Too Many Projects?

I've been writing since I was a little kid and have always had more than one project going on at a time. When I was 10 I tried to write a WWII epic novel while writing a play about a boy who killed himself after his best friend wouldn't accept him for who he was. Neither of those have seen the light of day since (though the play is being changed into a short story in a different direction). As I got older I hoped I would grow out of that habit but I think it's gotten even worse. Right now I have 10 current projects and probably hundreds of forgotten pieces saved on a hard drive or jump drive somewhere. Basically my question is, does anyone else suffer from this? And if you do, what do you do to help focus and finish a piece?  Or do you work all of them through to completion?

Just curious what others think on this!

• Like 5

Don't feel alone. I totally understand what you're going through. I have stories that I've been working on for two years, and none are near completion. I am embarrassed by the size and quantity of junk files that I've collected, and refuse to dispose of. Advice anyone? :*)

1 hour ago, R J Drew said:

Don't feel alone. I totally understand what you're going through. I have stories that I've been working on for two years, and none are near completion. I am embarrassed by the size and quantity of junk files that I've collected, and refuse to dispose of. Advice anyone? :*)

I'm glad I'm not alone. I spent an hour or two the other day going through all these files with a couple sentences or pages of a story. Things I had thought were great ideas and now I think I'm crazy for even starting them. Or thinking them.

Deep down inside I feel like they could become something. It's almost like a sickness.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, robertlee said:

I'm glad I'm not alone. I spent an hour or two the other day going through all these files with a couple sentences or pages of a story. Things I had thought were great ideas and now I think I'm crazy for even starting them. Or thinking them.

Deep down inside I feel like they could become something. It's almost like a sickness.

Keep it all!  I've completed stories years after writing the first chapter.  And your earliest work you should look back at fondly.  Your love of writing was always there but your knowledge, experience and maturity changed! 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Keep it all!  I've completed stories years after writing the first chapter.  And your earliest work you should look back at fondly.  Your love of writing was always there but your knowledge, experience and maturity changed! 

That's true I suppose. Some of the pile of discards is hidden gems. I even found stories from when I was a kid that I turned into something new and exciting.

• Like 3

I wish I could do that!  I can't keep the plots and characters straight if I try to work on more than one project at a time... I find I have to take lots of notes and keep reference materials I can refer back to.  That might be because I am making my story overly complex.  This is my first effort, so I'm lots of mistakes.  I've been slugging away at this for over a year, now.  It is over 400 printed pages in a 6x9 format. 

• Like 4

I did a quick count through my English Scrivener projects, meaning stories I actually started writing. I'm at 13 (+1 that's actually finished but not edited) right now, hah :) You're not alone!

Fortunately, it's rather easy for me to keep all the different projects straight in my head, so I'm not bothered by the amount. I write when I feel like it and my style changes depending on my mood. I wouldn't write as much if I only worked on one or two projects, because I wouldn't "feel right" often enough. I did learn that it's important to focus on, say, two main projects that you actually plan to have finished at a certain point (aka. "soon") and push the others to the back, only to be touched when nothing's working as it's supposed to. I picked two that came easily to me and both have reached the finish line right at the beginning of this year. It's a relief to finish something, but now I feel the pressure of the other thirteen stories weighing on my mind every day. I've already picked two new stories I want to focus on, but I'll probably start another three until those are done :*)

• Like 4

I feel so much better now that I'm not alone!

My Mom is a published romance author and she thought I was crazy when she saw my list of current projects. She follows the logic of having 1 she's writing and 1 she's editing, if even that. She likes to focus until a project is completed or shelved for eternity. I need to have options because sometimes something doesn't work and I need a break from it. If I don't keep writing I won't pick things back up for a long while.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Ha! This is awesome. We've got matching writing files! I've got maybe 100 some word documents with incoherent paragraphs... brainstorming!

My problem is that I feel my ideas too similar. I always feel like I'm running out of topics and all these files are just off-shoots from one dumb idea. 

I have 2 projects now, but omg I want to start another! I usually do one thing at a time though, so this is unusual for me. It's EXTREMELY difficult for me to write on one and then switch to the other. I'm switching up names and stuff, hell, one story is kinda violent and the other is fluffy, so out of nowhere the fluffy sex turns into BDSM and I barely even notice.... My betas probably think I have multi-personalities. 

I'm like your mom @robertlee. I like to work on one thing until it's finished. If something doesn't work, I just poke and prod at it until something I like comes out. Or I just take a break and think... I want an idea catcher, because I'm so afraid something valuable will slip right out of my grasp... AHHHHAHAHAHHAHA! Mad writer here! lol

• Like 3

I have one Published In-Progress Project on this site, another I started (but after review, it's being tweaked) that's for this site eventually, plus another three in ongoing development. My hardest time right now is keeping on track on one story, and finding the time to sit and write.