Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Northern Exposure: General Discussion

Arbour has mentioned several times over the course of the Granger saga that promotion in the navy was to a very large extent due only to seniority....and not rocking the boat so to speak.   So it's not unheard of for the social elite to not have heard of every admiral or captain.  In fact what was remarkable is that some men, through force of character, expert leadership, command ability and political connections were able to jump the system as our own dear Granger did. 

As I said in my comment in the story chapter, I fear that this old curmudgeon with his pettiness will be trouble.

• Like 3

I had no idea there was a new chapter until I saw the recent comments here.  I picked up a couple of spoilers but it was totally worth it. :)

I think Caroline's failure to recognize Dickson is a commentary on his social class and lack of distinguished achievement.  

• Like 2

To add to this, by 1799 there were 106 admirals of the Royal Navy.  Even if they were of an aristocratic background, with a large and varied aristocracy (which had it's own social levels within it), it is unlikely that Caroline would have met all of them.  Especially since, if you were a Northern admiral, you might never spend time in London - as shore leave would require you to travel to the North of England to spend time with family there.  There was a 'northern court' of aristocracy that rarely made it to London or spent any time with the royal family.

I would argue that Caroline and George are now *so* exalted, that there is a lower rung of aristocracy, never mind admirals, that would struggle to get an audience with the Grangers.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2018 at 4:45 AM, Westie said:

To add to this, by 1799 there were 106 admirals of the Royal Navy.  Even if they were of an aristocratic background, with a large and varied aristocracy (which had it's own social levels within it), it is unlikely that Caroline would have met all of them.  Especially since, if you were a Northern admiral, you might never spend time in London - as shore leave would require you to travel to the North of England to spend time with family there.  There was a 'northern court' of aristocracy that rarely made it to London or spent any time with the royal family.

I would argue that Caroline and George are now *so* exalted, that there is a lower rung of aristocracy, never mind admirals, that would struggle to get an audience with the Grangers.

Such excellent points.  I'd also point out that the number of aristocratic admirals was relatively small, especially at this point.  From what I've read, the Royal Navy became a popular venue for the aristocracy during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, so even if there were an influx, those men wouldn't have been promoted to flag rank.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Ugh, I've forgotten who John Ward is. Does anyone remember ?

And wasn't it nice to see Granger mentioned in Black Widow?

I forgot, too, and was about to ask here then I checked the previous two chapters. He's discussed on the way to Windsor and is part of Cavendish's group there.

Loved the surprise Granger mention in BW. :wub: EDIT: Love even more that George's family support Labour! 

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2
  • 3 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 9:33 PM, Timothy M. said:

Ugh, I've forgotten who John Ward is. Does anyone remember ?

And wasn't it nice to see Granger mentioned in Black Widow?

Reveal hidden contents

I had to laugh about Albert's descendant coming back to bite the high and mighty Duke's ass, though.

Ahh it was nice that the Granger family line turned up in the Black Widow/CAP series.

I guess that leaves Mark a lot more years for writing the Bridgemont series ... for the CAP series are (unless Mark starts delaying the story) catching up with the time/days we live in... real soon.;)

Edited by Northern Dutch Guy
edit
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 9/10/2017 at 7:33 PM, impunity said:

I should probably read Hornblower. 

On 9/11/2017 at 1:54 AM, Mark Arbour said:

Yes. You should. 

I've done it! At least, I've read the first two novels and am embarking on the third. Am enjoying him immensely!  :yes:

At any rate, he's keeping me entertained until the next Northern Exposure chapter. ;):P

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, impunity said:

I've done it! At least, I've read the first two novels and am embarking on the third. Am enjoying him immensely!  :yes:

At any rate, he's keeping me entertained until the next Northern Exposure chapter. ;):P

Glad you are enjoying Horny.  A little milder than Granger,but a pretty good read.😎✔ 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Hi, anyone knows if Mark as set a tentative schedule for this book? I notice that in previous books he was said when they were being posted, like once a week, or once a month... 

Edited by Sweetlion

Was reading the last book when George and Caroline talk about previous members of George's crew and realize that while he is young, since he started young and had a meteoric ascend, George has already a considerable number of followers with ships, between frigates and small sloops. Calvert, Roberts, Brookstone, Clifton, and don't remember if Fitzwilliams has a small ship already, not counting Lennox as a flag officer. Since he his a frigate captain at heart, his dream is probably command a small frigate squadron with his friends, like Captains Pellew and Smith did. He talked about how well Nelson trained his captains, but his old lieutenants know him so well that imagine what kind of havoc they would inflict on Spanish and French if they actually were to sail together :gikkle:

Edited by Sweetlion
  • Like 2
On 10/17/2018 at 6:12 PM, Sweetlion said:

Hi, anyone knows if Mark as set a tentative schedule for this book? I notice that in previous books he was said when they were being posted, like once a week, or once a month... 

Mark's got a lot of personal stuff going on as well as professional commitments. We've accepted that postings for this book and Black Widow will be sporadic and are just happy when they happen.  

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Really enjoyed the latest chapter of Northern Exposure, the battle scenes were as usual very realistic.  I am truly enjoying how Granger is dealing with all of this; and how what is happening can be tied in the actual historical issues.  I know that those more learned than I have argued the level of involvement the British actually had in the upcoming assassination of the Czar, I personally believe they were heavily involved; but Mark is weaving just the right names and facts into his story for it to match wonderfully.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..