3 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

I pose a question for you guys. Something I've pondered with recent GA offerings, and upcoming birthday. 
As I get older, and farther from my younger years... My reading has matured. Maturing writing as well. 
I crave more adult stories like Changes, and Dissonance. Among other greats I've read. Often inundated with another teen offering. 
Do you find yourselves wanting more mature stories. Are your characters and themes in writing maturing as you do? 

i started reading stuff online less then 2 years ago. i have an eclectic reading tastes. i'll read just about anything, but i do enjoy the more mature stories better. those stick with me more. i want to read those again and again.. i find myself not choosing new pieces to read where the main, characters are under 16, if they are still in high school, i might or might not read. i want a whole cake, not just the frosting. Dissonance, The Lilydale Leopard series, Snowflake, Morningstar: The Malaise. are some i like that, that fit for me. so, jp, the answer to your question, yes, i find me looking for more meat in my stories.

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, Comicality said:

Not really. But maybe that's just me. (shrugs)

I read a little bit of everything, no matter what the age or maturity of the characters are, as long as it's a good story. Stuff like "Peter Pan", "Lord Of The Flies", "Stand By Me", "Jungle Book", etc...still classics. Still enjoyable. But can tackle mature ideas and themes, regardless.

I treat younger characters in stories with a sense of nostalgia. The way people did with "The Wonder Years", or "Saved By The Bell", or more recently with "Stranger Things". It takes you back to a time when the challenges were smaller, but didn't seem that way. So it balances out.

I can't say that I'd purposely avoid a story for its theme. Now...if I start reading it, and discover that it's not my thing, then so be it. But I can't say that I'm actively 'looking' for anything specific in a story right now. I just want something that'll grab me and get me involved in the message the author is trying to express. All the other semantics don't matter much to me. I want an author to bring me into THEIR world. I don't want them to write just what I want to see. I'm an author. I can write that myself. I'd rather be surprised by a story that took me to a place I wasn't expecting to go to.

Happy birthday in advance, by the way! :) 

Thank you. Your stories follow teens, but are fully developed people. That's not easy. You've nailed that genre, with very few capable of that. I often tried to characterize what your stories were to me. You said it... Nostalgia!! I loved The Wonder Years, and Stranger Things. Definitely simpler times. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I appreciate your participation. jp ❤️

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, Dodger said:

This is interesting JP. I'm still very new to this. When I started, I only intended to write one story which was very loosely based on my own experiences as a teenager. It was an interesting and challenging time for me which I thought would provide a good background for a story. I got a lot of enjoyment from writing this story and soon found myself hooked, having to write every day. It was and still is like a drug and I panicked when I realised that the story was coming to an end. It was only ever going to be one story but I knew that I wouldn't be able to cope without it, so I reluctantly ventured out of my blinkered world to try my hand at writing something else. I was out of my comfort zone because I wasn't a writer, just telling a story. Now I had to make the whole thing up from scratch and I felt out of my depth and a bit of an imposter running back to the safety of my original story when things got tough and hiding behind my established characters. I'm slightly off topic here but I feel limited writing about teens and my other stories are mostly more adult orientated because I think that it allows me more scope and flexibility. Now that I've become more comfortable outside of my shell, I want to write about everything and I need to feed this hunger by tackling subjects that I would never have imagined me writing about when I first started. I still go running back to my old faithful with my tail between my legs when something goes wrong but I doubt if I could write another teen story.       

Thanks Dodger. You know I love Robbie. Even though it follows his teen years, there's maturity with adults involved. I love your newest story, it's funny and clever. I just cringe every time a new teen story comes along.  The site needs to be well-rounded, I do understand that.  I'm not anti-teen story. I do read them.  Your experiences change as you get older. We're well passed lunchroom and locker rooms. 

Edited by BlindAmbition
  • Like 4

I find that my writing mirrors life, not consciously I have started out with teenage characters and young adults, but I think I will soon move forward although there will always be a place for the younger years. I may one day write a story about an old guy, without it being an autobiography, lol. What interests me is writing, every genre, every style, and the thousands of subjects, I like the challenge of trying to master something new, but to answer your question, yes, I do find myself wanting more mature stories, but that is not necessarily tied into age groups, but themes. Example Cynus' Rivers of the Dead which is a voyage - by teenagers - into the underworld, was a fantastic subject, a refreshing change from the ups and downs of coming out gay in high school. I guess I'm saying what has already been voiced, it's the quality of the writing, but at the same time, too much of the same thing can spoil the dish!

• Like 3

I agree. I like some stories about teen characters, but too often I find them hard to believe. I much rather have mature characters, and stories, as they are a lot more believable than something like Bella Swan or Katness Everdeeen.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Hudson Bartholomew said:

I do find myself gravitating toward more mature characters. I certainly prefer writing more mature characters. 

