• Site Administrator

I have been working on my discipline to be writing every day.  At least a little of that is writing stories.  I've been doing blogs, reviews, posts and since this is the fantasy forum, I've been working on completing my Harry Potter and the Parliament of Dreams fanfiction.  I've left it far too long and I want to finally complete it so I can look forward to my own worlds for writing.

At the moment, I've been hopping between writing my FanFic, writing my sci-fi anthology entry (more details in the Sci-Fi Club) and developing my Fantasy world.  This is more World Development work than it is the story at the moment.  I've got some truly epic things percolating in my head and I've been working on ignoring my excuses for not writing and just taking the time to write.

What are you working on?

• Love 2

Currently, I'm working on Chapter 5 of my story called The Half-Elven Warlock. I am wanting to complete this story, so I've been focused on it. (If you do the World Feature for the Stories section, the world this is written in Modern Earth + a Fantasy realm that are connected, then more will be in this world.)

Also working on:

My Shorts - 2018. Writing Prompts that I use as practice, and I post them Raw. They are unedited, beyond what I self-edit, and not beta read. I find that I'm getting better at every posting.

Summer Contest - Won't discuss it, as per the rules.

Spring Anthology 2018 - Decided today to do one.

3 other serial stories that need work. a Star Trek FanFic (which is the ONLY one currently in that category), my SciFi Story Aeris - Guardian Force, and my Urban Fantasy Romance, Finding Eros in Florida.

Those are the biggies, but I'm posting practice pieces, Cia's Newsletter Prompt stories, and others as they hit me as well.

Currently working on one for the Newsletter Prompt: Forbidden Love. That one is now Finalized, even with the February 9th deadline, as it has be submitted for approval. Yes, I'm writing about a moderated subject, Incest. And so far, I think my small team of helpers is liking it. It's not a typical love story.

Edited by BHopper2
Even with Grammarly and Autocorrect, the Typodemon strikes.
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Myr said:

At the moment, I've been hopping between writing my FanFic, writing my sci-fi anthology entry (more details in the Sci-Fi Club) and developing my Fantasy world.  This is more World Development work than it is the story at the moment.  I've got some truly epic things percolating in my head and I've been working on ignoring my excuses for not writing and just taking the time to write.

What are you working on?

I don't know how you do it, Myr. I have three major stories I'd like to be working on but I've learnt that I'm most definitely a 'one story at a time' writer, and trying more than one just doesn't work for me.

I do reasonably well with managing a couple of hours writing on most days (no comparison with younger authors who have to work though - retirement does have benefits.  :) )

My writing presence on GA is sadly lacking at the moment but my plans are to change that in a few months time when I'm hoping to start posting my first attempt at the fantasy genre.

It's set in Australia as well as elven realms, with magic and adventures.  It's already reached novel length and is still growing in scope and complexity.

Thank goodness I decided (for the first time) not to post as I was writing, as the number of revisions and rewrites of earlier parts would have driven readers crazy.

I see many GA authors with multiple stories on the go and wonder how they manage the mind shift required .

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
17 hours ago, Palantir said:

I don't know how you do it, Myr.

I have a "shiny object" problem.  So, my attention bounces around and I do things accordingly.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Palantir said:

I see many GA authors with multiple stories on the go and wonder how they manage the mind shift required .

3 minutes ago, Myr said:

I have a "shiny object" problem.  So, my attention bounces around and I do things accordingly.

A similar issue for me. But also, like @Comicality said once. I can't write a raging battle scene, when I'm in the mood to write some hot and heavy sex scene.

Edited by BHopper2
Even with Grammarly and Autocorrect, the Typodemon strikes.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator

I've opened the vaults and found two more stories I'm poking at.  I think one of them will be the Encounters anthology.  It'll be set in the same world as my Ranger story.  It won't be the same kingdom though, I think.  The other story... is different from my other stuff... and is already novella length.  It needs a LOT of editing though.  We'll see. ;)

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Site Administrator

I was trolling through my mancave and grabbed some more reference material for a thought I had.  Now, I just need to win the lotto or something so I can sit and write instead of wast 50+ hours a week dealing with work. lol

stack of D&D books

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

I should add that my stuff is now split between my current home and my future one, so the things I'm looking for are often in the opposite location from me.

• Wow 3
2 hours ago, Myr said:

I should add that my stuff is now split between my current home and my future one, so the things I'm looking for are often in the opposite location from me.

Google Drive, or MS One Drive. I have both and use them a lot. Especially if I'm at the Library doing research, I'll use one of the public comps, and login into OneNote.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator

My digital stuff is everywhere. lol.  I have backups of my backups.

But all of my PCs/laptops have my writing and digital things.  It's the physical things.  I much prefer picking up an actually book and flipping through over dealing with silly zoom issues in a PDF or the difficulty in jumping around with a Kindle.

And I have a LOT of physical books. lol

I actually cart my desktop computer and monitor back and forth.  this is so that I can fix GA issues when I'm at my mothers.  working off a laptop is not something I enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator
On 1/24/2018 at 6:24 PM, Myr said:

I think one of them will be the Encounters anthology.  It'll be set in the same world as my Ranger story.

I've plugged away at this.  Lots of editing.  The story is the correct length already.  But I'm really working on flow.  I'm not liking it yet, but I'm plugging away at it.

• Love 2
  • 4 weeks later...

My plan this weekend is to follow the rivers and chase the squirrels... For reference: 

On three things

In my ideal order:

Chapter 2 of  

2. My anthology entry (now or never) - voted "most behind schedule" by the cast and crew in my head. 

3. Chapter 8 of  what's described here. 

ISO beta reader (post up in writers club)

I was finishing chapter 7 at midnight a few weeks ago and thought I would go to bed and write down the start of chapter 8 in the morning... lost it. Still trying to slug through it the hard way. 

4. old school freeform character role-playing sheets, backgrounds motivations, settings

5.  any other squirrels I managed to catch

That's right, you get to put up with me in this board now, too. ^_^

Edited by VampireMystic
I said three, I listed five, I've decided to leave it as a case in point. no plan survives its first encounter with the squirrels.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I've been bad lately.  Spending most of my waking time packing, cleaning, moving or filling out paperwork.  It feels endless.  But hopefully all this wraps up soon and I can start the new job.

• Like 4

I could basically repost my plan. 

Life, gets in the way.  But the only option is to go through it

Edited by VampireMystic
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I keep a small notebook with me at all times. It has story ideas, character sketches, and a dozen endings for the same story. I'm working on 3 stories, one is for the anthology and just took on the challenge from Cia. Just hope to finish one on time.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I know with the move, fixing the barn up, and a new job, you might be pressed for time, but how's the writing going Myr? I'm hoping you get to squeeze some time in there, someplace.