2 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Door number three. I think. Needs a little “me time” to collect himself is my guess. I can see door number two and one as well. 

That gets my vote too.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

you do what you want to do, Reader ..

I was trying to read it all the way through without stopping - a challenge if you will - but as you can see from my posts, my willpower is next to nonexistent... :*)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I was trying to read it all the way through without stopping - a challenge if you will - but as you can see from my posts, my willpower is next to nonexistent... :*)

i like your thoughts along the way ... :D

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

When I was Beta Reading this chapter, I had to look up what "gotchies" were. I got it by context, but wanted to make sure. LOL. I love how tim drops that sort of stuff in. Makes it feel really authentic.

• Love 2
  • Site Moderator
2 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

When I was Beta Reading this chapter, I had to look up what "gotchies" were. I got it by context, but wanted to make sure. LOL. I love how tim drops that sort of stuff in. Makes it feel really authentic.

A, you inspired me to look it up. Have to say, I have never heard of that term for said garment. Will my “I am Canadian” card be revoked, do you think? :unsure: 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
8 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

A, you inspired me to look it up. Have to say, I have never heard of that term for said garment. Will my “I am Canadian” card be revoked, do you think? :unsure: 

Hand it over so I can cut it up. Almost as bad as bags of milk. LOL

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

I remember when my younger niece was adopted from Korea. Everyone was so excited to meet her. But it was traumatic for her, as a one-year-old, to have been torn from everything and everyone she knew. I’m sure even the smells were all different. And suddenly she met yet another bunch of strangers. She wouldn’t let us hold her and she’s the only one of my four nieces and nephews I never carried as an infant. But as a 3½-year old, she wanted to be picked up after she saw me give a piggyback ride to her brother. I tried to put her on my shoulders, but it was too high and she wanted down. We were on a hillside at a ceremony interring my mother’s ashes which made my shoulders seem even higher to her. My Aunts wanted me to keep her on my shoulders so they could take pictures, but I refused and put her down because I remember times as a child when I was placed in scary poses just so they could take pictures.  ;–)

It’s funny what odd things I get reminded of when I read your stories, Tim!  ;–)

2 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

A Milk crate - or more to the point, having one (at least one) in their possession - is such a Canadian thing.

Why do you put your bags of milk in crates?  ;–)

The concept of milk crates is enticing enough that even back in the eighties, retailers in the US (including my employer at the time) sold plastic replicas. I used to have more, but I still own six of them. I had made a sort of headboard and nightstand for my bed out of a large stack of them. I bolted them together to add some stability, but they weren’t really strong enough to stack five-high with the openings on the sides.  ;–)

15 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I remember when my younger niece was adopted from Korea. Everyone was so excited to meet her. But it was traumatic for her, as a one-year-old, to have been torn from everything and everyone she knew. I’m sure even the smells were all different. And suddenly she met yet another bunch of strangers. She wouldn’t let us hold her and she’s the only one of my four nieces and nephews I never carried as an infant. But as a 3½-year old, she wanted to be picked up after she saw me give a piggyback ride to her brother. I tried to put her on my shoulders, but it was too high and she wanted down. We were on a hillside at a ceremony interring my mother’s ashes which made my shoulders seem even higher to her. My Aunts wanted me to keep her on my shoulders so they could take pictures, but I refused and put her down because I remember times as a child when I was placed in scary poses just so they could take pictures.  ;–)

It’s funny what odd things I get reminded of when I read your stories, Tim!  ;–)

i find that very humbling and i appreciate you sharing that..

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator
19 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Hand it over so I can cut it up. Almost as bad as bags of milk. LOL

Bags of milk beat jugs any day of the week. Too damn heavy when they’re full. My American niece loves the bags as well, so there! :P 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Why do you put your bags of milk in crates?  ;–)

hard to stack four litre plastic bags of milk in a truck. ..image.png.a07a00c16c11295d7258e3b1642e614d.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

hard to stack four litre plastic bags of milk in a truck. ..image.png.a07a00c16c11295d7258e3b1642e614d.png

lol now i have this pic of Mike trying to get them to stay one atop the other and them just sort of oozing down and getting wedged next to something spikey.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

hard to stack four litre plastic bags of milk in a truck. ..

