W.a.r. By Jeff Wilson (Jkwsquirrel)

6 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Not excusing, but explains selfishness towards Brett. As vocal as Brett is. Billy might have a very difficult time interpreting and expressing emotion.

That's exactly what the problem is, Billy is almost unable to perceive and interpret the signals Brett was sending him.  The question is, will Billy see it as an explanation or an excuse?  I half-expect him to rush to Brett's house and tell him, thinking it's the magical answer that will make everything alright again, like he did every other time they had a fight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Shadow086 said:

That's exactly what the problem is, Billy is almost unable to perceive and interpret the signals Brett was sending him.  The question is, will Billy see it as an explanation or an excuse?  I half-expect him to rush to Brett's house and tell him, thinking it's the magical answer that will make everything alright again, like he did every other time they had a fight.

I don’t think so. I think Billy might internalize that knowledge as a defect.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

I don’t think so. I think Billy might internalize that knowledge as a defect.

From what he told Paula, I feel he already has without knowing exactly what it was.  That's where the "I feel like there's something wrong with me" comments come from.  I think he felt the same as when he punched the mirror, except now he's able to verbalise it.

Edit: It's like he knew he's different from everyone else but didn't understand why.  Paula just gave him that missing piece of the puzzle.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Love 2

This is amazing. I loved this story so much when it was posted on Nifty. I saved it on my computer and the folder is dated 1/3/2012 but this was the day it was modified not when it was created. The last chapter saved was labeled "Part 6 Chapter 22 -- Another Day at the Park  (a.k.a. The Last Chapter)". Is this the same story or added chapters?

It seems like I came in when Jeff's private life is in turmoil and I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope everything turns out o.k. WAR is one of my all time favorite stories and I reread it in it's entirety in Sept of 2017. :read:

• Like 1
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, JeremyMe said:

This is amazing. I loved this story so much when it was posted on Nifty. I saved it on my computer and the folder is dated 1/3/2012 but this was the day it was modified not when it was created. The last chapter saved was labeled "Part 6 Chapter 22 -- Another Day at the Park  (a.k.a. The Last Chapter)". Is this the same story or added chapters?

It seems like I came in when Jeff's private life is in turmoil and I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope everything turns out o.k. WAR is one of my all time favorite stories and I reread it in it's entirety in Sept of 2017. :read:

Welcome Jeremy!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, JeremyMe said:

Thanks JeremyMe!  Yeah, life is funny.  Things have improved IRL, and that's good.  Could have been an absolute disaster.  And yes, this is version 2.0 of the story.  I'm glad you enjoyed it before.  Hopefully version 2.0 is even better.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, jkwsquirrel said:

Thanks JeremyMe!  Yeah, life is funny.  Things have improved IRL, and that's good.  Could have been an absolute disaster.  And yes, this is version 2.0 of the story.  I'm glad you enjoyed it before.  Hopefully version 2.0 is even better.

I guess I'll just have to read it again. Life's a bit__. :2thumbs: Glad to hear things are better.

• Love 2

So, I'm gearing up for the next chapter, which is a doozy.  I've finally run out of spare chapters.  Usually, I have a few in the tank, but recent circumstances have limited my writing time.  For those wondering, home life has been great.  The power of honesty goes a long way, I guess my writing was a way of processing that.

So what about last chapter, huh?  Here's the thing - Joey was really the key I needed to do these last few chapters where Billy and Brett weren't on speaking terms.  Joey is the key to showing what's up on Brett's side of things, and what did we learn?  When Brett first found out, he was furious.  And when Brett is furious he wants to hurt whoever hurt him even worse.  That's been his m.o. from childhood.  Brett had made a lot of progress through part 5, and even most of part 6 he was on the right path.  Then he broke his leg and had nothing to do but think.  Then he got bored and started investigating, and thinking some more.  When he discovered the truth, all he wanted to do was get revenge.  But what happened?  He went nuclear on Billy, and just like Billy came to regret nuking Joey, Brett has come to regret what he did to Billy, even if he was justified in being angry.  And that's where the growth begins.  Brett didn't continue his plans, plans which included destroying his mother's reputation and Jack's family.  He really really wanted to be vindictive and crush them, but seeing what he did to Billy made him change his mind.  Or maybe it was more seeing what he did to Billy did to himself?  He reverted to the bratty version of himself, even smoking a joint to cope with the pain.  He didn't particularly care for that side of himself. Seeing what getting his revenge on Billy did to himself, he abandoned his plans for Jack and his mom.  Billy, assuming that surely Brett had exposed things, kept expecting word to get out about Jack and Jen, but it never happened.  Then Billy ended up being the one who revealed to Jack that Brett knew, since Billy assumed Jack had already found out.  So by not going through with his plans for revenge, Brett gave Billy the opportunity (without even realizing it) he needed to begin his own redemption by shaking off the shackles Jack and Jen's lies had placed on him.  He also gave Jack a chance for redemption, which could only happen if Jack came clean to his wife instead of her finding out from a ranting 18-year-old kid.  Or at least that was what I was going for.  It couldn't just be about Billy finding his way back.  It's Brett's story too.  Leaving Billy stranded in a town a hundred miles from home wasn't quite as bad as telling Dustin he was glad his parents abused him, but it was a low moment.  How will it all work out?  We'll find out soon!

