On 8/17/2017 at 9:20 PM, Krista said:

Jason,  Alex, Raven, and Matt need to wake up, because Paul is totally planning on taking Josh and Kevin to finals with him. :P I like Paul for the entertainment factor, but he's too pushy, and he uses bullying tactics and that can get a bit too personal. Also, on the live feeds, he swears a ton.. and as a Sweet Southern Belle, I don't like a lot of swearing. Even if I put it in my writing.. lol. 

They are handing Paul $500k and don't ever realize it. I was upset when he lost last year to Nicole, he totally should've won. However, this year he is playing completely different. I would love to see him go up again Evil Dick one season.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, JayT said:

They are handing Paul $500k and don't ever realize it. I was upset when he lost last year to Nicole, he totally should've won. However, this year he is playing completely different. I would love to see him go up again Evil Dick one season.

Eh, I think Paul played a very loud and very 'personal attack' oriented game last season. More so than this season by far, I guess he learned people will listen to him better when he isn't baiting and berating them to death. lol. I think Nicole had moments where she played a better game than Paul, people kept bringing Nicole up, calling her out and such, but she was never put on the block. But yeah, Paul learned from his first season, no one really even suspects him of double dealing. lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

This story is on hold. I updated the status to let you all know there won't be any chapters in the near future. :( What I will do, is finish the story off site so that I can maintain a posting schedule once the story is finished.

I feel that it has lost a lot of readers/comments - etc, because of that.

I apologize for the inconvenience. :) Hopefully I can get it out in a timely manner. 

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, Krista said:

This story is on hold. I updated the status to let you all know there won't be any chapters in the near future. :( What I will do, is finish the story off site so that I can maintain a posting schedule once the story is finished.

I apologize for the inconvenience. :) Hopefully I can get it out in a timely manner. 

Do what works best for you.  I take what I can get whenever it happens! Cheers!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Krista said:

I'm certainly disappointed. However; I understand life and writers block. Do you, I'll be here when you start posting again. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

I have been reading through and doing small edits of this story, I doubt there are many of you that are still actively reading this. I've found some continuity errors and other things that probably happen between long down periods between chapters. If you all see some, feel free to PM me with them so I can go in and edit them. I've already re-read the entire thing quickly and I know I missed some as I'm the author, my brain knows what it meant to write, right? :P 

Also, I'm thinking about posting, "The scene," that kind of derailed the story for me. I liked the scene, but something about it just stopped me in my tracks. Now that I've read the entire story as a whole, I know why so I'm going to cut it. But if you're interested I can copy/paste before that takes place. I also have another deleted scene that I saved from way back that also made me pause and think about the story and what I wanted from it... I can post that one too. They both involve Luke's family.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, wallycleaver said:

Definitely still reading.  Thank you for the two new chapters - it's one of my favorite stories, so I'm hoping for more.

I'm sitting down to write as we speak, I gave myself a Thursday deadline. :P

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • Site Administrator

Notice she didn't name what Thursday specifically :P 

The latest chapter she did share with me on Thursday of this week though, so can't get mad at her for that ;) 

This chapter, like wow. Last chapter the self admission to Jackson that he was not matter what else, his is in love with Luke was heart warming. Then jump to this one, and there is so much going on right now that isn't needed in his life at the moment. 

From the final scene, I hate Jackson will probably force himself to push all his feelings back as he goes to practice and meets with Tony about his swims. Will he be able to do it? I really hope Charlie and possibly Simon will be there to help if he needs it. Not to exclude Drae whom I'm sure would be there to help too.

Thanks for sharing another chapter with us Krista :hug: 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, wildone said:

Notice she didn't name what Thursday specifically :P 

The latest chapter she did share with me on Thursday of this week though, so can't get mad at her for that ;) 

This chapter, like wow. Last chapter the self admission to Jackson that he was not matter what else, his is in love with Luke was heart warming. Then jump to this one, and there is so much going on right now that isn't needed in his life at the moment. 

From the final scene, I hate Jackson will probably force himself to push all his feelings back as he goes to practice and meets with Tony about his swims. Will he be able to do it? I really hope Charlie and possibly Simon will be there to help if he needs it. Not to exclude Drae whom I'm sure would be there to help too.

Thanks for sharing another chapter with us Krista :hug: 

Yeah the last chapter was too full of roses and lilies and wagging puppy dog tails.. songbirds in spring time, and all that mushy garbage. :P 

I had to rectify that real quick... (Months later, but quick for me let's be honest). 

If it keeps snowing, I might have nothing else to do, but to write so I might start on chapter 32. No promises. 

• Haha 1

Krista, I stumbled upon this story today and ended up reading all 30 available chapters this afternoon and evening. As much as I wish there were 30 more chapters I fear I’d not sleep tonight if that were the case. There are several things I really like about the story and I wanted to mention them to you.

The characters feel real to me like people I grew up with in the Midwest.They’re not sex obsessed and nothing feels rushed. 

I really get Jackson’s struggle with sexual orientation. I struggled with labeling what I am for a long time because at first I thought I’m bisexual and then I wondered if maybe I’m more pansexual so the fact that 30 chapters in Jackson simply wants to be with Luke really speaks to my experience.

I like that Jackson has to put in a lot of hard work to live his dream. While he’s doing well, he struggled for a bit and he clearly has to sacrifice time to reach his goal of being a college athlete. Too many stories skip over the sacrifices athletes make to reach their goals and this one doesn’t.

You’ve added references to church and religion without making the story about either. Your sets of parents attend the same church but are not the same, which is just one of many examples of how your characters all seem real to me almost like representations of different people I grew up with.

Based on this story I’m going to read some of your other work because I really like what you’ve done with this one. It reminds me so much of my Midwest childhood.

