2016 Fall Anthology: Blindsided / The Forgotten ~ Discussion

• Site Administrator

I have an idea and a basic outline written.  If it ends up working, I will be incorporating both themes into my story.  :)

• Like 2

Hmm, The Forgotten, I was going to do a story for this theme anyway, so I might as well just get started now rather than wait. :) I may have an idea for Blindsided as well.. but I'm not sure on that one. 

• Like 2

Some readers don't like it if you 'continue' a story from one anthology to the next, i.e. using the same characters but telling a new story which is supposed to stand alone. And I guess it can be seen as cheating a bit, although we would have missed out on some great stories, if it was completely out of the question, eg Cia's Maze for Three and Valkyrie's Max and Elliot series.

So I'm thinking about doing another A.I. story using the theme Blindsided, since that might well describe Imp's feelings when he wakes up with a cute blue angel cuddled up to him. :lol:

But in order to make this a real stand alone, I'm wondering whether to use Angel's POV and sort of go back to the beginning. Any comments on that?

• Site Administrator

Some readers don't like it if you 'continue' a story from one anthology to the next, i.e. using the same characters but telling a new story which is supposed to stand alone. And I guess it can be seen as cheating a bit, although we would have missed out on some great stories, if it was completely out of the question, eg Cia's Maze for Three and Valkyrie's Max and Elliot series.

So I'm thinking about doing another A.I. story using the theme Blindsided, since that might well describe Imp's feelings when he wakes up with a cute blue angel cuddled up to him. :lol:

But in order to make this a real stand alone, I'm wondering whether to use Angel's POV and sort of go back to the beginning. Any comments on that?

You don't have to go back to the beginning as long as you include enough background information for an unfamiliar reader to understand the significance of what's happening.  That can be done through flashbacks or including the characters' thoughts.  I found the tricky part of writing the sequels to Max and Elliot was including enough information for new readers to understand what was happening and not bog it down to the point where readers familiar with the series were bored with repeated information.  Thanks the the shout-out, by the way :hug: 

• Like 1

I found the tricky part of writing the sequels to Max and Elliot was including enough information for new readers to understand what was happening and not bog it down to the point where readers familiar with the series were bored with repeated information.  

Yeah, that's the tricky part. But at least I have plenty of time to work it out. A whole summer - and it's not as if I have any other stuff to write... apart from my three Incomplete stories  :rolleyes::lol:

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Yeah, that's the tricky part. But at least I have plenty of time to work it out. A whole summer - and it's not as if I have any other stuff to write... apart from my three Incomplete stories   :rolleyes::lol:

If it's possible, I would suggest enlisting a beta reader who hasn't read the prior story.  That way you'll know for sure if it's a stand-alone that makes sense to new readers.  :) 

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the tricky part. But at least I have plenty of time to work it out. A whole summer - and it's not as if I have any other stuff to write... apart from my three Incomplete stories   :rolleyes::lol:

If it helps, I'd also be willing to volunteer as a beta reader for that particular story, since I loved the first one so much. I'd even edit for you if you'd like, and I don't make that offer very often. :)

• Like 2

If it helps, I'd also be willing to volunteer as a beta reader for that particular story, since I loved the first one so much. I'd even edit for you if you'd like, and I don't make that offer very often. :)

Thanks, Cynus, I'll keep that in mind, although you don't fit the criteria mention by Val (below). But who of my friends would? ;)

If it's possible, I would suggest enlisting a beta reader who hasn't read the prior story.  That way you'll know for sure if it's a stand-alone that makes sense to new readers.   :)

PS Cynus, don't forget you wanted to write the story of how the A.I. teams came to be. Perhaps the theme 'The Forgotten' could be used?

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

Thanks, Cynus, I'll keep that in mind, although you don't fit the criteria mention by Val (below). But who of my friends would? ;)

PS Cynus, don't forget you wanted to write the story of how the A.I. teams came to be. Perhaps the theme 'The Forgotten' could be used?

I didn't read the prior story. I totally forgot.  :*)  :blushing:  :facepalm:  :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I didn't read the prior story. I totally forgot.  :*)  :blushing:  :facepalm:  :rofl:

I think that means you're hired as beta lol  

• Like 1

What? You mean I shouldn't read it now?

Now I'm conflicted, I want to hear what you think about Angel and Imp, but Val has a good point about a beta reader without prior knowledge. :pinch: Ummmmm, no I can't wait. Please read if you want to. :D

• Like 2

Now I'm conflicted, I want to hear what you think about Angel and Imp, but Val has a good point about a beta reader without prior knowledge. :pinch: Ummmmm, no I can't wait. Please read if you want to. :D

Okay.  :read:

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

A beta reader with a bad memory who's already read it would also suffice... :gikkle:  

• Like 1

A beta reader with a bad memory who's already read it would also suffice... :gikkle:

are you offering to help? :lol:

I'll do it. I haven't had time to read any of the anthology stories yet.  

thanks, my friend, I'll keep that in mind. :hug: Don't let it keep you from reading my story, if you want to.

• Like 1

...had a dark dream last night that may provide the perfect storyline...problem is time 

Hmmmmmmm! Looks like I may have found a solution. Seems a joint venture is in the offing :)

• Like 3

Here is a question from a newbie about submitting to the anthology, but also about GA stories in general.

I have a short story, 1100 words, which I am thinking of submitting. The theme fits with 'The Forgotten,' perhaps, no definitely, not at all in the way you might imagine, but I don't think that poses a problem as tenuous links are acceptable.

No, the question is whether or not stories on GA are supposed to be only gay themes? If so my story has equally only a tenuous link to being gay. That means it is not a gay themed story, in fact I am not at all sure about the genre, but I think I can solve that last issue.

So what do you think, is the anthology collection and GA generally reserved for gay novels?

• Like 1

No, the question is whether or not stories on GA are supposed to be only gay themes?

The answer is no. Gay Authors is a place for authors who are LGBT, or who are interested in adding a their voice to the Gay Experience. Readers naturally are varied. Your (our) stories do not have to always fall into the well-worn grooves to find a place and appreciative audience here :)      

• Like 2