6 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I said all that. It’s amazing anyone could understand what I said at all. You understand mumble very well!  ;–)

you're my favourite!!!  come and join me for a doughnut ... we can be neighbours .. lol  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

Somehow your namesake hasn’t made it to the older, more populous, other CA!  ;–)

69b0ca8d1eb27ffef39392da0c8b92ef.thumb.j

HA!  well if they ever get there (and tbh they are not anywhere as good as they used to be)  stick with the sour cream glazed donuts.. and Timbits are nice when they are fresh .. LOL

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

HA!  well if they ever get there (and tbh they are not anywhere as good as they used to be)  stick with the sour cream glazed donuts.. and Timbits are nice when they are fresh .. LOL

Did the change correlate with Burger King’s takeover of the company?  ;–)

Or does it go back to when Wendy’s owned them?  ;–)

Edited by Former Member
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

Did the change correlate with Burger King’s takeover of the company?  ;–)

Nope, it began when Tim Horton's widow sold it to Cara Foods. 

• Wow 1
30 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Nope, it began when Tim Horton's widow sold it to Cara Foods. 

Wikipedia mentions Tim Horton opening a restaurant. A former Hamilton police constable took over the shop and a few years later they became full partners. When Tim Horton died in an auto crash in 1974, the former constable bought out the Horton family. The article doesn’t mention Cara Foods at all (and the Wikipedia article for Cara Foods doesn’t mention Tims).

There is reference to a switch from donuts made in store to parbaked and frozen donuts, but there’s not date listed for the change although there was a news report in 2003 and a lawsuit in 2008 over the change.  ;–)

Edited by Former Member
10 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Wikipedia mentions Tim Horton opening a restaurant. A former Hamilton police constable took over the shop and a few years later they became full partners. When Tim Horton died in an auto crash in 1974, the former constable bought out the Horton family. The article doesn’t mention Cara Foods at all (and the Wikipedia article for Cara Foods doesn’t mention Tims).

There is reference to a switch from donuts made in store to parbaked and frozen donuts, but there’s not date listed for the change although there was a news report in 2003 and a lawsuit in 2008 over the change.  ;–)

i could be wrong . i'm sure i read that somewhere .. however i am not a fan of the place, i may go there once a year and well, i admit to not really caring about their history. So since you have done so ... i'd say once it was sold to whoever, it started to go downhill. unfresh doughnuts are the worst.

however even worse than theirs are some 'high class' type fancy crap doughnuts we got for being good doo-bees at work.  Each cost like $5 ... frankly Tim's are better.  It was god awful. I hope i never win another. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

i could be wrong . i'm sure i read that somewhere .. however i am not a fan of the place, i may go there once a year and well, i admit to not really caring about their history. So since you have done so ... i'd say once it was sold to whoever, it started to go downhill. unfresh doughnuts are the worst.

however even worse than theirs are some 'high class' type fancy crap doughnuts we got for being good doo-bees at work.  Each cost like $5 ... frankly Tim's are better.  It was god awful. I hope i never win another. 

I was amused that there was a police connection even at the very beginning!  ;–)

If you win again, you could give it away!  ;–)

If you want to be rude about it and it’s presented in a big meeting, you could turn around and ask if anybody wanted it! Or you could thank them, but leave it behind. I think the rudest way would be to say, ‘No thank you!’ But those aren’t very Canadian things to do, so you could also give it to a homeless person…  ;–)

• 4 weeks later...

For quite a few chapters now, especially after the latest, I've felt someone should ask a question of Don and Sue regarding their parenting of Robbie.  *Ahem*

Why do you SUCK at this?!

No, really.  The homophobia aside, they have completely ignored Robbie's need dealing with his mother's death.  A lot of readers noticed the lack of this pretty early on, then Dodger showed it through Robbie's deteriorating mental state so we knew this was part of the story but really?  Don, according to Dodger was raised to believe that men should deal with these feelings on their own but I would expect a more enlightened approach from Sue since she's a nurse.  Though of course, her reaction to Robbie's coming out, though initially promising, was less than ideal.  While she seems to understand it's something he can't change, she treats it like it's a some kind of disability that he has to live with and hide the best he can in order to fit into normal society - a sort of burden to bear.

