, and Mr South Korea have to be my favourites. However I admit I find most of them far too 'perfect'. I guess I like Mr Future and Mr South Korea because they're unique, distinctive (though in South Korea's case, maybe not in his own country). The media is very saturated with men who looked like all the rest (sans Mr Phillipines but I really dislike the moustache and the hair cut). Some times they start to blur together in 'good looking but very similar to each other'.

• Like 2

Well, none of the guys were ugly, but none were to my taste either. Maybe if one of Timmy’s Scandinavians was included?

I think man buns are one of the stupidest looks ever. I’m not a huge fan of long hair in general – Fabio-types just look silly. I’m also not a fan of facial or body hair. All those lazy guys who ‘forget’ to shave for a few days or months do nothing for me.

I have no tattoos. People who have them will live to regret them. I’ve seen a few guys with interesting tattoos, but I wouldn’t want to be with them. They just look like they forgot to use soap when they took their last shower.

A clean-shaven Chris Evans is more my type. A nice, clean-cut guy who doesn’t take himself too seriously.

Edited by Former Member
On 5/12/2017 at 4:11 PM, Arpeggio said:

This made me feel ugly. XD 

I definitely don't like the lumberjack look. 

On the one hand, our culture’s standard of male beauty has expanded somewhat beyond the Nordic-type Europeans to include men whose ancestry derives from other parts of the world. On the other hand, men are now being expected to have a more toned and muscular look than in the past – in the ‘70s, for example, a very skinny, un-muscular look (‘heroin chic’) was popular. Especially as Gay men, we are now starting to face the same problems with body image issues that women have been dealing with for decades – anorexia and bulimia rates are up.

Along with accepting people of varying ethnicities, orientations, religions, and sexual identities (among many other differences), we need to learn to accept differing body types. Not all bodies are healthy, but it isn’t my job to tell others that they need to lose weight or that I find them to be unattractive. I have lots of friends who I do not find sexual attractive, including women, but they have other characteristics I appreciate. 😉

No matter how much time I might spend in a gym, I’d never be able to achieve a body-builder-style body. Others could never diet enough to get the skinny body I had when I was a teenager (when trends inevitably swing back in that direction at some point). I could probably eat enough to get Buddah-bulk, but my heart and other organs would not be able to deal with the extra weight. It doesn’t help when doctors think I should be able to lose 15-20 pounds in order to achieve a magical ‘healthy’ weight – my body isn’t built like that and it isn’t a realistic goal (plus my hypocritical doctor needs to lose at least 25-30 pounds herself!). 😉

I don’t know you, Arpeggio, but your avatar picture shows a very attractive young man. I’m sure that feels about as useful as if your own mother told you you were handsome! But just like your mother, I’m not hitting on you, just stating a fact. 😉

Edited by Former Member

I'm not really a fan of that video, to be quite honest. Between what strikes me as deliberate choices in selection (the guys, the stats), the fact that at least a couple of the "standards" seem very of-the-moment, and the fact that the video as a whole is altogether too busy with too much going on at once ...by 4:00 I was completely "over it" and clicked off the thread page. :P

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, MJ85 said:

...by 4:00 I was completely "over it" and clicked off the thread page. :P

[rant!] That’s why I’ve turned off automatic loading of videos on my browser pages. I don’t understand why so many sites think that it’s okay to force me to waste my time and bandwidth on something I may or might not want to watch – there are still a few websites where I haven’t managed to prevent autoplay of their stupid videos showing me what I can much more efficiently read right under their video! (What’s worse is when a site thinks I want to use ancient, proprietary technology to look at flash videos.) [/rant!]

On 4/18/2015 at 3:29 PM, TetRefine said:

The whole sexualization of the lumberjack look in the gay world has just gone too far. Not to mention it's just not attractive in the first place.....  :thumbdown:

I figure soon enough we should be seeing a return to the metrosexual look. Probably within a few years.

• Haha 1

Actually, if anything, we should probably expect a male version of the long-overdue return of the Rubensesque look.  ;-)

Looks that were fashionable in the past never return in exactly the same form, there are always significant changes.

He is still young yet (18 I'd guess), but this is perhaps the most beautiful young man I have ever seen. I don't know who he is but he's almost inhumanly beautiful. I've looked closely to see if he's 'Photoshoped' at all and he is not. He is real and he is male (Adams apple).

