Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Black Widow- Music Recommendations

Prologue

-When Zach drives Will through the warm California summer sun.

"Boys of Summer" by the Ataris

I absolutely love this song. "Out on the road, I saw a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac...a little voice inside said 'You can never look back, you can never look back...;'"

One of those few covers that is just as good as the original.

-When Zach and Will have The Talk.

Joseph Arthur- Honey And The Moon

I had originally picked "All Kinds of Time" by Fountains of Wayne, but I feel like this fits more.

Anyway, you're probably going to hear a ton more music that came out from the O.C. That show really did have the best fucking soundtrack.(Well, save for the Wonder Years.)

-When JJ stands up to MaryEllen.

"It's My Life" by No Doubt

- At Brad's little love nest with Marc.

"Everywhere" by Michelle Branch

Can one of the mods please change the title to Black Widow- Music Recs? Thanks.

• Like 1

I know this song is from over a decade later, but it seems like a fitting theme song considering the title.  :devil:

Iggy Azalea featuring Rita Ora Black Widow

I total listened to the song while reading it. I can't help but wondering if there's really a black widow in the story.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

I know this song is from over a decade later, but it seems like a fitting theme song considering the title.  :devil:

Iggy Azalea featuring Rita Ora Black Widow

I total listened to the song while reading it. I can't help but wondering if there's really a black widow in the story.  :ph34r:

Where have you been?  So good to see you posting.  

Chapter 2

-When the house prepares for the wedding, and when Will and Zach make love.

"Crazy in Love" by Beyonce

Welcome to the Beyonce domination years. She pretty much owned this decade. I got so sick of her by the end of it. LOL.

-As the family watches Isidore and Frank get married.

"Forever and Always" by Shania Twain

Shania Twain basically disappeared after the early 2000's. I think she's tried to mount a few comebacks but she was pretty much at the end of her reign right here.

-The wedding reception as the gang dance in celebration.

"Come On, Eilleen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners

Way ahead of this time, but "Living Room Routine!"

When I was like 15 I bought this "Top Hits of 1983" cd and I used to listen to this tune on it all the time. What a great tune to dance to.

God, I love the oldies! :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 3

-When Will sees his various family members off on their various trips around the world.

"Roam" by the B-52's

-When JJ arrives in London.

"There She Goes" from the Parent Trap

R.I.P. Miranda Richardson. Also, Lindsay Lohan's career. (I'm telling you, it HURTS on that one. I feel like I grew up with her and Amanda Bynes. We're all the same age. At least the Olsen twins seem relatively together if very eccentric and old-looking as hell.)

-When MaryEllen promises to ruin JJ's life.

"Yoo Hoo" by Teen Imperial

-When JJ and Alex resolve to handle whatever MaryEllen throws their way, and make love again.

"The Tide Is High" From The Lizzie McGuire Movie

Every straight teen boy I knew back that was in LOVE with Hilary Duff back then. Oh, my god. She annoyed the shit out of me back then but she was indeed a thing back in 2003. My high school cafeteria had a large Hilary Duff "Got Milk?" banner. The pounds of make-up they put on her just bothered the shit out of me given that she was supposed to be playing an unpopular middle-schooler.

Hilary Duff kind of hit right when the former teen queens like Britney, Christina, Mandy, etc were doing more mature things...she was never really big outside of Disney Radio but man she was hyped hard.

-When Will decides to start his plan to go against Brad by turning into a dedicated consumer, and opens up a twenty million dollar line of credit.

"Intuition" by Jewel

That really was an impressive piece of satire- it manages to pass as the real thing while still being critical.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Chapter 5

-When Will writes his angry email to Zach.

"I Don't Want You Back" by Eamon

-When Will realizes that he'll be okay no matter what happens with Zach, and decides not to send the message.

"So Yesterday" by Hilary Duff

-When Will rents a tricked out 747.

"Pimp" by 50 Cent

-When Will picks up JJ in London, and they travel in style back to the States, as JJ reads the tabloid news about him and Alex.

"Transatlanticism" by Death Cab For Cutie

• Like 1

Chapter 6

-When JJ takes Will to a trendy boutique in SoHo, and we're treated to a montage of JJ trying on hideous fashion that would only look good on a thin guy.

"Vogue" by Madonna

-When Will wanders out into the city, moping about Zach, and gets punched by John Carullo for not telling him he was 15 when they had sex.

"Hot Child in the City" by Nick Gilder

-When Will tells John about Zach.

"Cruel Summer" by Bananarama

• Like 1

Chapter 6

-When JJ takes Will to a trendy boutique in SoHo, and we're treated to a montage of JJ trying on hideous fashion that would only look good on a thin guy.

"Vogue" by Madonna

-When Will wanders out into the city, moping about Zach, and gets punched by John Carullo for not telling him he was 15 when they had sex.

"Hot Child in the City" by Nick Gilder

-When Will tells John about Zach.

"Cruel Summer" by Bananarama

I really loved the Bananarama song.  Perfect call.

I really loved the Bananarama song.  Perfect call.

Well, we're in the 80's Revival right now. There is basically zero chance that Will is going to get through high school and college without attending at least one 80's theme dance or party. Those were popular as hell this decade because the costumes were absurdly easy to do. If you were a girl, just wear a sideways pony tail and a shoulder. A guy, just wear a polo shirt or something in bright neon or pastels. Or if you wanted to be funny, dress up with a fake mullet.

I used to go to Phi Kapp parties in 2006, and "Take Me Home Tonight" and "Sunglasses at Night" were popular 80's tunes that the DJ would always add in to the contemporary hip-hop stuff they played.

