So, I've Read The Chapter... Now What?

Why

So, I’ve read the damn chapter… now what?

How many times have you said this to yourself? You find a story you like, read a few chapters, and all of a sudden, the writer just stops. He stops and after a while of waiting you say to yourself… “Why the hell did he just quit?” I know I’ve asked that question time and time again over the past thirty plus years of reading stories online.

Let me give you a little insight. Authors who publish on sites such as these do so because they love writing. They love being able to express what’s in their heads. We sure as HELL don’t do it for the money. Sites rarely, if ever pay for the content they put on the site.

I know that one reason I continue is that many readers take the time to leave a note for the author, either by posting comments or reviews, or by email. Those short messages tell the writer that his message is getting across… that people enjoy what he produces. Even those with less positive messages helps the writer to grow.

So, next time you read a short story, or a chapter of a longer one, or even a stupid editorial like this one, take a moment to leave feedback to the writer. Express what the piece made you FEEL. If it made you think...say so! If you don’t, you might see a story you like disappear.

Thanks for reading.

True.

Very true, True ;) sorry culdn't resist :wub: 

As an author I love to hear from readers, even when they're sending me corrections LOL. 

As a reader I have attempted this year to try and leave more reviews for my favorite stories/authors in the hope of passing that good feeling onto others and getting more great stories to read, of course. 

Also, at first it seemed like a lot of people in here knew each other very well. I felt like I was crashing a party...

I'll focus on that one line :P

This is a party, the more the merrier. I delight in getting reviews from the same loyal followers each week, when one skips, I wonder what was it about the chapter they didn't like. And I always wish they would tell me! When a new one shows up, my smile gets bigger. GA is inclusive, we should encourage all readers to leave a comment even if it's just a word or two. That circle you mention of people knowing each other well has an open admission policy :yes:

• Like 5

I couldn't have said it better than Puppilull did.

I try to be more active, but there's only so much time in a day to be able to be here.

I leave as many "likes" as possible and hope that the lack of a review makes up for that a bit.

Edited by J.HunterDunn
  • Like 1

I'll focus on that one line :P

This is a party, the more the merrier. I delight in getting reviews from the same loyal followers each week, when one skips, I wonder what was it about the chapter they didn't like. And I always wish they would tell me! When a new one shows up, my smile gets bigger. GA is inclusive, we should encourage all readers to leave a comment even if it's just a word or two. That circle you mention of people knowing each other well has an open admission policy :yes:

I know that now, since everyone is very friendly and as you say inclusive. However, in the beginning it's hard to see that. Just like it's hard to know how any group of people will react to a newbie showing up. Some of us are kind of shy...

• Like 2

I tend to only leave reviews when a chapter strikes me particularly strongly. This is a side effect of having left what I had thought a fairly benign review (I have occasionally left much more critical reviews than this particular one) and had the author rip me a new one basically saying who the hell was I to criticize.

I do try to be active in the forums for stories I read, and ALWAYS leave likes if I liked it, even if I need to go back after the likes have regenerated.

Edited to correct spelling. I should know better than try to post from my tablet!

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 1

Well I'm a brand new writer on GA and I have to say that the reviews DO mean a lot.

When the first review hit my first chapter, I said 'holy shit, somebody read my story!'

Now I look forward to the comments and I think they sometimes even subconsciously affect the story line!

One thing it did for me was to make me a more diligent 'commenter' on stories I read here. (I like comment better too.)

• Like 2

I tend to only leave reviews when a chapter strikes me particularly strongly. This is a side effect of having left what I had thought a fairly benign review (I have occasionally left much more critical reviews than this particular one) and had the author rip me a new one basically saying who the hell was I to criticize.

It's just my humble opinion, but, none of us are of the calibre of a Steinbeck or Tolstoy... Criticism from readers, providing it's not truly attacking (flames), should be taken as genuine attempts at the reader to help the writer improve. If you, as a writer, don't agree with criticism...thank the reader for taking the time to respond, then either let it drop or open a discussion with that reader to better understand exactly what they didn't like or make them understand your mindset when you wrote it...that explanation may take a critical review by a reader and change it to a more positive experience for both.

