Testing on Letter and IM Formats

Myr

47 minutes ago, Myr said:

I just wanted to let people know that we've started testing on special formatting for Letters and IM's.  Both will require using the editor to implement, however.  (they'll be buttons).  But  the format will also be visible in the editor as well

This is the letter format:

Dear Crazy Uncle Ziggy,

I am writing you this letter to show you what writing a letter would look like in a story.  Isn't that just cool?

See you soon,

Myr

Your Unhinged Favorite Nephew

Of course, people use IM's and Email. more

where r u?

behind u

no u aren't

uh huh

We will be doing testing on what works best in both ease of use and robustness using different view modes when reading.

This could be useful, a lot of my characters use messaging services - because, you know, it's the 21st century :)  I find it hard to differentiate between styles of communication and conversation.  Usually I resort to single ' and double " .

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24 September 2017 at 7:02 PM, Myr said:

I just wanted to let people know that we've started testing on special formatting for Letters and IM's.  Both will require using the editor to implement, however.  (they'll be buttons).  But  the format will also be visible in the editor as well

This is the letter format:

Dear Crazy Uncle Ziggy,

I am writing you this letter to show you what writing a letter would look like in a story.  Isn't that just cool?

See you soon,

Myr

Your Unhinged Favorite Nephew

Of course, people use IM's and Email. more

where r u?

behind u

no u aren't

uh huh

We will be doing testing on what works best in both ease of use and robustness using different view modes when reading.

Speaking personally from a reader pov, I would like to bring up how hard to read the top box is. I know a couple of members that use a similar font in their posts on site, and the only way I can understand them is to copy and paste them into word and change the font to something blockier. If its used in a story I would find it rather annoying and it would take me away from the story as I tried to understand it.  Is there not an option that is less curly, but still suitable for the desired effect? 

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Looks fine to me...

image.png

I see it is more cursive on my android tablet... but this shows once again that mileage may vary.  It's just fine in the other style as well.  do you have a screenshot of what you are talking about?

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Myr said:

Looks fine to me...

image.png

I see it is more cursive on my android tablet... but this shows once again that mileage may vary.  It's just fine in the other style as well.  do you have a screenshot of what you are talking about?

On my laptop it looks fine but on my iPad (where I do most of my reading it looks like this

20171003_191643000_iOS.thumb.png.bc75d1a73f8dd362505ff04cb36e8d8b.png

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Caz Pedroso said:

On my laptop it looks fine but on my iPad (where I do most of my reading it looks like this

20171003_191643000_iOS.thumb.png.bc75d1a73f8dd362505ff04cb36e8d8b.png

Yes, I think this may be an iOS issue as the same thing happens in iPhone, but I find it very hard to read and broadly annoying too.  To be fair, Myr’s android screenshot looks fine to me.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Sam Wyer said:

Yes, I think this may be an iOS issue as the same thing happens in iPhone, but I find it very hard to read and broadly annoying too.  To be fair, Myr’s android screenshot looks fine to me.

Yep, Myr's shot looks great, I wish technology wasn't so difficult to get to work together. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Caz Pedroso said:

Yep, Myr's shot looks great, I wish technology wasn't so difficult to get to work together. 

This is why it should all be in Courier and with nothing ‘fancy’ at all ;) 

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I've adjusted the settings a bit.  Does it make it easier to read?

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

i have a hard time reading the 2nd font in Myr's 1st post. the other i read easily. i also have a hard time with the 2 font in caz's screen shot.

Funny how things look different, isn't it?? The second one is really easy and clear to me. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..