First Person vs. Third Person: What is your preferred writing style?

6 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I shot the sheriff.

I sometimes end up with this when I forget to describe stuff and just tell people instead.  Usually this is because either I'm being impatient, or the thing I'm writing about is just boring and shouldn't even be there.

• Like 2

My favorite authors write in third person, so when I started, I naturally gravitated to that. I started out omniscient, but slowly evolved to limited. To be honest, I got the feeling omniscient was looked down on in the literary world. It is an impression that could be wrong. There is such freedom to it, and I enjoyed it immensely, but I'm happy I've left it behind. Limited is tricky at times, but I've found it can accomplish exactly what I need it to. I try to be careful of the number of pronouns and their repetition in a given sentence, and consequently, paragraphs. There are many ways to say the same thing, and the more comfortable I've become, the more one way stands out for me as the best or better way. I don't mind first person, and I have started stories in it, but I find myself switching to third almost immediately. As a fairly new writer... well, sort of, I guess... I've come to the conclusion it's best for me not to switch back and forth. That said, my next story could well be in first. :) 

• Like 2