Page's Prompt #1 - Word List

Interesting. :)  But I have to say the first thing that came to mind when I read it was how constricting it was. Location, time of year,  the surrounding geography - all predetermined. And looking back again, there are 9 things, all quite 'large' in story terms. If I was to write a short prompt response using them , I would almost have a feeling of joining the dots. If you have a look at Comicfan's word lists, they have five or six items, all quite small in their individual impact. It allows the author much more freedom and creativity to include the items as they choose. Going back to your list,  the final 4 would be enough, perhaps with something else small thrown in.

• Like 2

:)  That's certainly a lot better. I still have a feeling though, that you have some inkling of an internal story of your own when you selected the words. What I didn't say before, is that each of Comicfan's words is carefully, artfully selected to have no relation to the others in any one given list. 

I haven't tried doing one, but I imagine it's a lot harder than it looks. Take time to have a look at some of his before coming up with your second challenge.  :) 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, northie said:

:)  That's certainly a lot better. I still have a feeling though, that you have some inkling of an internal story of your own when you selected the words. What I didn't say before, is that each of Comicfan's words is carefully, artfully selected to have no relation to the others in any one given list. 

I haven't tried doing one, but I imagine it's a lot harder than it looks. Take time to have a look at some of his before coming up with your second challenge.  :) 

Ahhh, I see. :yes: So, the list should be more random.

Edited by Page Scrawler
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 6:56 PM, Page Scrawler said:

Use these words to tell a story: beach trip, coastal road, lighthouse, ice cream, a boy.

What I could write...thinking of a trip to Maine as a 18 year old...going to my parents summer cottage before they sold it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It was fun... Loved the cottage, but my parents retired to Florida and they decided to sell it. The lake it was on was wonderful with coves for skinny-dipping with my friends. The islands were used for camping with my friends. Great place...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I actually dig the more tightly-knit themed word groups. Puts your mind in a certain frame. There's a certain draw to working within constraints.

The others are a little too random for me, so if you're afraid you don't have an audience? I think I can work more with this style.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..