Breaking the Block

I'll do one of several things.

--Work on something completely different.  It helps me to feel productive and then I can usually come back to the story in a few days.

--Do something I dislike.  Usually, if I decide the bathroom needs cleaning, writing seems much more appealing

---Change things up.  Sometimes, it is really frustrating to be sitting at a computer, so I'll try to go somewhere else and write longhand for a while.  It usually helps.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

When I get hit with writers block I usually will sit down, read the last page or chapter and just write anything. Maybe it's not where I thought the story would go or maybe I'll end up throwing it out but at least I'm thinking about the characters and just letting anything get put down on the page. After I write whatever with it usually my mind is opened up again and I can get back into the story. It's a weird one but it's what works for me.

Good luck getting back into it!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Something else that I might suggest...if there's a particular part of your next chapter that you feel is significant or dramatic, and that's what's holding you back...try writing that scene first. Even if it's out of order. Sometimes, big revelations or plot twists in your story can be 'intimidating', and your desire to really knock some of these major scenes out of the park can be scary. Especially when it comes to building up to that special moment.

Try writing that major scene first and relieve some of that pressure. It hits me too. All the time. Sometimes you've just got to dive in and tackle the scene head on, and then go back and write the rest later. Make sure to link everything up and re-edit later to make sure it all flow's smoothly, but get the intimidating scenes out of your mind. Muses can be fickle. You've gotta trick them into doing what you want, sometimes! :P

• Love 2

It sucks when you want to write but nothing seems to translate on the page (or Word Doc in my case, lol). To fight this problem I usually either let it go for the day and come back to it at a later point (either that night or the next day) or I put some music on and try to visualise what I want to write. Sometimes it helps to take your mind off of your project and before you know it, ideas will flood your mind. At least, that's what happens in my case.

• Love 1