I have really enjoyed many stories starring teenagers, but I never go seeking them out. It's almost like I accidentally stumble upon them and end up falling for them, hehe. I think there's a certain dynamism that comes with teenager/young adult life. High schools are full of drama, transition to college is full of drama. Teenagers are learning more about themselves, figuring out who they are. There's lots of great fodder there to work with. Adults can be stale and boring, :gikkle: j/k!!

Your adults are far from boring... Dying for a certain sequel. What you said is very accurate though.

• Like 5

I tend to write mature characters just because that's what comes through to me.

I actually enjoy writing older characters very much. I can bring with them a lifetime's worth of experiences and the depth of thought and feeling that wisdom can bring. So far I've only added a couple of such characters and they are 'bit parts' at the moment. But, I feel there may be enough of a story to them that they might deserve whole books of their own orr even series.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, MrM said:

I actually enjoy writing older characters very much.

Older or really old, what always springs to mind is Death in Venice:

“Forbearance in the face of fate, beauty constant under torture, are not merely passive. They are a positive achievement, an explicit triumph.” 
 Thomas Mann, Death in Venice and Other Tales

• Like 4

I'm speaking as more of a writer than a reader, but I am very attached to my teenage characters.  I will occasionally write about older teenagers, and I have one or two stories that focus on adult characters, but for some reason, I just like to write about teenagers.  I think they are a lot of fun, they are in this wonderful transition from children into adults, but are both of them and neither of them all at once, and I think that is just a fascinating age and perspective to write from.  

(Also one of my teenage characters was SUCH a BRAT and that was just ridiculously fun to write, I'm not even going to lie). :P  

• Like 4
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

I'm speaking as more of a writer than a reader, but I am very attached to my teenage characters.  I will occasionally write about older teenagers, and I have one or two stories that focus on adult characters, but for some reason, I just like to write about teenagers.  I think they are a lot of fun, they are in this wonderful transition from children into adults, but are both of them and neither of them all at once, and I think that is just a fascinating age and perspective to write from.  

(Also one of my teenage characters was SUCH a BRAT and that was just ridiculously fun to write, I'm not even going to lie). :P  

No doubt teens offer more writing opportunity.

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

Stories about teens are more popular on our site and Nifty.  ebook sales skew towards college/just after college age.

Obviously, this is a general statement... stories like @Comicality, @DomLuka, @dkstories have drawn a lot of eyeballs over the years.  (There are many more, so please don't feel left out that I didn't list more)

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Myr said:

Stories about teens are more popular on our site and Nifty.  ebook sales skew towards college/just after college age.

Obviously, this is a general statement... stories like @Comicality, @DomLuka, @dkstories have drawn a lot of eyeballs over the years.  (There are many more, so please don't feel left out that I didn't list more)

The statistics for site don't surprise me. I wonder if Ebooks naturally grab older audiences. That's interesting.

• Like 2

My first longer work was a teenage novel. But nearly everything else I've taken a fancy to writing has been about people in various stages of adulthood. There is something in writing about the teenage discovery of self that is engaging, but there is also a real attraction to mature individuals finding that which was lost, or which eluded them. And people of all ages go on fascinating journeys in life. For me, a grand story is about characters who can change, and undergo transformation, no matter their age. 

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, Comicality said:

For me, I write about teenagers because I really enjoy the power and the overwhelming emotion of discovering your first love. Not that love has to be any less potent once you get older, but I love to write about the confusion and angst that comes with feeling it for the very first time. It's a blast of nostalgia that really brings us all back to what love is really all about before we start adding rules and regulations to the idea later on. Remember how AMAZING that first crush felt? Think about it for a moment. Go ahead. Hehehe!

You're smiling right now, aren't you? :P

That's the feeling that I want to recapture for those who are reading.

As for ebook sales, the college and adult experience is just as awesome. I think the difference is that college kids and older have credit cards and a somewhat disposal income to purchase ebooks. One of the reason that I kept most of my stuff free is because I don't expect high school kids to have money to buy subscriptions or ebooks. Older guys can, and they relate to more mature material (Thus...the topic at hand). So I can see the scales being  little off balance in that way.

I love this response. The way you look at it is sweet and endearing. Someone with a good heart.

• Like 4

Thanks! ((hugz))

I really do think that the same magic can be created in stories with older characters as well. I've written stories like "Between The Lines" or "Just What I Ordered", where the protagonist had an idea of what love was, and had it totally redefined by a new experience with someone they had a random encounter with. Which has the same effect. Love is different each and every time you experience it, you know? So there's a lot to be said for adult stories of romance too. I just like to explore the younger end of it all. :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 3