Different Forms of Writing

Currently I'm writing a fantasy story that deals with well-known fairy tales like Snow White with a twist in the modern world and a science fiction story based on mythological elements originating from the Philippines with other mythologies as well.  However, as I write these stories, I really want to expand the universe by doing different forms of writing.  For example, I'm really interested in epistolary writing like in the novel World War Z, and for my science fiction story called Hero Wanted, I want to write something like interviews with the characters that would be seen in a celebrity magazine.  And currently I'm using a storytelling card game called Once Upon a Time to expand the universe of Charming by writing short stories that uses the cards I draw randomly from a deck.

My question to you all is do you have ways to color your story's universe outside of the traditional sense and can you explain it?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Superpride said:

My question to you all is do you have ways to color your story's universe outside of the traditional sense and can you explain it?

I use Role-Playing Games as a foundation for my writing. Everything I have posted on GA has been Homebrew Worlds, but they are effectively Character Journals. I just take a lot of creative license from my game notes, and how I feel other players dealt with things.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

I use Role-Playing Games as a foundation for my writing. Everything I have posted on GA has been Homebrew Worlds, but they are effectively Character Journals. I just take a lot of creative license from my game notes, and how I feel other players dealt with things.

Wow.  That sounds very interesting.  I totally need to check that out.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

I would LOVE to be able to do that! Hehehe, I still haven't figured it out just yet.

I have some stories that I've written in 1st, 2nd, 3rd person for a bit of variety. And "Billy Chase", which is written in a journal format, but I'd love to try out different ideas myself. I've been trying hard to come up with a way to write something that would have a 'found footage movie' feel to it. But I have no way of pulling that off! LOL!

I like BHopper's idea though. That does sound pretty cool. I'd be down to read that, dude! :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Comicality said:

I like BHopper's idea though. That does sound pretty cool. I'd be down to read that, dude! :)

So, I have three stories based on Role-Playing Games:

Aeris - Guardian Force. SciFi/Fantasy in that it's mixed Magic and Technology. We took Palladium Book's RIFTS, and ROBOTECH, campaign settings for the foundation, and totally bastardized them into a Homebrew World. Was the first serial story I started posting on GA.

My Shorts - 2018. So far the characters in these shorts are former RPG characters of mine and members of my group. Honsol and Rune were my PCs. Homebrew World, but uses Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition for the rules.

The Half-Elven Warlock. 100% being played out, as I write the chapters. Some elements are not directly from the game, like Devin and Victor's romance from chapter 4. But the bulk of the story is taken from our gaming sessions. There's a lot of stuff that is not in the story, and I condensed time for the first four chapters into a week, where it was a lot longer. In the process of writing chapter 5, and it's heavy in the combat arena. Mixing magic in our modern world, with the one major plot point of the Main Character, can't be killed (yet), has me changing some things on it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator

Dungeons & Dragons lay under most of the stuff I write.  Somewhere.  It did have a huge effect on me as a kid. 

• Love 1

When D&D was at its height, I had my nose buried in horrormovies, so I missed it! Hehehe! 80's kid, all the way. But I was Mr. 'Fangoria Magazine' and comic books and 8-bit Nintendo when the D&D craze was going on. But I always loved the stories behind them. I even see them slipping into some of the movies and video games we see today. So if you can build on that foundation, more power to ya dude! Thanks for the story titles too! I'll check them out.

I've had a few ideas, but I've always been intimidated to write something more in the sci-fi/fantasy genre. I'll get the guts someday. Promise. :P I've got some notes.

Edited by Comicality
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Comicality said:

When D&D was at its height,

Which is right now. With DnD5e and more players playing over the internet via video chat, it's resurging. You can go on YouTube and find a ton of channels devoted to DnD, and lots of advice is very much useful for Writing, as it is for Role-playing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator

There are a LOT of different ways to twist classic stories, and a lot of inspiration can be drawn from the world-building and background information from science fiction games. I always liked my son's Magic cards because they were creative, but I never could get the game, lol. And I like playing around with techniques and methods to write because that's how you find your style, but for prompts most of the time. I don't like to mess around with my novellas and novels. I tend to delve more into my characters and the world itself than the plots of my stories, since I feel that comes more organically as I write once I have those two elements down. I do feature different games or prompts and styles in writing challenges for authors here on GA that get featured in the site newsletter as well, but those are mostly ideas I find online and adapt to the site specifically. 

You can use websites to do random plot/character selection like this one. And the left sidebar on that site has a lot of other prompt options. 

http://www.writingexercises.co.uk/plotgenerator.php

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Cia said:

I always liked my son's Magic cards because they were creative, but I never could get the game,

OMG!!! Magic: The Gathering was, like, an ADDICTION in our college dorm! No better sport than a card game with dark sorcery! :P

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Site Administrator

@Comicality Believe it or not, I used to hang out with stoner geeks (they existed in the same sphere in the 90s) that played it, lol. I've never been into games though. Video games make me sick and I'd rather be reading a story than anything else. My hubby got our son into the game. He used to play in Friday evening tournaments that were like 4 hours so that meant Mom got to go instead because I could work at the comic book shop for all that time and Dad just slowly went insane. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Never? Because video games at the ULTIMATE in story telling! Hehehe! The reason that most video game based movies suck is because they can't condense the meaning and depth into such a short time frame. But if you watch and absorb it all...video games and RPGs are the most immersive forms of storytelling there is. Even with 'Magic' cards. :P

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator
10 hours ago, Comicality said:

video games and RPGs

Oh Yeah!  Dragon Age and Mass Effect come to mind.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Comicality said:

video games and RPGs

1 hour ago, Myr said:

Oh Yeah!  Dragon Age and Mass Effect come to mind.

Not to mention, the MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic. Notice how all these are BioWare productions.

Authors can take a page from the way Video Games, and RPGs, help in the creative Storytelling process. YouTube is loaded with Dungeons and Dragons Players and DMs sharing their ideas, creations, and in a lot of cases recordings of their hours-long Gaming Sessions. Not to mention the tons of Worldbuilding guides, artwork, for all the different systems out there.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
3 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Star Wars: The Old Republic. Notice how all these are BioWare

I just got SWTOR working again on my PC.  Some update went pear-shaped and I couldn't get the game to start.

And Bioware was my favorite gaming company while it was still run by its founders.  It's slid a LOT since EA took over.  I haven't given up completely on them, but I'm weary.  Especially after the buggy and choppy story Mass Effect: Andromeda. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Myr said:

I just got SWTOR working again on my PC.

I solidly blame EA, and their lack of outlook if it's a game not dedicated to sports. (Not saying all Non-Sports EA Games are bad, but enough.)

That update did the same to me, and I haven't reinstalled yet.

• Site Administrator

I love the backstory but I have some serious motion sickness issues. Video games tend to make me dizzy and sick, watching or playing. I did some education ones, and I was actually pretty good at Wii Zelda if I took dramamine first. I do enjoy the world-building, though. Look at how Assassin's Creed became books and movies. The same for Mass Effect. I'm sure there are a ton of others you guys can point out too. It's all in how you enjoy immersing yourself in the worlds/plots authors create. I'm very much a reader because I read very fast and I see the story as a visual in my head, not words on the page/screen. 

The story just has to be creative and good. I suppose, whatever method the storytelling takes, that's the vital aspect. The writing can't get in the way of the story itself. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1