Edited by jkwsquirrel
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Still think theres something to be said for good ol’vengeance.  Why not lash out at Jack, unless he’s trying to shield Joey from the fallout.  

Second - while Billy might feel kind of bad about what happened to Joey, I haven’t seen much in the way of real regret (which is honestly all to the good haha).

In both cases, I guess,  I’m all for the payback and not sure what the issue is.  Unless it’s just the whole “hollowness of revenge” deal.  Which is honestly pretty hit or miss for me haha  

• Haha 2

I love the irony in the latest chapter Jeff. The fact that the conservative homophobia exists, not surprising. The no same sex couples would be expected in a place like that town.  While the ones in charge sermonize... Carl, Jack, and Mr. Taylor all have gay sons. Karma is a beautiful thing!!!

Edited by BlindAmbition
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

I love the irony in the latest chapter Jeff. The fact that the conservative homophobia exists, not surprising. The no same sex couples would be expected in a place like. While the ones in charge sermonize... Carl, Jack, and Mr. Taylor all have gay sons. Karma is a beautiful thing!!!

Is Mr. Taylor really homophobic, or is he just using that as an excuse to eliminate Billy from contention for valedictorian?  I'm not so sure about that.  Same goes for Jack.  Carl is the only one of the three who was proven to be homophobic.

I find it a little funny and sad that while this was going on, north of the border we were about to legalise same-sex marriage.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Shadow086 said:

Is Mr. Taylor really homophobic, or is he just using that as an excuse to eliminate Billy from contention for valedictorian?  I'm not so sure about that.  Same goes for Jack.  Carl is the only one of the three who was proven to be homophobic.

They may not hate gays, but using someone’s gayness to hold them back from something... discriminatory, and hints of homophobia.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, BlindAmbition said:

They may not hate gays, but using someone’s gayness to hold them back from something... discriminatory, and hints of homophobia.

I see it more as a corrupt politician using any means necessary to push rivals out of the way.  I'm ready to bet that this rule would never have been put in place if Billy wasn't in the running for valedictorian.  As for Jack, I never got a homophobic vibe from him (otherwise he would have stopped trying to be involved in Brett's life).  Threatening to out someone to keep them in line is blackmail for sure, but I don't really see the homophobia in that.  Billy's sexuality was just the most convenient way for them to marginalise him, and they probably want to suck up to Carl as well.

At least it looks like their plan's going to backfire since the students seem to be more on Billy's side than Sarah's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

I see it more as a corrupt politician using any means necessary to push rivals out of the way. 

This was what I was going for.  I don't think Mr. Taylor particularly cares who is gay, he just wants to get Billy out of the way.  I pictured him as being embarrassed about Kenny, his dirty little secret that he sent off to private school rather than be embarrassed by the gay son.  Maybe that's why he's so over-the-top in his support of Sarah?

• Haha 3
8 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

I love the irony in the latest chapter Jeff. The fact that the conservative homophobia exists, not surprising. The no same sex couples would be expected in a place like that town.  While the ones in charge sermonize... Carl, Jack, and Mr. Taylor all have gay sons. Karma is a beautiful thing!!!

I do love irony!  Just a thought, For all Carl's bluster and pompousness, the reality is he has failed to convince the town of his rightness.  He booted out Nate, but no one else followed his lead and according to David his rejection of Nate caused a lot of controversy.  His rhetoric has become more toxic than convincing.  Ever know somebody who has an axe to grind and it seems like that's all they ever talk about?  What's your reaction to that, blind obedience to their cause or eye rolling?  We don't know much about Jack's involvement in the church, just that he's an influential member of the community.  He did seem to conveniently disappear before Brett and Billy danced.  Oh, another bit of irony!  The "homo-patrol" was done in by their own rules.  No one knows more about how to exploit the rules than a career troublemaker and rule breaker!

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, jkwsquirrel said:

He did seem to conveniently disappear before Brett and Billy danced.  Oh, another bit of irony!  The "homo-patrol" was done in by their own rules.  No one knows more about how to exploit the rules than a career troublemaker and rule breaker!

Yes, and somehow I don't think Jack is going to let the "homo-patrol" screw over his darling son just so Daddy's little girl can have a clear path to valedictorian.

• Haha 2
On 4/13/2018 at 12:08 AM, jkwsquirrel said:

This was what I was going for.  I don't think Mr. Taylor particularly cares who is gay, he just wants to get Billy out of the way.  I pictured him as being embarrassed about Kenny, his dirty little secret that he sent off to private school rather than be embarrassed by the gay son.  Maybe that's why he's so over-the-top in his support of Sarah?

I'm starting to wish the ages matched up so that Nate Stevens can be Kenny's boyfriend.  That would really amuse me for some reason.

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

Just a quick head's up - I won't be updating the story this week.  Life is just a little too busy at the moment.  Hopefully I'll get it taken care of for next week, but it's a big chapter.  We'll see.  Shouldn't be too long of a delay.  And don't worry about me, all is well!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1

From "Retaliation" chapter 15 the Cabin George says:

“Someday you’ll learn to tell when someone is bluffing,” dad told me as he shuffled the cards. “Then you’ll be unstoppable.”

Just wondering if in the next chapter Billy learns that lesson???  The history teacher (who shall now remain nameless) has to be bluffing!!  He has far more to lose that Billy would if this video does come out. 

Eagerly awaiting next chapter to find out the answer.  Thanks again Jeff!!

• Haha 2