Well I'm a brand new writer on GA and I have to say that the reviews DO mean a lot.

When the first review hit my first chapter, I said 'holy shit, somebody read my story!'

Now I look forward to the comments and I think they sometimes even subconsciously affect the story line!

One thing it did for me was to make me a more diligent 'commenter' on stories I read here. (I like comment better too.)

That first review is amazing, I agree completely!

It doesn't take a lot to leave a review or hit the like button after you have finished reading a chapter the authors spend a lot of time giving us readers pleasure . I will have to start leaving more reviews I always say to my self I will do it later but never get around to it

• Like 1

I do try to be active in the forums for stories I read, and ALWAYS leave likes if I liked it, even if I need to go back after the likes have regenerated.

Edited to correct spelling. I should know better than try to post from my tablet!

Ditto

• Site Moderator

I remember reading a story in my early days at GA. Not really understanding how everything worked nor being very observant of all the informative details posted with a story, I read a really good one that ended at a critical juncture and left me hanging. At the time, I wasn't too pleased about this let me tell you. 

As time went by, I learned how to navigate my way in GA using the helpful tools of the site. One absolute stroke of genius was the ability to request a Notification alert for new chapters. I do that with all the stories I follow and it has made life much easier. The story I mention above still has new chapters once in a while and when I receive that Notification alert, it is like receiving an unexpected treat. However, I have to confess, I am also more careful when choosing stories now so I don't have to wait to long. With the large library available on GA, that isn't a problem.

I like writing and reading other users reviews because someone else might read the same thing as me, but have a different take on the meaning behind the words. It helps in understanding and clarifying points in the story. The same is true for reading the replies of the author.

Lastly, because I know I'm going on a bit long...Giving feedback to the author is a validation of their work. If I like something, I want him or her to know so that they know their efforts are welcome and appreciated. Which, in turn, results in the author writing more stories for everyone to enjoy. 

Do likes count as a review?

Personally, most stories I read were written years back so I don't really bother reviewing since I feel that ship has sailed. I try however to leave reviews on newer reads or if not, at least give the author a like.

I have to admit it took me a lot longer to start using likes for stories. I tended to leave reviews for stories and use likes in the forum. But now I try to like stories / chapters too. As a writer I treasure a review over a like by a factor 100, and I always reply to reviews.

If the author is still active on GA, leaving reviews on old stories can be a delightful experience for them/us. I'm sure it's a thrill for most to suddenly know a reader found an older story and enjoyed it enough to leave a review. An example is the reaction I got when I left a review on an Anthology story more than a year after the previous comment:

Reply from Percy (author)

Thanks! What a great surprise to find this review waiting for me. Thanks so much. I'm glad you liked the story!
  • Like 2

I have to admit it took me a lot longer to start using likes for stories. I tended to leave reviews for stories and use likes in the forum. But now I try to like stories / chapters too. As a writer I treasure a review over a like by a factor 100, and I always reply to reviews.

If the author is still active on GA, leaving reviews on old stories can be a delightful experience for them/us. I'm sure it's a thrill for most to suddenly know a reader found an older story and enjoyed it enough to leave a review. An example is the reaction I got when I left a review on an Anthology story more than a year after the previous comment:

Wow! I honestly had no clue reviewing an old story would be that special to an author. I'll definitely try reviewing the older stories that I have read.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Wow! I honestly had no clue reviewing an old story would be that special to an author. I'll definitely try reviewing the older stories that I have read.

The story I read was only about 7 months old, but still I didn't expect a response to my review. The following was the start of the author's enthusiastic and informative response:

Such a nice surprise to find one on an older submission. Allah was one of the first things I wrote and posted on GA. I l

you may not get a response for every review, but for the ones you do get, it's worth it. Even if all you say is "I really liked your story", from my experience, that simple sentence is very much appreciated.

