' Live-Poets Society ' – A Corner For Poetry

4 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

Five very good and strong scenes for poetry, and they are nicely diverse and form a little collection. For me, No. 3 is the most striking. It offers a tense moment, but it does lack how this encounter makes the poet feel. Without that emotion, there's not much the reader can connect with, other than the intriguing sight.

In the same way, No. 5 has the most of "you" in it, so I'd say it's the most successful Tanka. Please keep writing, and maybe it's best to set these ideas aside and try out some fresh concepts, focusing first on the emotion of the scene.

I'm really glad you are trying out the Tanka challenge, Def. Muah!

Thank you much,  AC.  I think I’m understanding the ‘me’ connection, in the Tanka part.  I will keep trying and trying.  lol. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Okay... So I had to join the club in order to post... Anyways, I tried my hand at doing a Tanka again. So, here is my crappy piece:

Original:

No snow on the ground,
winter is never that cold.
The sand I walk on
warmed by the sun, shifts away
dreams of winter wonderlands.

I was given some formating advice:

No snow on the ground,
Winter is never that cold;
The sand I walk on
Warmed by the sun, shifts away
Dreams of winter wonderlands.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@BHopper2 I just sent you an invite, but it looks like you found your own way here. Good. 

So, your Tanka is great! Thank you for sharing it with us. I can feel the sand between my toes and a longing for a change of season. 

My only suggestion: the last line reads slightly awkward, only because it's not entirely clear who/what is dreaming of winter wonderlands - is it the sand or you? 

Edited by MacGreg
  • Like 4
5 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

So, your Tanka is great! Thank you for sharing it with us. I can feel the sand between my toes and a longing for a change of season. 

Thank you, Mac.

6 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

My only suggestion: the last line reads slightly awkward, only because it's not entirely clear who/what is dreaming of winter wonderlands - is it the sand or you?

It took me a moment, but I see what you mean. I'll give it another look at.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Anyways, I tried my hand at doing a Tanka again. So, here is my crappy piece:

mmmm  ... please dont say that we only learn by being brave enough to post stuff... if its not quite right.. which if you look back through this forum you will see lots of us trying to get it right..  and so they we think and do it until we get it right.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Okay... So I had to join the club in order to post... Anyways, I tried my hand at doing a Tanka again. So, here is my crappy piece:

Original:

No snow on the ground,
The sand I walk on

No snow on the ground,
The sand I walk on

Nothing crappy about them/it. But I will start by saying you don't necessarily need each line of your poem capitalized; it's up to you how you want your verse to read. While conventionally, yes, all poetry in English was printed with caps starting each line, the convention waned in the 20th century and became a subject for artistic expression. If you want your poem to read that way, then do it. If you don't, then just capitalize the lines that start after a period, or with a proper name :)

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Original:

No snow on the ground,
The sand I walk on

No snow on the ground,
The sand I walk on

Thanks for reading the Tanka Prompt and taking the plunge :) Nothing like getting your feet wet. And yes, that is a pun.

With the poem itself, I wonder if too little of yourself is allowed to show. I mean, how exactly do you feel walking the sand in wintertime? Perhaps a bit relieved not to have to be out in the snow.... But I'd just say to remember Tanka are personal poems. If the sight out in nature raised an emotion in you, others may have felt it too and can relate. 

Please keep trying, A! There is promise here for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

Nothing crappy about them/it. But I will start by saying you don't necessarily need each line of your poem capitalized; it's up to you how you want your verse to read. While conventionally, yes, all poetry in English was printed with caps starting each line, the convention waned in the 20th century and became a subject for artistic expression. If you want your poem to read that way, then do it. If you don't, then just capitalize the lines that start after a period, or with a proper name :)

7 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

Thanks for reading the Tanka Prompt and taking the plunge :) Nothing like getting your feet wet. And yes, that is a pun.

With the poem itself, I wonder if too little of yourself is allowed to show. I mean, how exactly do you feel walking the sand in wintertime? Perhaps a bit relieved not to have to be out in the snow.... But I'd just say to remember Tanka are personal poems. If the sight out in nature raised an emotion in you, others may have felt it too and can relate. 

