W.a.r. By Jeff Wilson (Jkwsquirrel)

Well, fun as it was to see Billy and Brett again, we're moving onward with the next chapter on Monday. 

While it was fun to catch up with the boys, one of the key moments of the chapter, I thought, was Dustin's interaction with his mom at the beginning of the chapter.  This is the behind the scenes kind of moment I couldn't show in WAR, and really shows the kind of person Dustin is behind the bravado.  Despite everything that happened, he loves his mom, and she loves her 'sweet little Dusty.'  She played her part in Dustin's abusive upbringing, but it's those quiet moments that reveal the deepness of their love, which is genuine.  As Dustin said, she's not an innocent bystander.  Abusive relationships are far more complicated than we might think.  It's easy to look in from the outside and say "Why don't you..." or Why didn't you..."  There is always something more going on than we realize.  So, if readers hate the woman, I don't blame them.  But Dustin doesn't hate her, in fact he loves her very deeply.  And that's his right.

I was also interested in the conversation between Brett and Dustin because it gave us a chance to see how two of the closest people to Billy think about him when he's not around.  The story may be called "Dustin's World," but we may just learn more about Brett Reilly than we do about Dustin.  That these two would sit down and have a conversation together and be nice to each other showed a lot of maturity.  And if you look closely, you might just see that while Brett says he's doing everything for Billy, he might just have deeper motivations for reaching out to Dustin.  But that's for a later time!

Okay, so next Monday comes "The Lost Souls in the Fishbowl"  Can't go wrong with a Pink Floyd-themed chapter title, right?  Here's your teaser quote:

"What did you expect to see when you opened your eyes after you tried to kill yourself?”

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

The most shocking display of villainy in WAR and Dustin's World ever?  We've got it for you in the latest chapter: "The Lie in the Hallway."  Actually, we may have two of them!  It's one hell of a chapter!

Oh definitely most shocking display! All I can say is that bitch in reference to multiple characters

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, last chapter was kind of like putting on an old comfortable pair of sneakers, huh?  Back in Billy's house.  Back to the three boys arguing over deep issues.  Billy being Billy even after three years. (Has that boy ever won a bet in his life?)  It felt like home, didn't it?  Now, we get to the real good stuff!  Brett and Dustin, alone in a car together.  Business is about to pick up!

From The Answer in the Blood:

“Don’t expect me to be a replacement for Joey.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

So nine months ago, I got myself into some trouble.  It was trouble of my own making.  I had cloaked myself in lies and when the lies were exposed I got everything that I deserved.  Almost.  I should have lost everything, but I didn't.  I'm married to the most amazing person I know, and the truth being exposed, while painful, led to a better relationship.  She let me tell my story.  She didn't have to.  And now, with the publishing of the next chapter, that story will be complete.  I had to write Dustin's World to tell the whole story.  See, the bad guys won in WAR.  DW showed the aftermath of those victories, the damage they caused to themselves and their community.  DW started with the characters thoroughly soaked in misery.  But through the course of the story, the misery has been replaced with hope and the promise of a future.  My own journey through the telling of the story has been similar.  There's a guy behind the words, a man trying to be the best person he can be, the best husband and father possible in this crazy world of ours.  Nine months ago, it all seemed hopeless and I thought I'd fucked things up forever.  Today, I've just finished writing the last chapter of WAR, and my misery has become joy as I hold my new daughter in my hands.  Out of the misery came my greatest joy.  Darkness cannot overcome the light, friends.  So in a few days, I hope you'll enjoy the last chapter of WAR/DW - The Light in the Darkness.  And afterward, I hope you'll be the light for others, as I hope I can be as well.

• Love 2
  • 10 months later...

Betrayal...  Manipulation...  Revenge...  War?  

"I hoped someone would knock him off his high horse some day before he made valedictorian, but it didn’t look good.  The last thing the school needed was that intolerable blond asshole to represent us..."

"You keep acting the way you are, and you’re never going to amount to anything in this world of ours.  It’s vicious and cruel and only the strong survive.  Do you want to be a wimp and a loser for the rest of your life?”

“Brett Reilly is a menace, Mr. Jackson.  How he’s managed to keep himself from getting expelled on more than one occasion is a miracle.  Why would someone like you want to be associated with someone like him?”

“We’re in a club together.”

"Only I know what you boys have been through.  I know what it’s like to be abandoned and abused.  I know what it’s like to be afraid of what version of my father was going to come home on a particular night.”

“You’ve always told me the truth,” Dustin said, tears welling up in his eyes.

Gear up, friends, we're going to WAR!

"People are going to get hurt along the way, Aiden.  Wouldn’t you rather it be them instead of us?”

Aiden's War - coming soon.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1

Wednesdays sound great!
;–)

On Sunday I woke up to 66 Notifications. And that was even though I’d read a new chapter that dropped just before I went to sleep. There were several other new chapters that arrived before I woke up. All are part of very popular stories with dozens of Comments each within days. One has reached Comment Page Three in just three days.

It would be nice to have things spread out a little bit (although I’m already following a story that drops on Sundays and Wednesdays).