• Like 1

I was, as I've now learned is the correct term, a lurker for quite a while in here. I felt like what ever comment I had was just my opinion and who was I to review someone's work? I wasn't a writer or anyone special. Then one writer told me he wanted me to leave a review, so I did. And that got the ball rolling. Now, I'm much more active and try to comment a lot. I hadn't realised how happy comments make you. Now, when I've taken the plunge and published a few things myself, I know how much fun it is to have a dialogue with the readers.

I personally think it could be the term review that makes people hesitant. A better term would be comment, since mostly people comment and don't actually review.

Also, at first it seemed like a lot of people in here knew each other very well. I felt like I was crashing a party...

So silence can be due to many things, not related to the stories or how they touch us. It's good that you say this, because I think others might be like me and just need a little push.

Boy, do I agree with this, Puppilull. I'm very new to the site, and very much feel like an outsider.

Like you, I do like to review stories that have caught my fancy. My problem is that there is enough material on the site to keep me occupied for far too many hours. A thoughtful review - even a few lines - can take me a while to write. And then there is the difficulty of posting reviews that others will see. I am definitely no great writer, and exposing my flaws to the community of pros at large is, well daunting. Many of my observations are trite and hardly qualify as anything incisive.

Let's face it, I never did well at my literature courses.  

The good news is that every time I leave a post or a review, I receive a civil - even pleasant or encouraging  - comment or reply. So I continue to leave reviews when I can, and hope that whatever I have to say may encourage someone else in turn.

• Like 3

Boy, do I agree with this, Puppilull. I'm very new to the site, and very much feel like an outsider.

Like you, I do like to review stories that have caught my fancy. My problem is that there is enough material on the site to keep me occupied for far too many hours. A thoughtful review - even a few lines - can take me a while to write. And then there is the difficulty of posting reviews that others will see. I am definitely no great writer, and exposing my flaws to the community of pros at large is, well daunting. Many of my observations are trite and hardly qualify as anything incisive.

The good news is that every time I leave a post or a review, I receive a civil - even pleasant or encouraging  - comment or reply. So I continue to leave reviews when I can, and hope that whatever I have to say may encourage someone else in turn.

I know the feeling of drowning in great thing to read. I sometimes feel like I have nothing to say about a specific story or chapter, but I try to say that I look forward to the next. I think that kind of encouragement is good too, even if I too want to say thoughtful things.

The more you participate, the easier it gets. So just comment away! I can share the most outlandish theories on where I think a story is going, just to make the writer and other readers laugh. That can in turn spark interesting conversations in the forum threads.

Parker: ANY review is appreciated. I don't (and I'm sure most other writers would agree) care at all about the grammatical errors, spelling errors, etc. in a review. The fact that you took the time is what's important in my opinion.

Welcome to GA. I am sure you'll find more than you bargained for in stories you like. I know I did in the month I was a 'lurker' prior to joining.

I hope to hear a lot from you in the future. GA is truly a community and you get out of it what you put in.

True

Its right that the small review for a writer, even though it is criticism, is like a medicine to be in his position and to continue. I do love to do that as a reader and a writer... :)

In essence, any feedback is appreciated. We do this for free because we love sharing our work with others. Yes, some do eventually hone their skills sufficiently to publish and ebook or two, but with the vast number of chapters already available, and the new posts happening almost by the hour, or more frequently, you'll never run out of things to read, and review. Unlike "Likes" you don't run out of reviews!

True

• Site Moderator

Hi Parker: 

I've seen your reviews on stories that we both read. I thought they were very thoughtful and interesting. You may not be a writer per se, but what you do say has merit, so please don't sell yourself short.

1810  :)

Edited by Reader1810

Thanks to True, Puppilull and Reader1810 for proving my observation that most posts generate cordial and constructive responses on this site. It is easy to see why encouraging reviews generate more and better writing. So now I'm off to do some good reading - and, of course, a review!

• Like 2