They just really don't want to deal with it, don't they?  Robbie did alright when he first arrived but that was really just self preservation on his part - pushing aside his feelings while he adapted to a new life - they seem to think that can just continue...

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Israfil said:

…pushing aside his feelings while he adapted to a new life - they seem to think that can just continue...

That seems to be their standard strategy for dealing with problems. Just sweep them under the rug. I’m still convinced that Donnie has a history of sex with another male that he’s done his best to suppress (which would explain why he thinks Robbie should do the same thing).  ;–)

A person who is a 1 on the Kinsey Scale would have an easier time suppressing his same-sex attraction than a 3, 4, 5, or 6. Someone on the high end of the scale might not be able to at all. Some of the supposed Gay conversion ‘success stories’ are people who are actually primarily straight.

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2018 at 7:36 PM, droughtquake said:

That seems to be their standard strategy for dealing with problems. Just sweep them under the rug. I’m still convinced that Donnie has a history of sex with another male that he’s done his best to suppress (which would explain why he thinks Robbie should do the same thing).  ;–)

Also, there have been studies which have found a tendency for Gay men to have Gay bio-Uncles on the maternal side of their family. What older male do we know on Robbie’s mother’s side of the family? Why else would Donnie find Robbie’s sexuality quite so threatening, disgusting, and embarrassing? Is he angry that Robbie might be able to express what he’s suppressed for decades? Just what century is ol' Donnie living in?  ;–)

At least Dodger will have us all clapping our hands and yelling happily when he finally writes the chapter where Don and Sue get what they deserve. :yes: 

I'm proud to have made comment no 11111 in Promising Author Discussion forum. :2thumbs:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 27.9.2016 at 19:08, Timothy M. said:

Ja, ich kann die Landsache verstehen - aber sind Sie Brite oder Kanadier?

Ich bin mit Robbie einverstanden. Er ist sowohl verwirrt als auch emotional fragil. Obwohl ich sehr frustriert bin - was ich oft in langen :wütend:Ausschreitungen zum Ausdruck bringe, gefällt mir die Geschichte, denn es ist glaubhaft, dass Robbie so handelt, wie er es tut. Ich mag es auch, dass er tatsächlich realisiert, wenn er schlechte Entscheidungen getroffen hat und er es besser machen will. Wie seine jüngste Erkenntnis, Rory schlecht zu behandeln und kein guter Freund zu sein.

Trotz meines Geschwätzes mag ich Robbie, oder zumindest kümmere ich mich um ihn und habe Mitleid mit ihm und möchte, dass er Glück findet. Ich würde mich nicht so fühlen, wenn Dodger die Geschichte nicht so gut gemacht hätte. Er hält Robbie am Rand ausbalanciert; Wann immer ich denke, dass Robbie etwas so Dummes tun wird, gibt es keinen Weg zurück, Dodger löst ihn irgendwie ein, lässt Robbie auf eine Art und Weise sprechen (normalerweise in Richtung zu Nathan), was mich dazu verleitet, dass er ihn verzeiht und hofft, dass er endlich zusammenkommt. 

Ein weiterer Grund, warum ich Robbie den Vorteil des Zweifels geben möchte, ist die Tatsache, dass sein Verhalten nicht immer seine Schuld ist. Er ist umgeben von Menschen, die ihn ziemlich schlecht behandeln oder sich zumindest nicht bemühen, ihn zu verstehen, einschließlich seiner neuen Familie. Ich bin nicht überrascht, dass Robbie ihnen überhaupt nicht vertraut, obwohl ich wünschte, er würde Daniel zur Ausnahme machen. Ich mag Nicola wirklich nicht - aber ich habe so viel Spaß damit, über sie zu schimpfen. Ich bin ziemlich froh, dass sie eine Schlampe ist.: lol:

that's what makes the storry so good.the characters are worked out so good and realistic and we readers are also different so that we like one another hate the other.from chapter to chapter 
you understand the characters more and more and the say sympathy or distraction changes and the first hated one can even become your favourite.