Ah . . . If only he hadn't been born 20 years late :P . I have him 'cast' as a character in one of my stories:

10Emwgi.jpg

http://imgur.com/10Emwgi

Edited by MrM
  • Like 1

Currently crushing on Jughead and Archie from Riverdale:

Twinks aren't my normal type, but Cole Sprouse has turned out pretty damn cute. And KJ Apa is just adorable.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 4/17/2015 at 11:00 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Buzzfeed did a video where they used models to demonstrate the various beauty ideals around the world. It was pretty cool to look at, getting an idea of how beauty is viewed in different parts of the world.

The Brazilian did the most for me. LOL. What 'bout you?

Also...can I please say again just how much I absolutely hate the current "let's cover up our arms and chest with tattoos" craze, re: the UK guy? I can get into the lumbersexual look sometimes, but it usually gets paired with guys plastering themselves with tattoos, which is such a turn-off. Daniel Norris is an exception...dude pulls off the lumbersexual look beautifully in my opinion.

I tend to find Australian men the hottest, but I was kind of "meh" on the guy they picked for Australia.

The sexiest abs in the world can't save anyone from a douchebaggy haircut. :P

• Haha 1
  • 5 months later...

The whole lumbersexual look is just an homage to the whole greek adonis bearded statue with aquiline features, that's why the whole lumbersexual look applies to most men who have such features: either a big or a straight nose, high cheekbones and an oval face with tempered jaws.

I'm not saying Asians can't carry the look, but the most who do, have mixed blood in them which either gives them the cheekbones or the straight nose to carry it off.

And as for the standard of beauty, I'm happy that us bearded men are getting recognition to some extent. Shaving is such a chore so it's an excuse not to shave every couple of weeks. Until my beard becomes a flavour saver to which I decide to hack it away. Cause I can't enjoy my tub of yoghurt if I keep on tasting this morning's brekky of bacon and toast.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, LJCC said:

The whole lumbersexual look is just an homage to the whole greek adonis bearded statue with aquiline features, that's why the whole lumbersexual look applies to most men who have such features: either a big or a straight nose, high cheekbones and an oval face with tempered jaws.

I'm not saying Asians can't carry the look, but the most who do, have mixed blood in them which either gives them the cheekbones or the straight nose to carry it off.

And as for the standard of beauty, I'm happy that us bearded men are getting recognition to some extent. Shaving is such a chore so it's an excuse not to shave every couple of weeks. Until my beard becomes a flavour saver to which I decide to hack it away. Cause I can't enjoy my tub of yoghurt if I keep on tasting this morning's brekky of bacon and toast.

I had to shave my beard off because I was being accused of being Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The Alec Guiness one, not the Ewan McGregor one.

:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, MrM said:

I had to shave my beard off because I was being accused of being Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The Alec Guiness one, not the Ewan McGregor one.

:(

That's hot though. Sorta reminds me of Ernest Hemingway dilfie types. I tend to keep the scruff otherwise I'd look like I'm hitting puberty.

• Love 1
  • 1 year later...

Facially, the British guy was for me the most amazing, but the tattoos were a huge turnoff. As is any guy with a beard. Major turnoff. 

As a South African white male, nearly all the men I'm interested in sexually are of other ethnic groups to my own. Black, Brown, I love the incredible diversity of the world. 

• Love 1

I remember in middle/high school, the main attractive look for men here in the US was the lean-muscled, "Abercromebie model" look. No beef, no body hair, no beard. Very boyish.

sv_abercrombie.jpg

Now it has transitioned back to a much more classic, "manly" look with beefier muscles, chest/facial hair, etc. 

A-453488-1456578349-3110.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TetRefine said:

I remember in middle/high school, the main attractive look for men here in the US was the lean-muscled, "Abercromebie model" look. No beef, no body hair, no beard. Very boyish.

sv_abercrombie.jpg

Now it has transitioned back to a much more classic, "manly" look with beefier muscles, chest/facial hair, etc. 

A-453488-1456578349-3110.jpeg.jpg

I can see the appeal of both, tbh. Like, they’re hot in different ways. That said, I don’t like when they look too clean. Like they’re not real people. And there ought to be a little bit of hair. Like, at least give me a happy trail.

On 5/12/2017 at 7:11 PM, Arpeggio said:

I definitely don't like the lumberjack look. 

I lied. I didn't know about Jason Momoa. 

The Sprouse twins have my attention too. 

Edited by Arpeggio
  • Haha 3