Krista, these cliffhangers of yours are just cruel :P

Aren't they though? :) This one was intentional, but I figured to have a chapter out this week to lighten the torment of it a bit. The writing for the chapter hasn't gone well though. I've had a lot of stops and starts on it. I do hope to finish the chapter though, as I think I have this figured out. It wasn't where I originally intended for it to go, of course, but here we are. 

• Like 2

Hey, you just do you! Painful as cliffhangers are, I'm sure I speak for all your readers when I say that we're willing (if not exactly delighted) to wait for as long as you need. This is a truly fantastic story, and it's worth the wait!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 9:10 PM, AugustusWaters said:

I can't wait!

The chapter is finally posted! :D Hopefully you enjoy it.

Thanks to y'all for putting up with my long chapters, terribly erratic posting schedule, and overall busy life! I do like this story and these characters, hopefully the next part won't be as long or as late. :)

• Like 3

This part was as great as ever! Honestly I like the long chapters. Anything less than 3000 words just feels too short. I guess that's what happens when you go from devouring novels as a kid to studying humanities at college.

Seriously though, great job. Already impatient for the next one ?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, since it has been a bit since I posted my status update: I figured I'd make a post. :D 

It is a bit insignificant as far as plot/story goes.. which is what an "Easter egg," is. If you don't know, it is just something cute or funny that a filmmaker or writer puts into their movies/film/story just to do it for fun. I know that Disney is famous for it (I think you can see Mickey Mouse as stuffed animal/doll or whatever in many of their films).. then you see other characters popping up. Like.. in Frozen you see Rapunzel (sans long magic hair) and Eugene.

So, with that in mind, what could my little uneventful little egg be? :P

• Like 4
16 hours ago, AugustusWaters said:

Yup I got it. But I'll hold on to it for now. No one likes spoilers now do they?

Ahh, you can always shoot me a message. :D I'm curious! lol. 

• Like 3

B)...............Hmmm, very good story Krista!  I can actually see this one with an ending 0:)  So I snuck in here and read everything up to date. I think Cindy knows and has known about her son for years, and has tried to 'turn' him. It is really pathetic that she never saw this day coming, I wonder if her husband knows? He sounds like a hippy to me and to keep calm  he must be still smoking some weed. But I know you would never do that to a character 0:). don't know about the Easter egg, but Luke and Jackson seem to be walking on egg shells.

Edited by Benji
  • Like 3
On 4/17/2017 at 8:46 AM, AugustusWaters said:

Yup I got it. But I'll hold on to it for now. No one likes spoilers now do they?

Easter is over, so give up the egg. You can always hide it in a spoiler quote.

Spoiler

simply press the eye which is on the right side of the bar on top of the post, and you'll get this to hide your text.

• Like 2
On 4/21/2017 at 1:54 AM, Benji said:

B)...............Hmmm, very good story Krista!  I can actually see this one with an ending 0:)  So I snuck in here and read everything up to date. I think Cindy knows and has known about her son for years, and has tried to 'turn' him. It is really pathetic that she never saw this day coming, I wonder if her husband knows? He sounds like a hippy to me and to keep calm  he must be still smoking some weed. But I know you would never do that to a character 0:). don't know about the Easter egg, but Luke and Jackson seem to be walking on egg shells.

Lol. Maybe poor Henry is just a calm natured man... or he's hearing impaired? :P Not sure he's going to be sneaking off to "medicate" himself a bit. I don't think he'd be able to hide that from Cindy.

4 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Easter is over, so give up the egg. You can always hide it in a spoiler quote.

Reveal hidden contents

simply press the eye which is on the right side of the bar on top of the post, and you'll get this to hide your text.

I will in a moment. :D To be fair it isn't a well crafted easter egg to begin with. lol But I thought I just 'might as well' try something sneaky. 

• Like 2

Spoiler warning: If you haven't read any of my other stories, this may be a bit of a minor spoiler for you.. so look at you're own risk.

----

Spoiler

“So,” Toby said, “are we going to kick some Bulldog ass this year or what?”

Thankful for the change in topic I wasn’t going to give the guys any hell over football. Not like I usually would, but I felt myself relax when I saw that Toby had successfully pulled all the attention away from me. Bailey and Conner had both returned followed by the waitress with our drinks, he had successfully managed to get Olivia’s drink order changed. When the water was placed in front of her though, her nose wrinkled, but she didn’t say anything as she accepted her straw.

“What makes you think this year is gonna be any different?” Olivia asked before taking a sip.

“Their quarterback has a broken arm,” Derek explained rubbing his hands together. “And the coach is leaving to take a college position at the end of the school year.”

“Dad told me the coach went off the rail about something,” Ally added squeezing her lemon wedge into her diet coke. “Something about them wanting to strip his son of his captaincy.”