Please keep trying, A! There is promise here for sure. 

Thanks, AC. I'll give it another whack later.

• Like 5

I've started the slow process of gathering poems for a grand anthology on the theme same-sex love. If you know of any, please shoot me a PM! It's especially rewarding to discover poems not composed in the English language, although our own mother tongue still has lots of buried treasures, like this stunner by Chaucer. Hope you enjoy :)

Merciless Beaut

A Triple Roundel, by Geoffrey Chaucer  

I. Captivity

Your eyes of two, whole slay me soddenly 

I may the beaut of him not susteen,

So woundeth it throughout my heart keen 

And but your word, whole healing hastily 

My heart's wound, while that hit is green 

Your eyes of two, whole slay me soddenly; 

I may the beaut of him not susteen.

Upon my truth, I'll say you faithfully,

That they've been of my life and death the queen;

For with my death, the trouble shall be seen

Your eyes of two, whole slay me soddenly 

I may the beaut of him not susteen,

So woundeth it throughout my heart keen. 

II. Rejection 

So hath your beaut from your heart chased 

Pity, that to me now avails not too plain; 

For Danger halts your mercy in his chain. 

Guiltless by death have you thus me purchased 

I'll say you sooth, me needing not to feign,

Pity, that to me now avails not too plain.

Alas! That nature hath in you compassed 

So great a beaut, that no man may obtain 

Its mercy, though he serve for the pain  

Pity, that to me now avails not too plain.

For Danger halts your mercy in his chain. 

III. Escape 

Since I from Love escaped, I am so fat 

I'll never thank to be in his prison lean;

Since I am free, I'll count him not a bean.  

He may answer and say this or that, 

I'll no favors; I'll speak just as I mean

I'll never thank to be in his prison lean.

Love hath my name, and can strike it flat

And he's stricken out of my book clean

For evermore; there's none other to mean 

I'll never thank to be in his prison lean

_

• Like 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

I'll never thank to be in his prison lean

these are all great!  :D  i've never read any Chaucer before.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
On 1/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, AC Benus said:

I've started the slow process of gathering poems for a grand anthology on the theme same-sex love. If you know of any, please shoot me a PM! It's especially rewarding to discover poems not composed in the English language, although our own mother tongue still has lots of buried treasures, like this stunner by Chaucer. Hope you enjoy :)

i haven't looked at Chaucer since High School, and that was a long time ago!

thanks for sharing this AC!  xo

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

It's an effective poem. The use of the repeated sounds and rhymes gives one a jittery feeling; at the risk of offending you, I think this poem makes the skin crawl. But, I'm imagining  that's what you wanted, at least in part. 

And thanks for joining Live-Poets. We're a friendly bunch here, so feel free to ask for advice or help on any project you may have in the works :)

Exactly.  That’s how the book works. it’s a whispered voice that makes no sound but you can still hear it in your mind. The book is talking to you. It talks to whoever is reading it. The more you read it the more you realize it’s alive and has conscience and comes from somewhere else. 🔮🤭🌹

Edited by Asher25
  • Like 3
12 minutes ago, Asher25 said:

Exactly.  That’s how the book works. it’s a whispered voice that makes no sound but you can still hear it in your mind. The book is talking to you. It talks to whoever is reading it. The more you read it the more you realize it’s a alive and has conscience and comes from somewhere else. 🔮🤭🌹

I agree with AC ... and I think your poem is a fair description of how drugs and addiction affect you. I may be missing something but I'm not sure what book you are referring to.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I agree with AC ... and I think your poem is a fair description of how drugs and addiction affect you. I may be missing something but I'm not sure what book you are referring to.

Thank you. It’s the book I’m writing where this page was taken from. There’s hundreds more. There’s multiple volumes and each introduction page is a “Door” you use to walk into each book.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Asher25 said:

Thank you. It’s the book I’m writing where this page was taken from. There’s hundreds more. There’s multiple volumes and each introduction page is a “Door” you use to walk into each book.

Books of verse? Or?

• Like 2