I've read some good Fan Fiction, and some really, REALLY, bad Fan Fiction in recent days. (Nothing from this site, though.) I've written some as well for my friends, and people I played some MMOs with. I've personally wondered what the Authors of the worlds we read, how they felt about that? How do they feel about someone creating characters to play a part in their worlds that they've created? I've seen it mainly for TV shows, and Movies, but a few worlds created in novels as well. So, how would you feel about someone creating a piece of work, based around the world you've dreamed up?

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Most authors are on record about this sort of thing.  The ones that hate it specifically prohibit FanFiction.net from having their stuff, which FanFic complies with.

Other authors, like Anne McCaffrey (Dragonriders of Pern) has specific rules:

http://pernhome.com/aim/anne-mccaffrey/fans/fan-fiction-rules/

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, the most popular category on FanFiction with over 700,000 stories... also supports it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3753001.stm

Myr

• Like 4

Interestingly, an author I am a fan of posted a blog about how she wishes she could support Fanfiction, but cannot do anything but pretend it doesn't exist, as her lawyers have advised her that other authors have been sued by fanfiction writers when they claim their plotlines were stolen and used in the canon work. It is a sad state of affairs. 

• Like 3
On 4/21/2017 at 0:11 AM, Wicked Witch said:

Interestingly, an author I am a fan of posted a blog about how she wishes she could support Fanfiction, but cannot do anything but pretend it doesn't exist, as her lawyers have advised her that other authors have been sued by fanfiction writers when they claim their plotlines were stolen and used in the canon work. It is a sad state of affairs. 

That is INCREDIBLE. lol. I've never heard of fanfiction authors doing anything like that. Wow

• Like 1
On 4/19/2017 at 0:13 AM, BHopper2 said:

I've read some good Fan Fiction, and some really, REALLY, bad Fan Fiction in recent days. (Nothing from this site, though.) I've written some as well for my friends, and people I played some MMOs with. I've personally wondered what the Authors of the worlds we read, how they felt about that? How do they feel about someone creating characters to play a part in their worlds that they've created? I've seen it mainly for TV shows, and Movies, but a few worlds created in novels as well. So, how would you feel about someone creating a piece of work, based around the world you've dreamed up?

At this point in my life, I'm really on the fence about fanfiction. I remember a friend of mine brought an insanely hot Inuyasha fanfic to middle school and we poured over the sex scenes for days (until our teacher confiscated it, how embarrassing!) 

I moved on to Harry Potter fanfics after that and was blown away by the detail the authors added to my already favorite J.K Rowling characters. I still read cannon, but the lines were forever blurred for me. It seemed like Rowling wasn't using her characters to their fullest potentials. I mean, Harry ending up with Ginny. SHOOT ME NOW! Snape dying alone, longing for Lily Evans? Sad. He should have ended up with Harry! Lol, idk. 

But anyways, I just went back to check on my all time favorite Harry Potter fanfic author and they WERE WHINING ABOUT HARRY POTTER STILL. What a strange position it must be, being a fanfiction author... I hope to god those amazing creators did some original work because it doesn't seem fair to me that I remember and love them for work they on someone else's story. I'm so sick of Harry Potter, but it inspired me to begin writing and posting... But god god, I'll never get stuck being some big shot author's underling. I'd rather stand on my own two feet... 

• Like 3

I don't write fanfic because:

• that universe does not belong to me
  • my ego is too large to share

Star Trek was always the universe I played in and the way canon Romulans behaved always looked wrong. I can understand that inscrutable super-intelligent aliens can act strange and bizarre but dumb doesn't work for me.

TOS Romulans are different from NextGen Romulans- somewhere in between they make a huge technological leap from pre-warp Warbirds to singularity powered D class battlecruisers.

Inconsistencies like that are traps for fanfic authors and, Disney can buy the whole franchise and throw out what they don't like- like they did to the the Star Wars franchise.

I think its best to write in your own universe but, you have to build it and that's a lot of work.

At least you own it and that stupid mouse can go pound sand.

sith-lord-mickey.jpg 

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, jamessavik said:

I don't write fanfic because:

• that universe does not belong to me
  • my ego is too large to share

Star Trek was always the universe I played in and the way canon Romulans behaved always looked wrong. I can understand that inscrutable super-intelligent aliens can act strange and bizarre but dumb doesn't work for me.

TOS Romulans are different from NextGen Romulans- somewhere in between they make a huge technological leap from pre-warp Warbirds to singularity powered D class battlecruisers.

Inconsistencies like that are traps for fanfic authors and, Disney can buy the whole franchise and throw out what they don't like- like they did to the the Star Wars franchise.

I think its best to write in your own universe but, you have to build it and that's a lot of work.

At least you own it and that stupid mouse can go pound sand.

sith-lord-mickey.jpg 

Ahhhaaa! Great pic. 

Yea, I marvel at and am jealous of the fantasy worlds other authors create. I 100 percent agree with you, of course it would be better to make your own universe, but I've never attempted to do that. Using Harry Potter's world or in your example, the Star Trek universe, is just a matter of damage control. I know I'll screw up inventing the detailed intricacies of a living breathing world, so I use one that's established. I hate cheating, so I never leave my comfort zone. Every story I write takes place in the real world... Im beginning to get a little sick of my own limitations... 

