Any Sci-Fi stories in the pipeline?

• Site Administrator

Does anyone have any sci-fi stories they are working on or doodling with currently?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I got one I'm working on, and posted a sneak peek of it in the Writer's Club.

It's outside my confort zone, as it's being written in 1st person PoV, so it's taking a bit longer than normal. Also, I want to post it, after I finish it. I got too many on-going serial stories in my opinion.

Here's the Linkage:

• Like 5
  • 5 weeks later...

I’m currently working—rewording, rehashing ideas, researching and otherwise dwelling—on a story having to do with quantum space/physics. I have the overall outline of the story. I believe there is a way of bending the science well enough to be in line with current thinking on the subject, yet at the same time be outside of the box; good science fiction often is. No promises on a timeline for release, this may take some time to finish. Or not, as it might turn out.

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, Ron said:

Good fortune to anyone writing science fiction @Caz Pedroso, @BHopper2 because, as I’ve come to realize, it’s really very hard work.

To you as well. I agree that writing SciFi is hard, but also, the audience is small as well. I've come to learn that my SciFi stories, while people like them, there's not many that read them; compared to some of my other works, like a contemporary drama.

• Like 5
On 4/9/2018 at 6:38 PM, BHopper2 said:

To you as well. I agree that writing SciFi is hard, but also, the audience is small as well. I've come to learn that my SciFi stories, while people like them, there's not many that read them; compared to some of my other works, like a contemporary drama.

Thank you.

You’re right, the audience for Sci-fi stories is a much smaller group than that of drama, and yet there’s room for both the SyFy and Lifetime channels on cable tv. Why? Because even though science fiction has a smaller audience than those that read and watch dramas, the audience for Sci-fi is pretty hardcore faithful to the genre.

That’s both good and bad. With television we get a plethora of shoddy, made-for-tv Sci-fi movies that can be found practically everywhere you want to watch. If we don’t like what’s showing we switch the channel. But the odds of a poorly written/researched Sci-fi story/book getting much attention is not good. We readers of the genre are faithful but we have to invest time, usually spend money on a purchase with a book and we are also picky about the details of the science, for good reason. Many people don’t want to sweat the details overmuch and a drama can fit that bill more easily, never mind that what makes for good science fiction is drama, too—just with all that science stuff.

Life is drama, all the rest is details.

edit: I tried to remove that odd break in the paragraph but I was unable to get rid of it.

Edited by Ron
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator

I do have a Sci-Fi short story for one of the upcoming Anthologies.  I need to get cracking on finishing it, but my life has been upside down lately. lol.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

I have one I've been hoarding... I'm thinking about maybe getting someone to look at the tech in it soon because that is my weakest point... so um... hey!

Edited by Lugh
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Book 2 of 0's and 1's will be coming this year, it's speculative near future fiction with some far future concepts around technology, humanity's interactions with one another through technology, the issue of perspective and bias, the obscuring of truth spread by human interaction with technology, and ultimately a major change in the future for man and machine..

Book 1 seems pretty straight forward at first, but it leaves a lot of questions as you keep reading, I wrote it with both direction and misdirection in mind for people used to reading LGBT fiction. I also began world building by adding in elements that will appear in Book 2, there's connected stories in my mthos like "Last Run to Mosul", which takes place in the same universe and is plot thread for the main story.

I'll just say this about my story's villain, like some interpretation of the Devil, the villain never personally acts or commands actions, the villain offers you an illusion of choice and truth, but if you pick what he gives you, then you will forever be his plaything.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • Site Administrator
On 4/10/2018 at 8:27 PM, Myr said:

I do have a Sci-Fi short story for one of the upcoming Anthologies.  I need to get cracking on finishing it, but my life has been upside down lately. lol.

And I have draft 1 wrapped up for Good Intentions.  WET and Aegis return!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...