I would think they’d use reusable plastic bins…  ;–)

People here steal (or more accurately never return) the large flimsy plastic open bins from the US Postal Service. I don’t get the appeal except that they’re ‘free.’ They don’t have lids and they’re not that strong.  ;–)

• Site Moderator
5 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

As tim said, it’s to stack and store them for delivery. Three of these bags to a crate with four crates to a dolly they fit on top of each other) is how they get delivered into the store near me. They take them out of the crate and stack them on top of each other whereas the big store near me leaves then in the crate and put them in the glass door fridge. 

The outer bag and the bags holding the milk are recyclable in Toronto, so it makes for less garbage too. 

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
4 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

People here steal (or more accurately never return) the large flimsy plastic open bins from the US Postal Service. I don’t get the appeal except that they’re ‘free.’ They don’t have lids and they’re not that strong.  ;–)

That’s how milk crates were obtained when I knew people who had them but now they make them (came up on a google search) for people to buy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Site Moderator
6 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

These are reusable. The stores give back the empties when a new delivery comes in. Back in the day, though, they weren’t stored in a secure place, so they disappeared quite frequently. I think I even read an article about this, but can’t recall when or where. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

That’s how milk crates were obtained when I knew people who had them but now they make them (came up on a google search) for people to buy. 

There was a store near where I lived as a kid and just gave them away. I took a few, set them on their side stacked, and then bound them with wire for a makeshift shelf.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

The outer bag and the bags holding the milk are recyclable in Toronto, so it makes for less garbage too. 

I think it’s funny how we shifted from the very easily reused and recycled glass bottles to the less recyclable plastic containers. One of the problems with ‘recyclable’ plastic is that there are relatively few places that actually reuse the plastic. There are so many different types. Is it really recyclable if it’s never recycled?

The plastic in 2 Liter soda bottles can be turned into fabric that can be made into clothing, but I wonder how much ends up in a dump somewhere anyway?

I’m not singling out North America…

• Site Moderator

This left me with a big smile because it speaks of a bright future.

Great, thanks.” As I pushed him out of his room, past the nurse’s station and to the elevator, I leaned forward and whispered. “Wanna know a secret?”

Half-grinning, he glanced back and said, “Yeah, what?”

I pushed him onto the elevator and pressed ground. “We’ve been looking forward to it just as much as you.”

Max unleashed the biggest smile I’d seen so far.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Site Moderator

From chapter 7 

I couldn’t help but smile at that. Clyde stopped for a moment to snatch some fine grass from the roadside. “Hey, you. Come on.” I gave him a little kick to remind him I was there, and he moved smartly to catch up to Badger.

and from chapter 9 today

“You think he’d be better on Clyde or Badger?”

“Badger for sure. He’s steadier then Clyde; easier to handle for a beginner, I think. Clyde can be such a shit.”

Before I made a comment about this, I had to double check who rode which horse. My first instinct was that Louis, being Louis, had the more well behaved horse. Of course, it makes more sense for Don not to be riding the one with some “attitude” doesn’t it? His ride has to be surer than his fully able-bodied husband.  

Oh, and as for my comment? I totally agree, Badger or a like-minded horse is definitely the correct choice for Max.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

From chapter 7 

and from chapter 9 today

Before I made a comment about this, I had to double check who rode which horse. My first instinct was that Louis, being Louis, had the more well behaved horse. Of course, it makes more sense for Don not to be riding the one with some “attitude” doesn’t it? His ride has to be surer than his fully able-bodied husband.  

Oh, and as for my comment? I totally agree, Badger or a like-minded horse is definitely the correct choice for Max.

Badger is the steadier of the two, more laid back. Clyde has some attitude, he's more highly strung than his stablemate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, MichaelS36 said:

tim said; not to worry, he will get up to post the chapter .. I think he said chapter 10.  

having the day off, i totally lost track that it was only Friday

i'll set the coffee pot up so it's ready in the morning for this next chapter

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

Another fantastic chapter. I love how tim humanizes the characters. Like Lous' little bout of envy, before he realizes that he has nothing to worry over.

And that Max wants to live with them. A great way to end the chapter too, with their little talk at the end.

• Like 1