Who do you write for?

• Site Administrator

I agree with Cassie and Parker.  Ultimately I write for myself, although I've written a few pieces that were either for a specific person or requested by readers.  I'm thrilled when I get comments/reviews from anyone.  It's flattering and lovely to be blessed enough to have a loyal following, but getting comments from a new reader is equally as exciting to me.  I try to respond to all comments in a timely manner, but since I don't get notifications when someone comments on one of my stories (and I don't always remember to check the latest comments feed) some may have been missed.  Any oversight is most definitely not intentional.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Sam Wyer said:

I don't have any kind of interestingly different approach.  I write for me, and pretty much only for me.  And like @Valkyrie says, any feedback is great.

But... latest comments feed?  I've only just started posting stuff here on GA but I'm already struggling to know when there are new comments, which I want to know, because I like to respond.  How/where do I find this feed?

As Valkyrie said, that is the current way of seeing notifications, and the best part is they stay in your steam until you access them, not get buried under other notifications. We have always had notifications that pop up or email for comments on stories or chapters, but that system is broken and we haven't been able to get our custom software (Stories) to connect properly with the forum software we get from IP Board. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I write because I enjoy doing it, but I don't just write for myself. If I did that I would never be on here publishing my stories. Yes - I want people to read my stories - of course I do (otherwise it's a waste of time publishing). The only way I know people are reading what I publish is the number of views, but I need feedback, LIKES, HATES, Wows and comments - Then I need reviews when the book is complete. It doesn't need to be a five star review. I like to know what you thought even if you didn't like it, so long as you say why, I can live with that. For me the likes, the comments, are payment for you reading the book for free - does that sound pretentious? It's not meant to be. But honestly, if no one ever commented, liked, oh yes and followed, then I probably wouldn't publish.

• Like 4
On 9/5/2017 at 4:13 AM, Valkyrie said:

Click on the "Activity" tab, then select "My Activity Streams".  The last option that appears is "Newest comments on my stories/chapters". :)  

Thanks for mentioning this!! I've been trying to keep track of when people comment on my stories and checking every page is NOT efficient :) 

Like what most people have said, I usually write for myself. Sometimes there's an idea or question I want to explore or I use writing as a therapeutic exercise to work through something I'm struggling with. I find writing quite cathartic. 

Recently, I've been writing for specific submission calls, so I've had to write around the requirements of other people. Even then, I was only able to write those stories because they were in line with something I already wanted to write. 

• Like 5
On 05/09/2017 at 12:13 PM, Valkyrie said:

Click on the "Activity" tab, then select "My Activity Streams".  The last option that appears is "Newest comments on my stories/chapters". :)  

Just wanted to tell you that this really helped me - I found comments I hadn't answered that were six months old. I feel terrible that I didn't see them, but better late than never I suppose. This should be a button on every authors profile page. @Valkyrie thank you so much.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, MrM said:

When you are true to your expression then when others appreciate it too they are actually saying they 'like your colors'. There is something that you are conveying to them that they connect with and that only YOU can communicate to them. 

What you say here is beautiful, full of love and emotion - I love your colours!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been struggling lately with this question. Who do I write for? There are times I'm quite sure I'm writing for myself, other times, because of others, and that's such a delicate edge to stay on. So, sometimes I sort of stay suspended over both sides.  It happens when I finish a project I really loved, or when the three others I have started are not speaking to me.  How frustrating it can be, I can't begin to explain, but I suppose that's part of the process. But, Reading everyone's answers right now, I feel I need to really think about this, and discover what is working, and what is not about this writing process.

@mogwhy I feel the GA community is always shifting...people coming and going, sometimes over the months, the people who you started out with in a project, end up changing, and sometimes you even find your readers have changed, those commenting have changed. It happens.  I believe that if a piece speaks to a reader, it won't matter who wrote it.  The author is sort of secondary in some scenarios. If I really love the poem, or the story, I will like it and comment on it because my feelings and emotions are into the fiction, the work, the characters.  No matter the circumstances, the author will appreciate the input, because they put in work to create that piece, and it is always great to know what a reader is thinking/feeling while reading it.  As a writer, I will say I draw in from the feedback, whether negative or positive, I used it to learn, so, never think that your opinion on a piece is not wanted.  Even if that person seems not to like you.  Gosh, if a person didn't like me and they commented on my story, I would race to read what they said. Then obsess about it for days.  (that's the truth) confessions...:*)

• Like 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, lilansui said:

I've been struggling lately with this question. Who do I write for? There are times I'm quite sure I'm writing for myself, other times, because of others, and that's such a delicate edge to stay on. So, sometimes I sort of stay suspended over both sides.  It happens when I finish a project I really loved, or when the three others I have started are not speaking to me.  How frustrating it can be, I can't begin to explain, but I suppose that's part of the process. But, Reading everyone's answers right now, I feel I need to really think about this, and discover what is working, and what is not about this writing process.

@mogwhy I feel the GA community is always shifting...people coming and going, sometimes over the months, the people who you started out with in a project, end up changing, and sometimes you even find your readers have changed, those commenting have changed. It happens.  I believe that if a piece speaks to a reader, it won't matter who wrote it.  The author is sort of secondary in some scenarios. If I really love the poem, or the story, I will like it and comment on it because my feelings and emotions are into the fiction, the work, the characters.  No matter the circumstances, the author will appreciate the input, because they put in work to create that piece, and it is always great to know what a reader is thinking/feeling while reading it.  As a writer, I will say I draw in from the feedback, whether negative or positive, I used it to learn, so, never think that your opinion on a piece is not wanted.  Even if that person seems not to like you.  Gosh, if a person didn't like me and they commented on my story, I would race to read what they said. Then obsess about it for days.  (that's the truth) confessions...:*)

the last couple sentences, i never really thought about it like that. i just didn't want to be rude and make comments that were not wanted or make the author uncomfortable. thanks!

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

the last couple sentences, i never really thought about it like that. i just didn't want to be rude and make comments that were not wanted or make the author uncomfortable. thanks!

Anytime.  Well, all I can say again is that authors always want comments, reviews on their work. :P  

• Like 3
  • Love 2

This is my first post on this...thanks for inviting me in, by the way.  Now, I can understand some of you guys more.  Writing just seems to just...come.  I've done it since I was eight, coming home from a movie and wonder what else happened after it stopped.  I agree with Irvic when he describes it as something that just has to come out.  Inspiration is everywhere in life and I consider the "What if" part.  Like with The Perfect Son.  I thought about a young man with an unusal heritage.  Cherokee, Jewish?  Impossible?  How do I explain that?  So, I came up with an explanation.  I agree with Myr.  What happens when the glass slipper is given to a man instead?  And who would turn down Prince Charming!?  The story lines come, it's the editing and re-editing and I'm still doing it over and over again and finding errors.  Potholes in the road I want you going down?  I don't think so.

• Like 3
  • Love 1