Chapter 7

-When the gang arrives upon the restaurant, and JJ makes fun of it for being tacky.

"That's Amore" by Dean Martin

-When Will drives his hot new 750k Ferrari.

"Pump It Up" by Joe Budden (2 Fast, 2 Furious Soundtrack)

- When JJ makes his life plans for living his year in New York City, free of the restrictions of the USFSA.

"Not For the Life of Me"/ "Thoroughly Modern Millie" from Thoroughly Modern Millie

-When JJ makes his resolution to take on John Carullo as his trusty sidekick roommate.

"How The Other Half Lives" from Thoroughly Modern Millie

I loved the reference to Hell's Kitchen. Now you need to be a millionaire to basically live there now, don't you? LOL.

• Like 1

Chapter 8

-When Will gets to Chicago to check on the bar, realizes the problem, and decides he doesn't care because everyone seems so happy.

"Feel Good Time" by Pink

-On the dance floor, when Will meets his latest distraction and decides to get his slut on.

"Get Busy" by Sean Paul

I have been DYING to use this one. Even better, this tune was in the Billboard Top 10 during the week this scene is set in.

- Life with JJ and John Carullo.

"The Odd Couple Theme"

-When Will gets a phone call from an old friend, and things take a dark turn.

"Screaming Infidelities" by Dashboard Confessional

I can picture Ryan listening to this on endless repeat during the break-up.

Gotta love that emo music.

Edited by methodwriter85

Chapter 9

-When Will launches a rescue plan for Ryan.

"Hold On" by Good Charlotte

I am so embarrassed to admit that I really, really loved Good Charlotte when I was 16/17. LOL.

-When JJ talks to Alex on the phone.

"You're So Vain" by Carly Simon

Warren Beatty is rumored to be the inspiration. Having read Star by Peter Riskind, I can believe it. The guy pissed off EVERYBODY. He was hot, but geez, what a dick.

-When JJ decides to get even with Mary Ellen.

"One Way Or Another" by Blondie

-When Will confronts Zach.

"Cry Me A River" by Justin Timberlake

Edited by methodwriter85

Great pics Jeremy.  The Blondie song was spot on for JJ.  I loved Good Charlotte.  Interestingly enough, the guy who got me to listen to them was John Walsh.

John Walsh. You know he's in his 40's now? I wonder what he'd be like in his 40's. I feel like he'd still be boyish as hell, just with less hair and a few more wrinkles.

Chapter 10

-When Zach and Will share a very tense ride along the PCH.

"Are You Happy Now?" by Michelle Branch

• Like 1

Chapter 11

- When Wade sees Stefan's new tricked out plane.

"All Around the World" by Cool Kids

-When Kevin has his breakdown, and Will silently watches the waves with him.

"Wind Beneath My  Wings" by Bette Midler

Kevin and Will didn't remotely have that kind of relationship (this would actually be a really good one for Will and JJ), but I'm going with the sentiment here.

-When they realize that Zach has been dosed with meth.

"Out of Control" by Hoobastank

Chapter 11

- When Wade sees Stefan's new tricked out plane.

"All Around the World" by Cool Kids

"Wind Beneath My  Wings" by Bette Midler

Kevin and Will didn't remotely have that kind of relationship (this would actually be a really good one for Will and JJ), but I'm going with the sentiment here.

-When they realize that Zach has been dosed with meth.

"Out of Control" by Hoobastank

Wow.  I forgot all about that Cool Kids song.  Hilarious.  And Hoobastank.  Definitely a flashback moment.

Chapter 11

"Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler

Really? :unsure:

I'm not sure Will would appreciate this. :no: Far too sappy!

Actually, neither would Kevin. According to the song's Wikipedia page, in a 2002 UK poll, it was found to be the most-played song at British funerals. I bet it featured at a whole lot of US ones, too. :/

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2

Chapter 12

-When Wade gets angry, and gets Trevor to admit that La Danfield is behind all of this.

"Season of the Witch" by Donovan

-When Will makes the decision to break up with Zach for good, at least for the next few years, but still remain friends with him.

"All Kinds of Time" by Fountains of Wayne

-When JJ tries to talk himself out of his crush on Carullo.

"Miss Independent" by Kelly Clarkson

• Like 1

Chapter 14

-When Brad hallucinates seeing Robbie, who has stern words for him.

"Every Breath You Take" by The Police

OR

"Ghost In You" by the Psychedelic Furs

I really couldn't decide.

-When Brad wakes up after a very long sleep.

"Fallen" by Sarah McLachlan

I totally gave a fist of triumph when I realized that this song is indeed period. I associate it more with 2005, but it's a 2003 song. Whew. You don't know how much it pisses me off when I have a song that's perfect for the moment...but it's from a year or two ahead of the story.

-When Wade and MaryEllen talk about the fallout of JJ's molestation claim.

"Maggie May" by Rod Stewart

Every time I hear the song, I realize that Rod is basically calling Maggie May an old, ugly hag who destroyed his young school boy life. Which I can basically see JJ doing to MaryEllen.

-When Will tries to rally the troops, much to JP's dismay.

"Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes

-When Will, Carullo, and Zach get ready to go off and have a threesome, much to JJ's dismay. (Who still wants to imagine it.)

"Ignition" by R. Kelly

I don't think it was possible to be in my age group and not have heard this in a college party or college bar, at least once. R. Kelly very wisely gave this a kind of "classic R and B" feel to it- it's had a long life as a result.

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..