• Love 1
On 9/29/2016 at 3:50 AM, Dodger said:

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to voice their opinions here. The story seems to have a core group of followers and a few fellow Canadians. I have always been a little wary about using too much English slang in the story, for fear of losing potential readers from North America, other parts of Europe etc. Robbie, although Canadian by birth, is essentially still very English and speaks with a London (Cockney) accent. I’ve tried to keep the Englishness in him, because that’s an important part of his character, but I’m not sure how well that shows through. Even after living in London for many years, when I go back I still struggle sometimes to understand some of the lingo, so I’ve toned this down quite a bit. In real life, he would be repeating every other sentence he spoke, in order to be understood in Canada, where ironically, they speak English ‘much more propa’ than where Robbie comes from, eh.

Robbie’s family are a mixed bag, but not bad people. Even Nicola isn’t a total witch, although Robbie can’t see that yet. It may sound odd, but Robbie and Nicola are similar in a lot of ways, which is why they clash head on and neither is prepared to budge. Fortunately for Robbie, the person that he has to spend the most amount of time with, Daniel, is about as laid back as they come. Although it remains to be seen how well he handles the news that his adopted brother and roommate is in a same sex relationship with his best friend.

Maybe I haven’t spent enough time on the family, but the story is essentially about Robbie and how he views everything and everyone around him. As a lot of you rightly point out, he is a very confused and emotionally unstable teenager, who thinks that he’s a lot smarter than he is. As a consequence, he makes a lot of mistakes and can be inconsiderate and careless at times, which gets him into trouble.

Underneath the mayhem, is a young boy, who has had to grow up much quicker than he should have, with very little parental guidance along the way. His difficult past has enabled him to get away with a little more than he should have as a fifteen-year-old and he has been quick to use this to his advantage and play the sympathy card whenever he can. This is quite normal under these circumstances and not only doesn’t he see anything wrong in it, but regards it almost as compensation for the hurt he has suffered in recent years

Although there is a lot of me in Robbie and some of the story is based on real life experiences—I was also born in Canada and spent most of my childhood in England before moving back to live with my uncle and aunt aged 15—it is mostly a work of fiction and not an autobiography.

I thank you all for your interest and support

Happy reading!

"I have always been a little wary about using too much English slang in the story, for fear of losing potential readers from North America, other parts of Europe etc."i am glad that you did without glngs because i read with translator lese.so as it is written i can understand it well.

• Love 1

Hey ‘Tyrone’!

Robbie needs to revisit his young friend soon so the next reference to him is not that his health has taken a turn for the worst and Robbie is preparing to go to a funeral! And he should take Amy with him. She’d probably cheer him up with her wonderful personality (she never gets enough ‘screen time’ either).
;–)

1 hour ago, hobo said:

that's what makes the story so good.the characters are worked out so good and realistic and we readers are also different so that we like one another hate the other.from chapter to chapter 
you understand the characters more and more and the say sympathy or distraction changes and the first hated one can even become your favourite.

:blink: How the F*** did my comment suddenly turn into German ?

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

:blink: Hvordan F*** gjorde min kommentar pludselig forvandles til tysk ?

@hobo speaks German and runs all the pages through an automatic translator. I’m not sure why Dodger’s quote was in English this time since all the other quotes have been in German. I’m amazed that he can make sense out of machine translated stories! Not all of us are multilingual like you, @Timothy M.!
;–)

Edited by Former Member
4 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

@hobo speaks German and runs all the pages through an automatic translator. I’m not sure why Dodger’s quote was in English this time since all the other quotes have been in German. I’m amazed that he can make sense out of machine translated stories! Not all of us are multilingual like you, @Timothy M.!
;–)

oh forgiveness that happens when I read via google the translation automatically into German

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, hobo said:

oh forgiveness that happens when I read via google the translation automatically into German

No problem - by the way, it's possible to remove text from the comment you're quoting, so people don't have to scroll over a lengthy text they've already seen or can't understand anyway. I do it all the time with posts which are long or have pictures, and I recommend you do the same, especially if the quote is in German.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...