1 minute ago, Reader1810 said:

So, did you like the book? I saw the original movie, but not the sequel (s?).

i loved the book .. when i saw the movie.. well i called Spielberg a rather nasty name for selling out.

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

i loved the book .. when i saw the movie.. well i called Spielberg a rather nasty name for selling out.

Good to know.  I may add it to my ever growing To Read list. A movie that disappointed me was Marley and Me. Really important things from the book that would have made the movie shine didn’t get portrayed as they did in the book. Don’t know why the makers of the movie couldn’t see that. *smh*

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

@Mikiesboy Looked for the book in Amazon. I don’t know if I knew Michael Crichton was the author or not, but it explains why the book is so good - excellent author he is. 

yes he was the author .. he was a good writer. i've read a lot of  his stuff

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
7 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

Crichton's stuff was always scarier written, "Andromeda Strain" "Jurassic Park" "Congo."

i wonder if it goes back to our imaginations being able to run amok when we read, rather than seeing the filmmaker's vision

That could be. Our imagination is limitless, whereas what we see on screen is it. 

Course, there was that Native doll with a spear that came alive on screen and was jabbing it’s spear under the door trying to get at the heroine. She managed to trap it in a suitcase, but when it started sawing it’s way out, she had to stick it in the oven on high. That finally did it in, but it sure gave me the willies watching all this happen. I was just a kid at the time, so maybe I shouldn’t have watched such things... lol.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
21 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

You can read  Brokeback Mountain here: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1997/10/13/brokeback-mountain     

The author is Annie Proulx, she writes about the west...

Why she is unhappy after the film was made is here: http://time.com/3648650/brokeback-mountain-annie-proulx/

It's a great story .. awful, sad and wonderful .. heartbreaking. ... These men are not the men from the movie all gorgeous and handsome.. I couldnt watch the film after reading it.

Thank you for the links. I'd never have guessed that the film had such an effect , it might be because there are so few gay films with happy endings. Nevertheless it's a pity for this excellent story that so many people think they know how the author could have written a better ending...

I liked both, to be honest; might be because I saw the film first and per se it's a good one. I like Proulx' style, too, because it's very clear and concise.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Kitt said:

I've found seeing the movie first then going back to read the book works better than the other way around.  They tried so hard with LOTR but I kept pointing out where they didn't follow the book, where they embellished, where they just plain missed something important. :P Got me in deep water with the hubby!

This is an interesting point of view! Normally poeple think it's better to know the literary model because they can compare but as it's usually more intense and more detailed than the film, it can also be a possibility to gradually dive deeper :read:  (wow, I like this emoji; I just have to include it).

• Like 3
  • Love 1

tim, just want to say thanks for gifting us with this story. I'm impressed with your ability to create these short gems that capture both a reader's imagination and his/her empathy towards characters and plots. Whether or not you write a sequel is up to you. I'm happy with the ending of this one. Mac

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Zenobia said:

Thank you for the links. I'd never have guessed that the film had such an effect , it might be because there are so few gay films with happy endings. Nevertheless it's a pity for this excellent story that so many people think they know how the author could have written a better ending...

I liked both, to be honest; might be because I saw the film first and per se it's a good one. I like Proulx' style, too, because it's very clear and concise.

Yeah .. we get that here the odd time from readers but not too often. It would bother me as it did her. It is her story, her voice. We all want happily ever after ... but it just isnt real to expect that all the time.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, MacGreg said:

tim, just want to say thanks for gifting us with this story. I'm impressed with your ability to create these short gems that capture both a reader's imagination and his/her empathy towards characters and plots. Whether or not you write a sequel is up to you. I'm happy with the ending of this one. Mac

Thank You Sir! I'm glad the end was satisfactory. Ends are a big deal to me. I've seen so many programs that were brilliant only to be let down at the end ... i want to make mine satisfactory.. like Finn's love of certain sounds. I love you picked up on that, Sir!  :)   Thanks again for reading The Promise and for all of your excellent comments, Sir.

• Like 2
  • Love 2