2017 Fall Anthology: The Fall Out & Secret Spaces ~ Discussion

• 1 month later...

Good for you Comicfan!!!  I'm not sure what I should do a story about.  I'm leaning toward Secret Spaces and possibly something possibly memoir-esque.  This might be the perfect theme for the gay dances in Rochester circa 1985... :)  Hat tip to AC Benus.  

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

I'm in the process of writing an Anthology Story. It's bigger in scope than what I had planned. :/ But, I'm liking it, and the people that have read snippets have liked it.

It's an Urban Fantasy story, currently sitting at 7.5K words.

• Like 4

Mine's coming to an end. My beta reader describes it as a modern day tragedy, so, not a happy read particularly. I've made sure it's shorter than last time. At 16k words, my first effort put off a number of people just because of its length. Lesson learnt. Still, this one has stretched my writing in all sorts of ways, which can only be good. :) 

• Like 4

I was looking at 15K as max, but it may get bigger than that unless I cut stuff out.

I've been reading some of the old Anthology stories, and I do see where they are around an average of 5K words in length (mainly from looking at the total words, haven't actually done an accounting). Is that around a normal size, for a good short story?

• Like 2

I'm aiming at 10k. I don't think there's a particular length which makes for a good story. One thing to bear in mind - when the anthology comes out, plenty of people binge read the entries. If you're offering a novella, it may put off readers. :)

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, northie said:

I'm aiming at 10k. I don't think there's a particular length which makes for a good story. One thing to bear in mind - when the anthology comes out, plenty of people binge read the entries. If you're offering a novella, it may put off readers. :)

Thanks for the advice. Did not know about the binge readers.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 8/21/2017 at 12:12 PM, northie said:

I agree longer stories can be a challenge for readers who try to read them all, but sometimes the damn story will not behave. :) . I wrote three entries, totaling 30,000 words, for the Special Anthology... it was a lot to ask of readers, but they have gotten good viewership over time. My entry this time is 6150 words. 

• Like 3