“Because he’s gay, yeah, I heard about that,” Heather said nodding her head. “I knew they were allways ass backwards in that shithole.”

“He’s gay?” Derek asked and I wanted to punch him in the face when he turned to glance at me and smirk.

“Has a boyfriend and everything,” Heather continued shrugging as the second waitress brought us two large pizzas.

I wonder who they're talking about, possibly? ;) 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Krista said:

I will in a moment. :D To be fair it isn't a well crafted easter egg to begin with. lol But I thought I just 'might as well' try something sneaky. 

Actually it was August's guess I wanted, but your egg reveal works too. :) 

And now you've pointed it out, the broken arm was very revealing. :yes: 

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Actually it was August's guess I wanted, but your egg reveal works too. :) 

And now you've pointed it out, the broken arm was very revealing. :yes: 

Oh! Lol. Woops. I hope August still answers. :D 

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

From what I've read here and at nifty, I thought it was part of the job requirement for the high school quarterback to be gay 0:) Am I missing something? :P

Seriously, though, I really enjoyed that other story, though it was so long ago that I had forgotten the details.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Graeme said:

From what I've read here and at nifty, I thought it was part of the job requirement for the high school quarterback to be gay 0:) Am I missing something? :P

Seriously, though, I really enjoyed that other story, though it was so long ago that I had forgotten the details.

Too true. :P lol. I guess it has been awhile between those stories, time flies by! 

• Like 1

Would you guys be.... annoyed? If I wrote a "continuation.." chapter? With this story it seems like I'm restructuring it a lot as I write it and I've come to the conclusion that the next idea that I have for a chapter should have probably been part of Chapter 25 instead of a whole new chapter. I may try to flesh it out, but it may be a short chapter? Then I can go along with the story better.. I'm not sure on the plan, but that is where I'm leaning. The thought came a day later when I was like.. "damn... I can't leave that scene... like that." You probably know what scene I'm talking about... as it was the bit that ended the chapter. :P lol.

Hopefully, I can get it worked out.. I probably already should have been working on it... tsk tsk.. bad Krista.. but I've been thinking on the ideas of where to go next... yes, I am that kind of writer if you haven't figured that out already.. I'm only pretending to know what I'm doing here. :D

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Krista said:

Would you guys be.... annoyed? If I wrote a "continuation.." chapter? With this story it seems like I'm restructuring it a lot as I write it and I've come to the conclusion that the next idea that I have for a chapter should have probably been part of Chapter 25 instead of a whole new chapter. I may try to flesh it out, but it may be a short chapter? Then I can go along with the story better.. I'm not sure on the plan, but that is where I'm leaning. The thought came a day later when I was like.. "damn... I can't leave that scene... like that." You probably know what scene I'm talking about... as it was the bit that ended the chapter. :P lol.

Hopefully, I can get it worked out.. I probably already should have been working on it... tsk tsk.. bad Krista.. but I've been thinking on the ideas of where to go next... yes, I am that kind of writer if you haven't figured that out already.. I'm only pretending to know what I'm doing here. :D

I am totally on board with a small add-on chapter, or whatever you need to do to make things work. :)

• Like 3

I think you should do whatever feels right to you, and now that we can leave more than one comment on a chapter and edit earlier comments, you can get feedback for the addition too, if you prefer to add to chapter 25. Simply leave a note on the next chapter and remind people to check out ch. 25.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Krista, it would make The Best Year chapters easier to read if you didn't have all those empty lines between paragraphs. You only need one 'hard carriage return' after a paragraph, and the editor will add the necessary space once the chapter posts.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Krista, it would make The Best Year chapters easier to read if you didn't have all those empty lines between paragraphs. You only need one 'hard carriage return' after a paragraph, and the editor will add the necessary space once the chapter posts.

Do you mean the space between paragraphs in general? I've noticed that as well, when writing I just press enter once between paragraphs. Something seems to happen between copy/pasting from Google Documents - it did it in the old system, but I could fix it if I kept copy/pasting, eventually the formatting will be normal. This time, I can't seem to make it do that at all.. :( It does cause a lot of scrolling and I know it is annoying. I'll try to work on it and figure it out here in a moment. 

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Krista said:

Do you mean the space between paragraphs in general? I've noticed that as well, when writing I just press enter once between paragraphs. 

Yes, I do. Do you press enter as the paragraph ends and start writing on the next line? Or do you also press enter between the paragraphs.

You managed to do it right in one place in ch. 26

“See you around, he said giving me a short wave.

“See ya,” I said grabbing for his arm as he turned to leave. Only managing to graze it with my fingertips, he stopped anyway, but missing his arm held me back from kissing him. He looked like he was about to take the longest trip of his life and I wanted to say more than I did, but I also knew that we didn’t have the time.

Edited by Timothy M.