Hello, I just wanted to ask if any of you, as authors, are perfectionists when it comes to writing your stories?  For example, do you have to have certain characters’ names match in a way, like length or number of syllables?  I have this struggle where I need certain things to have an equivalent, like names of characters, places, etc.  It’s very evident in my stories I posted here.  I want to get out of this since I want my writing to be more organic, if that makes senses and would love to know your input on this.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

I don’t think this is unique, or really a negative. Most creative people I know are perfectionists to a degree. The names may be a little ocd... I have quirks like that. Again, not a negative. You are being you. Your process is organic, in your own style.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

I would say I'm a perfectionist when it comes to spelling and grammar.  I hate seeing errors in my work and sometimes I get bogged down in writing, then re-writing the same paragraph until I feel it's perfect.  I have to remind myself occasionally to knock it off and just write and fix anything that needs it during the revision process.  As far as names, I tend to give a lot of thought into the names I use and select them based on elements in the story.  For example, in "Faeries Anonymous", the main character's name is Alvin, which means "Elf friend" and Dr. Schmetterling's name is German for "butterfly". 

I wish I was that kind of perfectionist when it comes to grammar haha.  And I give a character a certain name because it has a specific meaning behind it as well.  For example, the main character of my story Charming is named Lucian, which means "light" and the main antagonist is named Lilith, which means "night."  You can guess why.  I just like giving hidden meanings to the names of my characters that my readers can discover on their own.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Timothy M. said:

I'm perfectionist when it comes to spelling and grammar. But I've never done the name thing you mention. On the other hand I love alliteration and will often give my chapter and stories titles which use this: eg Clueless Camping.

Why do you worry about having this quirk ? I don't see anything wrong with doing what you describe, and if your readers know they might have fun spotting examples. :) 

Yeah, I'm doing that as well with my story called Charming since I'll be separating it into three parts with the second and final part having something like "cursed" and "chosen" in the titles.  And I never considered my perfectionism as a quirk before.  It definitely puts it in a different and more positive light than thinking it's like OCD, so thank you 😀  I guess it's just because I have to do a lot of searching online to find words and names that look similar to one another that it could wear down on me, but I guess it's worth it if my readers catch those details in my writing.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, BlindAmbition said:

I don’t think this is unique, or really a negative. Most creative people I know are perfectionists to a degree. The names may be a little ocd... I have quirks like that. Again, not a negative. You are being you. Your process is organic, in your own style.

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only person who has this, and calling it a quirk definitely makes it sound more positive as well as being my own style.  What quirks do you have if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

I don't obsess over names and places, but I obsess (to a fault) over spelling, grammar, and how the story flows. I have a problem with using the same word twice in a paragraph (aside from conjunctions). Like Val, I read and reread sections to ensure the flow is to my satisfaction. Sometimes, I have to deliberately step away in order to retain my sanity. 

The way I see it, writers all have their own processes and quirks. Without them, stories would be mundane and lack individual flavor. Keep doing what you're doing if it works for you. 

I have the same issue when using the same word twice in the same sentence haha.  And all of you calling it a quirk rather than something negative definitely uplifts me and makes me want to continue what I'm doing right now.  Maybe not as obsessive though 😅

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, Superpride said:

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only person who has this, and calling it a quirk definitely makes it sound more positive as well as being my own style.  What quirks do you have if you don't mind me asking?

I started writing as therapy when I was a teen. I overthink everything I write and have a hard time letting it go. I have many unfinished things due to this. I’ve posted my poetry, but not sure if I’ll ever post one of my stories. Such a vulnerable piece of me. So, we all have our quirks. I just accept that is why I’m me. ☺️

• Like 3
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

I started writing as therapy when I was a teen. I overthink everything I write and have a hard time letting it go. I have many unfinished things due to this. I’ve posted my poetry, but not sure if I’ll ever post one of my stories. Such a vulnerable piece of me. So, we all have our quirks. I just accept that is why I’m me. ☺️

I completely understand.  Writing really helped me when I was going through a rough time during my senior year in high school.  Without it I don't think I would be where I'm at right now, which is posting my stories online and going to college as well.  And for me, I write what I believe is good or at least decent and post it here, hoping for the best and that I will get input on how to improve my writing.  Thank you very much for sharing 😊

Edited by Superpride
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

you have stories unshared?!

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

you have stories unshared?!

Yes Sir. There are some walls harder for me to take down. Maybe one day I’ll be able to take that one down. My poetry offers just a moment, whereas my stories hold a much bigger piece of me.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Yes Sir. There are some walls harder for me to take down. Maybe one day I’ll be able to take that one down. My poetry offers just a moment, whereas my stories hold a much bigger piece of me.

Maybe someday, when you're ready. We'll enjoying reading them.

• Love 2