Things Newbie Authors Do

Normally, I read for enjoyment. So, I hardly ever consider any mistakes made by an author. However, lately, I have began to take greater notice of mistakes and cliches in stories that I read. One author in particular that I've started reading last week is from Literotica. The author, while not "new" hasn't really changed her style of writing. For me that is a problem, because the author relies so much on "-ly" adverbs and adjectives. I honestly never noticed the problem with them before, but the stories by this author used them so much, I noticed. :pinch:

Example (in just one sentence from a story):

• absolutely
  • completely
  • totally
  • utterly

Honestly, I now have a greater appreciation for all you editors, especially when you tell us "-ly" words suck :lol:

Speaking of cliched... I used to read the YA stories on Wattpad, and my god... they were chock full of cliches, hell I've lost the number of times I've read a story that said, "this is not a cliched story." And it turns out it freaking is, lol! :facepalm: And to add to all that, because I've seen it so often, they turned the word "cliche" into a cliche. :rolleyes:

Edited by Drew Espinosa
  • Like 3

• absolutely
  • completely
  • totally
  • utterly

Don't forget these ones:

• really
  • finally
  • probably
  • simply
  • apparently

One of my editors just nailed me on all of those. The sad thing is, most of the sentences they are used in, would sound fine without them.

• Like 3

LOL I like reading posts like that, since I struggle with annoying habits like those mentioned. I decided early on to just eliminate speech tags, but worry that I'm overdoing it when I avoid 'said'. Wordiness is another pitfall of mine. I really should challenge myself to do a flash series or something. I tend to go on and on... Like now. ;)

Thanks for the tip, Cia!

Edited by Puppilull
  • Like 3

A great info post Cia :)

My pitfalls are grammar, which is where I rely on Tim ;) and don't even mention commas to me :o .Oh, and using the wrong words. In my latest it was pointed out to me principal v principle :facepalm:

• Like 3

I'm glad I never plan to do any writing professionally. I would worry too much about all the no-no's on her list.

Of the things mentioned above I'm definitely guilty of the adverb overuse. :*)

Stephen King has a great quote in his book On Writing: "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." I think he's right.

• Like 3

A mistake that I've caught myself doing all the time is the "TMI" (too much information). In my head, I have a very explicit picture of the reasoning and motivations of my characters, what they feel, think, decide, and so on. But I tend to put too much of that into simple action-descriptions and over-share, which kills the rhythm of an action-laden scene faster than too many "-ly"s.

I've noticed the same thing in some of the stories that for some reason didn't glue me to the sceen, even though I really liked the idea behind the story. If it isn't the head-hopping, this definitely scares me off. And here I'm doing it myself! :huh:

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh, man. The cringe is strong in this -  I was guilty of quite a few of those mistakes at some point or another. The one I can't shake off no matter how hard I try is eliminating my 'that's.  I've had a couple of editors point out that, if you can say something coherently without using that, then you probably should.  Oops -  I used a that.  See what I mean??

Also, I know adverbs are generally frowned upon, but I think they are necessary from time to time. They wouldn't exist otherwise, right? :)

• Like 5

A lot useful article Cia. As a newbie I tend to do a lot of mistakes too. My ever so mistake is that( :blushing: ) I just( :blushing: again) use way more 'that's and 'just's. Every time Kitt will force me to remove them, so does SkinnyD.

This article will be a lot of help if I try to read it completely(which is going to take ours) and understand ( :lol: ) it properly(which will take some days) to improve my writing skills.

• Like 2

A lot useful article Cia. As a newbie I tend to do a lot of mistakes too. My ever so mistake is that( :blushing: ) I just( :blushing: again) use way more 'that's and 'just's. Every time Kitt will force me to remove them, so does SkinnyD.

We should make a support group for helpless that users. I propose we name ourselves The Just Thats.

• Like 5
  • Site Administrator

We should make a support group for helpless that users. I propose we name ourselves The Just Thats.

:gikkle:  

• Like 1

That'd be a freakin' great title for a story! :lol:

Which reminds me, are there any stories that parody these mistakes? I'd love to read them! :gikkle:

PS: OMG! :o Cia's no longer a lioness!

• Like 2

Which reminds me, are there any stories that parody these mistakes? I'd love to read them! :gikkle:

What an awesome idea, Drew! Reading a parody story on every single newbie mistake would be hilarious. Also, I shamelessly admit I'm making this post to admire my new Promising Author flair. I'm so happy! :D

• Like 5

What an awesome idea, Drew! Reading a parody story on every single newbie mistake would be hilarious. Also, I shamelessly admit I'm making this post to admire my new Promising Author flair. I'm so happy! :D

Indulge yourself Albert, you deserve to rock the purple! :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Site Administrator