Good Gay Theme Movies

You'd be surprised at how homophobic the figure skating world is... It's not like ballet, which is theatre, where sexuality isn't a big deal backstage. Perhaps it's because it's so competitive, I don't know.

So, this is not a movie, and people probably aren't all that into anime here, but speaking of figure skating, I highly recommend Yuri!!! on Ice. It really is a beautiful story, 12 half hour episodes, so not terribly long either. It's not so called yaoi, it was a prime time cartoon series on Japanese television, but it's one of the sweetest love stories I've ever seen. The skating animations are amazing, too. It's funny and heartwarming and hella gay, lol!

The whole thing is available to watch on Crunchyroll for free. All you have to do is make an account.

Spoiler

original.gif

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Kill or Be Killed (2004) 13 minutes long. After two young companions quickly go from friends to experimentation, one betrays the other by public humiliation, and is met with worse retaliation. After tempers have cooled, they find themselves having to make a choice.

Camp Out (2006) 78 minutes. A documentary about 10 LGBTQ+ kids attending the first-ever Christian camp with a pro-acceptance attitude.

Hineini: Coming Out in a Jewish High School (2005) An hour-long documentary about a teen boy's push to form a GSA at his all-Jewish school.

Marilyn (2018) A 79-minute drama about an Argentinean boy named Marcos, mockingly nicknamed Marilyn. He struggles to avoid the lustful desires of others, as well as discrimination.

My Life on Ice (2002) 102 minutes. A French film about a 16-year-old boy who dreams of becoming a champion ice skater....when he's not thinking about his handsome geography teacher.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

My Life on Ice (2002)

Surprisingly, the two directors are the very same guys who directed the very explicit Paris 05:59: Theó & Hugo (aka Theo and Hugo)! At the Frameline showing of this movie (aka Ma vraie vie à Rouen), I got them both to autograph my Drôle de Félix (aka The Adventures of Felix) DVD, they were very excited that anyone would want their autographs. One of the joys of attending the oldest and largest LGBTQ film festival in the world.  ;–)

Putting this here too, so maybe we can lay take 2 to rest...

From writer/director Desiree Akhavan and based on the celebrated novel by Emily M. Danforth, The Miseducation of Cameron Post follows Cameron (Chloë Grace Moretz) as she is sent to a gay conversion therapy center after getting caught with another girl in the back seat of a car on prom night. Run by the strict and severe Dr. Lydia Marsh (Jennifer Ehle) and her brother, Reverend Rick (John Gallagher Jr.)—himself an example of how those in the program can be “cured”—the center is built upon repenting for “same sex attraction.” In the face of intolerance and denial, Cameron meets a group of fellow sinners including the amputee stoner Jane (Sasha Lane), and her friend, the Lakota Two-Spirit, Adam (Forrest Goodluck). Together, this group of teenagers form an unlikely family as they fight to survive.

• Love 2

@Thorn Wilde I love Chloe Grace Moretz.  She's a superb actress!   :D

And Then Came Summer (2000) 82 minutes long. Two long-time teenage friends start to fall in love when their families join together for an extended vacation. Then their relatives learn the truth about the boys' relationship.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Love 2
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

Okay, I'm not sure whether this counts as a very long advertisement or a short film? But it's cute all the same, so here:

Cool short.  Written by Dustin Lance Black....

Edited by Ashi
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

Okay, I'm not sure whether this counts as a very long advertisement or a short film? But it's cute all the same, so here:

Written and Directed by Dustin Lance Black! This puts it among a handful of ads directed by an Academy Award Winning Director. (But how many others can claim to also be the husband of an Olympic Diver?)

• 1 month later...

Watched a movie on Freeform called The Thing About Harry. It's about a young gay man forced to drive cross-country with his former high school bully, owing to the fact that they each have been invited to a classmate's engagement party. The snag? His ex-bully is gay, too. What could possibly go wrong?

All of the actors are 10 years too old for the roles portrayed in this film. The protagonist and his "love interest" attend the same college, but appear to be 30-something. It was very awkward to watch a grown homosexual man spoon with his heterosexual gal pal in the opening scene as if they were still teenagers. The scripting felt weak and the characters were flat. It had all the mediocrity of a Hallmark movie, with none of the charm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

Watched a movie on Freeform called The Thing About Harry. It's about a young gay man forced to drive cross-country with his former high school bully, owing to the fact that they each have been invited to a classmate's engagement party. The snag? His ex-bully is gay, too. What could possibly go wrong?

Fell in love?  😮

2 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

All of the actors are 10 years too old for the roles portrayed in this film. The protagonist and his "love interest" attend the same college, but appear to be 30-something. It was very awkward to watch a grown homosexual man spoon with his heterosexual gal pal in the opening scene as if they were still teenagers. The scripting felt weak and the characters were flat. It had all the mediocrity of a Hallmark movie, with none of the charm.

Hey, it would work if they don't look old.  Ashi is definitely too old to play a teenager though....

Anyways, I think recently I saw a movie about gay Christians and it was VERY awkward!  I don't remember the name of the movie but it's like a Christian backyard pool party and the MC noticed more and more people are gay....  While their parents are hypocritically being drunk.  It's just so WEIRD!  It was MC's birthday party of course he ended up with a guy in his bed....  Did I say it's weird?  Yes, it's WEEEEEIIIIIRRRRD!

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Ashi said:

Hey, it would work if they don't look old.

They definitely looked too old.  😛  And I'm aware that 30 isn't too far off for me, so maybe I sound hypocritical, but it just turns me off when actors have such a drastic age difference from the characters they play.  :thumbdown: 

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
56 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

They definitely looked too old.  😛  And I'm aware that 30 isn't too far off for me, so maybe I sound hypocritical, but it just turns me off when actors have such a drastic age difference from the characters they play.  :thumbdown: 

I passed the 40 mark....  I wish I could hang onto youth, but it's just reality.  In my 20's and early 30's I was doing very well, but 40....  Well, you're married with a loving husband.  Age is just a number for you, for me is a pressure.

Anyways, that's one of the hung up for me about Love Simon, actually, or at least initially.  He looked a bit old for a high schooler, but his performance won me over, though the thought "if they cast another person for the role of Nick..." type of thinking often surfaces when I watch that movie.  That said, age appropriateness definitely would affect the audience's reception (and marketing).  The Fault in Our Stars also cast someone older for title roles and it's the same situation as Love Simon, as I think older actors may not look the part, but you can't deny they're more experienced and brought some emotional depth to the character.  Though age appropriate actors might have the advantage of naivete that's appropriate to the age of the character they're playing.  Anyways, I am old, and talk like an old guy....

• 1 year later...

This movie, which recently hit theaters, is based on a true story. Reid Miller plays Jadin Bell, a young man who publicly comes out, and subsequently commits suicide after being relentlessly bullied at school. His family (Maxwell Jenkins, Connie Britton) is devastated, but Jadin's father (Mark Wahlberg), sets out on a journey across the country to speak out against bullying and raise awareness for LGBT+ youth.

Despite the obvious tragedy involved, I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. It's "gritty" and it's definitely gonna hurt, but it's the kind of movie we need, you know?

• Like 1

Well, if you want an interesting exploration of sexuality and themes about same sex love/relationships:

The Boys in the Band from 2020 may hit the spot, it's on Netflix

For those who have seen it, show of hands: Who thinks Alan was deeply in the closet?