Images as inspiration?

Myr

• Site Administrator

I have always used various maps, drawings or pictures to inspire me when I'm writing.  I was playing around more with the site's Pinterest Account and it occurred to me what a wonderful tool Pinterest can be for inspiration. 

Have you folks used Pinterest much?

Our site Pinterest is here: https://www.pinterest.com/gayauthors/

• Like 4

That it is. No lie. I went looking for a pic, just one, for armor for my DnD character. Three hours later, I had over 200 pics saved to Pinterest, and about a quarter of that, downloaded.

• Love 1

I love using a picture to create a story. We used a few for prompts, but decided it was in not in the best interest of the site to keep using them. However, I've never been to pinterest mainly because everyone I know who uses it seems to lose hours on it. I have enough distractions without deliberately looking for more.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, comicfan said:

However, I've never been to pinterest mainly because everyone I know who uses it seems to lose hours on it. I have enough distractions without deliberately looking for more.

Facebook, Tumblr, etc and so forth. 

Sometimes I'll go looking for a certain kind of image.  I don't remember what I typed in but it was how I found the profile picture of used all these years. And internet find but it actually resembles one of my characters even if I'm the only one that has ever read what he's in. 

I'm terrible at describing faces, so I've started playing with the idea of finding pictures that fit my idea of a character or building characters that fit my in my Impressions off of a picture. I'm still waiting to use the test cases in their particular chapters. 

Edited by VampireMystic
forgot to include cards on the table by headstall thread in chat on the list of distractions that cost you hours
  • Like 3

I really like Pinterest, especially when I'm thinking about what design I should make a weapon or setting for my science fiction story called Hero Wanted.  I usually get inspiration from other people's art like anime and the site overall inspires my art as well.  Also, to veer off topic a little, I also use a storytelling card game called Once Upon a Time to help my imagination involving magic and fantasy by randomly selecting five story cards and one ending card that I incorporate into my stories.  The art on the cards are fantastic, all created by an artist who also worked on the art of Magic: The Gathering.  I'm also considering using the board game called Dead of Winter to inspire a post-apocalyptic story by creating custom characters to use in the game.  I already have the base game and the two expansions, so I have a lot to work with.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..