Writing and your blind readers!

3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

This is eye opening!  Thank you for posting it. 

I'll remember this, jp!  Very helpful. 

Thanks for reading tim. Wanted to give insight to what I know most authors don’t understand. This is a community to share knowledge. ☺️

• Like 3
1 minute ago, BlindAmbition said:

Thanks for reading tim. Wanted to give insight to what I know most authors don’t understand. This is a community to share knowledge. ☺️

It's great .. i have no idea how your screen reader works. So it's great that you tell us!  

• Like 3

i did wonder how those things handle stuff like this. i hate those type of breaks that you are talking about.  due to my own vision difficulties, doing those "3 lines of symbols" turn into 6-7 lines, forcing lots of scrolling. thanks jp!

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

i did wonder how those things handle stuff like this. i hate those type of breaks that you are talking about.  due to my own vision difficulties, doing those "3 lines of symbols" turn into 6-7 lines, forcing lots of scrolling. thanks jp!

Thanks for participating Moggy. Yes, it can throw a visually impaired reader for a loop.

• Like 3

I honestly never thought about this. Thanks for letting us know, jp.

On some of my older postings, there is a solid line for a break. Is that ok with the reader, or should we avoid it?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I honestly never thought about this. Thanks for letting us know, jp.

On some of my older postings, there is a solid line for a break. Is that ok with the reader, or should we avoid it?

Thanks for reading A. If it’s solid without spaces, it’s fine. Reader will treat as a header, or border and pass it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Wow, yeah, I'm with everybody else when I say tha I never thought about how an online reader would pick up on breaks like that. I don't use them myself, but sometimes I type thing in all caps and they get 'spelled out' instead of being read as a word. So I understand the flaw in the system there. I'll keep it in mind, just in case.

Also, I'm really impressed by some screen readers. There was one reader that had the "Class By Himself" chapters sound as though they were read by a young British teen. Which was like, wow! LOL! I would love to do more audio book stuff, but getting voice talent is difficult. If I have any more luck in the future, I'll be sure to let you know.

In the meanwhile, I have an audio version of the beginning of my vampire story, "Gone From Daylight", if you want to check it out. The voice actor is a fan, and I thought he did an EXCELLENT job with his reading! I just added some background ambience once he was finished. Hopefully I can get him to do more in the future. If I do, you'll be the first to know. K? Link below.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Comicality said:

Wow, yeah, I'm with everybody else when I say tha I never thought about how an online reader would pick up on breaks like that. I don't use them myself, but sometimes I type thing in all caps and they get 'spelled out' instead of being read as a word. So I understand the flaw in the system there. I'll keep it in mind, just in case.

Also, I'm really impressed by some screen readers. There was one reader that had the "Class By Himself" chapters sound as though they were read by a young British teen. Which was like, wow! LOL! I would love to do more audio book stuff, but getting voice talent is difficult. If I have any more luck in the future, I'll be sure to let you know.

In the meanwhile, I have an audio version of the beginning of my vampire story, "Gone From Daylight", if you want to check it out. The voice actor is a fan, and I thought he did an EXCELLENT job with his reading! I just added some background ambience once he was finished. Hopefully I can get him to do more in the future. If I do, you'll be the first to know. K? Link below.

Thanks Comsi! GFD is a fave along with Fanboys. I use Samantha... Apple’s American TTS voice. Thanks for the audio link. I’ll check it out. You understand the shortcomings... All caps is indeed read by letter. BTW, enjoying your new articles. ☺️

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

I'll check out my stories for this, but let me know if you discover other such problems.

Can I ask how your reader reacts to footnotes ? @BlindAmbition

I know most would never know this, unless they were given a heads up. Footnotes are fine. There’s usually not an issue. I’m sure you’re referring to your Danish translations. Those work perfectly.

• Like 3