Edited by mastershakeme
  • Like 3

I like fanfic if it's done with skill and respect for the original world. I like to see how well the authors hit the tone of the canon universe. To me fanfic is born of admiration and a thirst for more. But I can certainly respect why authors might want to say no, and you have some very good points, @Cia

I enjoy fanfic which take a side character and develop it, but I also like small scenes which depict intimate encounters between favorite characters. 

Both my upcoming anthology contribution happen to contain fanfic elements, one in-site and one IRL world.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Fifteen years or so ago, I almost wrote nothing but fanfic.  And yes, there was a lot of it about Nysnc.  Though I must admit I put Nysnc into my world and never really played in the real world at all.  I have read all the Harry Potter books and frankly, please don't kill me, I prefer almost all the fanfic to the original.  I do not enjoy her style of writing and felt she created a world that was amazing but never fully explored it.  

As for the question, if someone wanted to play in my world, I'd be open to the idea if it was another story separate from my original that is just set in my world.  I once tried to create a town that had unusual paranormal activities and then offered the setting and characters to other authors who could use them and tell stories set in this one town.  It never got off the ground but its always been a goal of mine.  

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Jason Rimbaud said:

Fifteen years or so ago, I almost wrote nothing but fanfic.  And yes, there was a lot of it about Nysnc.  Though I must admit I put Nysnc into my world and never really played in the real world at all.  I have read all the Harry Potter books and frankly, please don't kill me, I prefer almost all the fanfic to the original.  I do not enjoy her style of writing and felt she created a world that was amazing but never fully explored it.  

As for the question, if someone wanted to play in my world, I'd be open to the idea if it was another story separate from my original that is just set in my world.  I once tried to create a town that had unusual paranormal activities and then offered the setting and characters to other authors who could use them and tell stories set in this one town.  It never got off the ground but its always been a goal of mine.  

I agree with you on Harry Potter. She made a great world, and the movies were an awesome telling of them, but I disliked the main story she did. There was a number of other characters that I felt would have been better, like Cedric (RIP), or the Twins. It's why I like Fantastic Beats so much.

I've seen shared world stories before, and participated as well, through an Online RPG that was a hosted server for Neverwinter Nights. It was an interesting experience to write, or RP a character in a world designed by someone else, but you were allowed to write a story around one person. Within reason, and with restrictions of course.

• Like 2

I recently found that my favorite MM book is actually fanfic of one tv show. The author just changed the MCs names, add some more details and then published. No wonder I just felt it lacked something. When you write fanfic the readers already know the story's background but if you change it into original work, you'd better explain everything. 

So now I'm kind of lost.. the mc I like is actually another person.

• Like 2
On 5/25/2017 at 1:43 PM, hoaluu said:

When you write fanfic the readers already know the story's background but if you change it into original work, you'd better explain everything. 

Yes, that can be something´of a dilemma. When I wrote my Valdemar fanfic piece for the Anthology, I knew there would be few readers who were familiar with the universe, so I had to add explanations in the chapter notes as well as spell some things out in the text. But on the other hand, I didn't want to go on and on about background material. I was lucky in having a beta/editor team who didn't know the Valdemar universe, so they could point of what parts didn't make sense without more information. The best fanfic give ardent fans a warm feeling of familiarity even as they enjoy the new material, while intriguing and entertaining newbies so much they want to know more about the universe. Two of the best compliments I got for my story were readers saying they wanted to check out the Valdemar books after reading my piece. :2thumbs:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
On 5/26/2017 at 3:11 PM, Timothy M. said:

Yes, that can be something´of a dilemma. When I wrote my Valdemar fanfic piece for the Anthology, I knew there would be few readers who were familiar with the universe, so I had to add explanations in the chapter notes as well as spell some things out in the text. But on the other hand, I didn't want to go on and on about background material. I was lucky in having a beta/editor team who didn't know the Valdemar universe, so they could point of what parts didn't make sense without more information. The best fanfic give ardent fans a warm feeling of familiarity even as they enjoy the new material, while intriguing and entertaining newbie so much they want to know more about the universe. Two of the best compliments I got for my story were readers saying they wanted to check out the Valdemar books after reading my piece. :2thumbs:

That's great, I think I should go check your story :)  

• Like 2

I find myself very critical of Fan Fiction. Although, I don't have much against it - as in, people partaking in the writing of fan fiction. Things that turn be off the story, is the writing. If the style, grammar, etc isn't clean, or is rather bad I'll not want to read it. That is more or less a general reading thing for me though. Fan Fictions that tells the same story, but in a different bunch of words, same timeline, same main character, same... plot points.. just a re-stylized, re-telling.. then I'll not want to read it either, I'd rather read the original.. watch the original movies, play the original video game.. etc.. lol.

Fan Fictions should be able to stand alone, the plot, the scenes, the dialogue - it should all be set up to stand alone. It should feel like immersing yourself into a story, a character, etc that you know... and want to know more about. A Fan Fiction shouldn't be a.. "get out of step one.." free card as far as story planning and story development goes. Explain the world, explain some characterizations of the characters, but then introduce the plot you wish to dive into. :)

I started reading M/M stories.. that were primarily fan fiction, only because the genre of M/M erotica/romance/what ever... was a very new concept to me so the fan fictions already depicting characters in a setting and place that I knew.. helped me pick up the genre better. Fan Fiction can also be a great spring board to writing in general. 

I recently read a Harry Potter M/M Prequel that was fun to read. :) The pairing was eventually Remus and Sirius. :D 

Edited by Krista
  • Like 2