I keep thinking of things I like but I’ll stop now because some of them might ruin the story for others that don’t obsessively read all the chapters in one sitting. 🙈

• Like 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, just4hugs said:

Krista, I stumbled upon this story today and ended up reading all 30 available chapters this afternoon and evening. As much as I wish there were 30 more chapters I fear I’d not sleep tonight if that were the case. There are several things I really like about the story and I wanted to mention them to you.

The characters feel real to me like people I grew up with in the Midwest.They’re not sex obsessed and nothing feels rushed. 

I really get Jackson’s struggle with sexual orientation. I struggled with labeling what I am for a long time because at first I thought I’m bisexual and then I wondered if maybe I’m more pansexual so the fact that 30 chapters in Jackson simply wants to be with Luke really speaks to my experience.

I like that Jackson has to put in a lot of hard work to live his dream. While he’s doing well, he struggled for a bit and he clearly has to sacrifice time to reach his goal of being a college athlete. Too many stories skip over the sacrifices athletes make to reach their goals and this one doesn’t.

You’ve added references to church and religion without making the story about either. Your sets of parents attend the same church but are not the same, which is just one of many examples of how your characters all seem real to me almost like representations of different people I grew up with.

Based on this story I’m going to read some of your other work because I really like what you’ve done with this one. It reminds me so much of my Midwest childhood.

I keep thinking of things I like but I’ll stop now because some of them might ruin the story for others that don’t obsessively read all the chapters in one sitting. 🙈

Hi and welcome!

I go into my newer stories with the idea of real characters and I like to think I'm getting just a little bit good at doing that by now. lol. Thank you for reviewing this story, it has been a long road (and a lot of waiting for me to actually write unfortunately), I still have a ways to go before the completion of this story as well. Who knows, it might be 30 chapters from now, too bad I might be collecting my crazy old lady check by the time I'm done writing it though. :D

I also went in not wanting to completely label Jackson. In the beginning people were a bit worried Jackson wouldn't be gay or bi, or whatever he is. I personally still don't know, I still don't want to label him. I think if I did that within the context of this story, then Luke's relationship with him wouldn't be as organic as it is. There was nothing guaranteed with them being together, there was evidence to the contrary as far as Allison was concerned, so when it happened, I like to think people were like... YESS! Thank you for sharing your own experiences with your sexuality as well, it may help me map Jackson out a little bit as well. 

I like adding a bit of religion in some of my stories because of where I grew up (Southern Belle here). Religion is all around me (Like Luke, I tend to find it in nature/natural settings) and I myself am little bit religious (I'm more of the, I want to have a 1 on 1 journey), so I do like to season the stories with it, but I also do realize it can become overwhelming so I, aside from, "Are You Christian," don't dwell on it too much. I do think small things like Religion, hobbies, interests, and etc is an easy way for writers to add realism to their stories. It doesn't have to be central, just off-handedness every now and again as reminders and it separates the characters a bit. 

I'm so glad you have enjoyed this story so far. :) Thank you again for your kind words. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I was thinking of another aspect of Jackson and Luke’s experience I identify with. I watched a lot of “instructional videos” in my teens thinking it would help prepare me for my first time. The awkwardness they share really matched my first few experiences and it felt nice having that reality represented in a story instead of the almost impossible fantasy we see portrayed in many stories and those videos. My first real make out session led to a near concussion when we accidentally banged our heads together. 😂

• Haha 2
42 minutes ago, just4hugs said:

I was thinking of another aspect of Jackson and Luke’s experience I identify with. I watched a lot of “instructional videos” in my teens thinking it would help prepare me for my first time. The awkwardness they share really matched my first few experiences and it felt nice having that reality represented in a story instead of the almost impossible fantasy we see portrayed in many stories and those videos. My first real make out session led to a near concussion when we accidentally banged our heads together. 😂

Well so far, they've knocked heads and nearly drowned, so it has to get better for them eventually. :P

• Haha 1
  • 10 months later...

I can imagine it must be hard to get into the headspace of "The Best Year"  in 2021.   But Jackson and Luke have some business to attend to, and Cindy  needs to be sorted out and when do we get the swimming  showdown with Pete.  the villainous  doper!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 11:27 PM, Mattyboy said:

I can imagine it must be hard to get into the headspace of "The Best Year"  in 2021.   But Jackson and Luke have some business to attend to, and Cindy  needs to be sorted out and when do we get the swimming  showdown with Pete.  the villainous  doper!

ahh.. you snuck this in more than a couple of weeks ago. :P I need to check this stuff more often... and maybe click "follow.." on some threads so I actually get notifications.

Unfortunately, Chapter 40 is still blank. I have a document started for it and Google Docs likes to remind you how long something has been sitting unedited.. and it has ticked over to.. "Last Edited Earlier this Year.." so yikes. I'll have to look to see exactly when I last updated the story.

I keep saying that I'll complete projects before I start posting, this has shown me that I need to do that and stick to my convictions on that. My life is just too busy for me to put aside a lot of time to actually write and when something somewhat derails me in a story, it takes me a long time to right the train again. So I will continue to apologize for the delays. 

I mean I have a lot of content waiting. So I just need to pick something and run with it. 

--

My other project is 38 pages so far. It was supposed to be a short story... I think I've lost that battle and it is becoming bigger than what I expected. So if no one reads it, I'll be completely bummed. lol. 

Edited by Krista
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, I finished, the super-not so secret- side project. I also did a huge DNF on Chapter 40, so I'll have to go back and just try something different. I mean, the ever cheeky and in need of a time-out corner @wildonedidn't really like it. Not enough to fight me to save it when I told him that I was going to scrap it.

It had some good points that I could steal - if the second attempt is at least similar. So it wasn't a complete wash. 

• 1 month later...