How many teams are out there like these? The Padres perhaps come to mind, or perhaps the Clippers or the Browns...

I was forced to attend Padres games back in the '70s when a good year was when they didn't come in last. I hate sports and having beer spilt on me only made the experience worse. They used to play in the enormous former-San Diego Stadium (renamed Jack Murphy Stadium after a beloved sportswriter, and currently Qualcomm Stadium) that was always half-empty. (The Clippers started out in San Diego during that era before they left for greener grounds. The Warriors gained their 'Golden State' moniker when they played games in San Diego in addition to the Bay Area after the Clippers left.)

Rabid fans define the Raiders! Fans that welcomed back the traitors after they left town to play in LA and then came back to Oakland with their tails tucked between their legs. Fans that still want the Raiders to stay even while their idiot owner (son of the owner who guided them to championships in the '70s) is signing deals with the devils in sin city.

Bay Area fans have had glory years, but have also suffered through long stretches of losing seasons. The SF Giants, SF Niners, GS Warriors, Oakland A's, and Oakland Raiders have all had their ups and downs, wildly swinging from championships to the cellar. San José's teams (Sharks and Earthquakes) are newer and don't have the long histories that the other teams have.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hard time figuring out if I hate the predator, or if I feel sorry for him.  Love how this story creates so many conflicting emotions!

Yes, I don't like quite a lot of the things it's made me think or feel. That's all part of Parker's expertise as author - making you feel so ambivalent ... 

• Like 2

As I said in my review, I'm beginning to wonder if the predators heart is starting to thaw, and he can more clearly see how he has screwed up his life by his own actions through the years.  I guess that's the first step to redemption, but unless he sees his error, he can't work towards redemption.  And, he's hurt so many, maybe redemption isn't even possible.  I'm glued to this story!!!

• Like 2

As I said in my review, I'm beginning to wonder if the predators heart is starting to thaw, and he can more clearly see how he has screwed up his life by his own actions through the years.  I guess that's the first step to redemption, but unless he sees his error, he can't work towards redemption.  And, he's hurt so many, maybe redemption isn't even possible.  I'm glued to this story!!!

Glad you're going to stick with it! But seriously, there is clearly a cardiac warm front in the offing....

• 2 months later...

It has been a very long stretch between entries here. But I believe there is sufficient evidence to say the Predator's heart has undergone a subtle change. Or maybe not so subtle.  Still, would you trust him with your teenage boy?

I think the assumption is that Wally won't be with the teen one-on-one, he'll be 'chaperoned' by the other teens. And, as shown in the scene where Michael asks him about kissing, he's uncomfortable about doing or discussing sexual topics (or anything that might jeopardize his current situation there).

:unsure: He's being trusted to look after several youths, so I suppose there's safety in numbers. But, if they've all seen the wretched video, might they be tempted to take things in a direction Wally doesn't want? Wally won't want to be out on his ear, though - not with his former supplier in the offing.

Wally sure seems to be in a difficult spot. Kenny really unnerved him. 

As a non-South Park fan, even I know the notoriously repeated, “They killed Kenny!” line. I’m sure any South Park fans would be disappointed if that line weren’t included in the hoped-for eventual demise of the threat.

I love how Wally is growing. It is really hard for an author to have a character grow and change and still remain a unified character.  Static characters are in the end predictable but this really makes for great writing.  The tape will continue to haunt 'Wally but it becomes an impetus for change keeping Wally in the mind space of his former victims. It is a brilliant plot device. 

• Like 2

I don't think that Wally has ever taken the time to actually get to know someone on any level other than physical, Once he was finished with getting what he wanted from their physical self, he threw them away and didn't care who got hurt along the way. He has a potential new family that accepts him flaws and all. I would hate to see what Wally and Javier would do to that little boy if he even thought of hurting Micheal. 

Edited by JayT

Wally is out of his element, yet this is exactly what he needs. He knows it, too. I don't think he would hurt Michael, because he actually seems to care what Michael thinks. And I don't think he'd let anyone else hurt Michael, either. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...