"Predators devour their prey.

When the predator becomes prey himself,

why should he expect mercy?

What follows is the story of what happened

when the tables got turned."

For discussion of themes and topics. You can find the story here.

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

It's a very intriguing start, Parker. When you answered my review you seemed to suggest that I saw the drink-switching coming. I did not! That was a total surprise to me.

What I can't know right now, because of your skill, is whether Ted made the switcharoo with forethought, or on impulse due to a bad vibe, or what.

In any event, it's a wonderful thing not to know right now. I'm looking forward to seeing what develops.

Thanks, my friend!  

• Like 3

What I can't know right now, because of your skill, is whether Ted made the switcharoo with forethought, or on impulse due to a bad vibe, or what.

In any event, it's a wonderful thing not to know right now.

I agree, AC. The same thought ended up winding through my mind.

Another possibility could be that it was just a safety measure on Ted's part.

But I can't help putting my money on intentional.

Again, like you, I'm glad we didn't learn the motive in chapter 1.

• Like 2

And did anyone notice Ted is a Leafs fan?

Second time round, yes - but the significance is completely lost on me; doubtless because I'm on the wrong side of the pond ... ;)

• Like 2

The Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team has a rather virulent fan base that loves them in the extreme despite them being perennially bad, and loves bitching about how bad they are but 'next year will be better'. Next year seems to never come.

• Like 4

The Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team has a rather virulent fan base that loves them in the extreme despite them being perennially bad, and loves bitching about how bad they are but 'next year will be better'. Next year seems to never come.

I guess that'd be somewhat similar to being a Chicago Cubs fan. They might break the curse eventually. Of course the Cubs have had some good years.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Similar to being a Sabres fan...only farther north...

I was going to say that it sounds just like Bills fans, although it does apply to the Sabres, too... lol  

• Like 1

How many teams are out there like these? The Padres perhaps come to mind, or perhaps the Clippers or the Browns...

Back in the day the Arizona Cardinals were kind of like that, sans the fans. People in Phoenix hated them. Since then they've gone to the Super Bowl so I suppose they've overcome their bad reputation.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Several reviewers have rightly pointed out that the Predator in this story is not at all a nice person. He is hard to sympathize with. The question that drove this forward in my mind was: is this character redeemable? It's a question that has to color all fiction - what characters can be transformed, and which ones must be necessarily reduced to stark contrasts and single dimensions?

• Like 1

Of course, a principal character doesn't have to be redeemable to make a story. I've read several novels by Zola where the 'hero' continues on his way and ends up mad/dead/destitute. It just doesn't make for an easy read or one to lighten your spirits but it can still be one that grips the reader.

Having said all that, I'm glad that seems to be some light in the darkness for your anti-hero - just not sure where it's coming from. Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Well we're certainly nowhere near a redemption point yet for the predator.  I think there needs to be an inherent lack of empathy for others in order to conduct a 'business' such as he did.  Whether it's sociopathy or narcissism or a combination thereof, my guess would be that our predator has some sort of personality disorder.  If empathy never developed, it most likely never will.  Is redemption possible for such a person?  I suppose anything is possible...it will be interesting to see how you bring that about, if indeed you do. ;)  

• Like 3