On 11/20/2018 at 3:01 PM, Carlos Hazday said:

You know I'm not averse to borrowing characters. I do happen to have one living in London. A Brit with Pakistani parents. Former boxer and Harvard educated attorney. He returned to the UK after a breakup and my two MCs visited with him on their way to a rugby tournament in Amsterdam.

Wow! What would Eric think of the whirlwind that is CJ?

• Haha 4
29 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Wow! What would Eric think of the whirlwind that is CJ?

Knowing how cross-grained Eric is, I imagine he'd shrug, and go on his way. CJ would be so far removed from his reality as to not be interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Progress: chapters 12 and 13 are done, and 14 will be on the stocks tomorrow.  :)

Following @Carlos Hazday's excellent example ...  :P here's a short extract from the first chapter:

Spoiler

The old man peered out of his kitchen window at the dark, dismal morning. It didn't even look daylight yet, and it was wet. He hated February – it was always such a depressing month. At least it wasn't snowing unlike the previous week. He thought he'd have to miss his session, but Andy called round in his 4x4 to check up on him and gave him a lift into town. He found making his own way back tricky, but it was worth it.

Eric took a moment to luxuriate in the new warmth and comfort of his cottage. Of course, it wasn't suddenly perfect, but it had improved beyond all recognition. He put up with cold and damp for so many years, it became normal. Thank god, the workmen had finally gone away for good. The weeks of disruption really got on his nerves – the noise, dirt, and the constant stream of people in and out of his home. The bloke doing the heating repairs was the worst – in and out like a yo-yo, and not taking any notice of the soil, mud, or sand on his boots from the work on his path. Eric sighed. Every day the work went on, he hardly knew if he was coming or going, and he spent most of his time clearing up.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Christmas greetings to readers of this story.  :)  Here's a card from Eric's part of the world.

26741687638_3943e7c188_b.jpg

Don't forget Eric's story restarts in under two weeks time.  Chapter 14 is nearly finished. Here's another short extract:

Spoiler

When's your birthday, Eric?”

Eric blinked. His birthday was a non-starter. Except for filling in forms, he never bothered to remember.

Err … End of April. The twenty-eighth.”

So, soon. Awesome.”

Eric wondered what was 'awesome' about that particular date.

Andy continued. “Will you let me buy you this as a birthday present?”

A present?”

Yes. Why not? Adam and I make a fuss of each other's birthdays.”

Eric shrugged. “OK … If you want to.”

Great.” With a beaming smile, Andy strode off to the counter and paid immediately.

Coming back, he asked another question. “Would you like it now, or on your birthday?”

Err …” It didn't make any difference to him, but he wanted to please Andy. “On my birthday?”

Done. Right …” Andy looked at his phone. “We need to be getting back. Supper isn't going to cook itself.”

• Like 1
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, northie said:

Christmas greetings to readers of this story.  :)  Here's a card from Eric's part of the world.

26741687638_3943e7c188_b.jpg

Don't forget Eric's story restarts in under two weeks time.  Chapter 14 is nearly finished. Here's another short extract:

Well that's promising.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

And we don’t have to wait until Eric’s birthday to read about it!  ;–)

Well we don't know that for certain. If northie is working on chapter 14 and this is an extract it could be Spring when she posts it.

Edited by dughlas
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Well we don't know that for certain. If northie is working on chapter 14 and this is an extract it could be Spring when she posts it.

Good thinking, Sherlock.  :lol:

• Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...

New Year, new Eric? Maybe ...  Make your own mind up on Friday and continuing with Never To Late To Explore, the second book of Eric's story. See you there.  :)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

but I also like to read about his thoughts of the past

Those won't disappear. How could they for someone who has spent his life denying who he is? Almost everything that happens to him brings these thoughts to mind. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I receive comments on the story which really get to me (in a good way ;) ). Often these are from @droughtquake. Today a new reader, @Jaro_423 started reading book 1. His comments on chapters 1 and 4 are well worth reading. They illustrate the reality which I fictionalise.  :yes:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, northie said:

Sometimes I receive comments on the story which really get to me (in a good way ;) ). Often these are from @droughtquake. Today a new reader, @Jaro_423 started reading book 1. His comments on chapters 1 and 4 are well worth reading. They illustrate the reality which I fictionalise.  :yes:

I agree about those comments, I hope @Jaro_423 leaves more.

And, no, I' not interested in cage matches. @droughtquake

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, northie said:

6 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I agree about those comments, I hope @Jaro_423 leaves more.

And, no, I' not interested in cage matches. @droughtquake

Thanks for the encouragement to comment. I like to do so, though sometimes I'm at a loss for words - mind goes blank. Lol!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

You could do what I do and make things up!  ;–)

I should clarify that. I come up with interesting ideas for the evolution of the story. Requests for cameos of characters from other stories, sometimes from the same author, sometimes not (and sometimes intentionally nonsensical possibilities). Or suggestions for the return of minor characters earlier chapters. Especially with the last one, I’m sure @Dodger was a little annoyed with my campaign to get the Retired Social Worker™ to make a return appearance – which Dodger eventually granted.  ;–)

3 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I come up with interesting ideas for the evolution of the story.

You do indeed, drought, and I appreciate your engagement with my writing.  :) Even if you try to shoehorn Eric into all sorts of other stories. Mine, @Carlos Hazday's, and others, for all I know.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3