On 6/13/2018 at 2:23 PM, Carlos Hazday said:

I've been toying with the idea of writing a children's book. 

I'm late to this conversation - been too busy. I think you're more writing a book from a child's point of view, rather than something to be read by a child? Either way, it would be something different, very different, from what's usually posted here. :)

I don't know about you, but I think I'd find it hard work making sure the story continued to read like the world seen and reacted to like a child. Good luck, Carlos. I'm sure it will find favour with me and a lot of other people.  :yes:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Does the yellow background look like a D for Defiance to anyone else? :P

Works for me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Site Moderator
14 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Does the yellow background look like a D for Defiance to anyone else? :P

My getaway vehicle, CJ was kind enough to let me borrow. ;)

Edited by Reader1810
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, mastershakeme said:

So, I read this to my little girl! 

Yes! That's exactly what I want. Parents to read my story to their kids.

The girl having two fathers is my nod at current realities but the story will NOT have any sort of sexual connotations. Not even a hint. And like I said, I want it to be fun and educational. Defiance already suggested I change white puppy with black spots to Dalmatian puppy since it would encourage a child to ask what a Dalmatian is and start a conversation. See why I'm paying her the big bucks? (Or is that the big wine bottles?) LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Yes! That's exactly what I want. Parents to read my story to their kids.

The girl having two fathers is my nod at current realities but the story will NOT have any sort of sexual connotations. Not even a hint. And like I said, I want it to be fun and educational. Defiance already suggested I change white puppy with black spots to Dalmatian puppy since it would encourage a child to ask what a Dalmatian is and start a conversation. See why I'm paying her the big bucks? (Or is that the big wine bottles?) LOL

It is a good switch... Dalmatians and firemen go together perfectly. 

• Like 3

I think this is a great idea Carlos. Reading some of the comments above, it's clear that you've taken us by surprise. Some didn't quite know what to think. It's a brave decision but I know you can pull it off and I'm sure you will have the backing and support of all the serious readers on the site. Not to mention the staff. Adding diversity like this can only be good for everyone. I think it would appeal to a lot of people and not just parents and children. I will definitely read it and I know I will enjoy it. Hats off to you.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2

i think it would be read happily by many.  my fairy tale was .. why not this.. go for it.. write what you feel is right. 

• Love 4
  • 6 months later...
  • Site Moderator
On 6/16/2018 at 8:04 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

@northie

I envision a story that can be read to a child and be understood by them. This one I plan to revolve around an environmental theme and how even a 5-year-old can take action to protect our oceans.

Sounds good to me, and I look forward to reading it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Reader1810 said:

Sounds good to me, and I look forward to reading it. 

Now that I'm done writing CJ, I will be working on this project. Like most readers aimed at 6-year-olds, it will be a very short story. I hope to finish it sometime this week. Of course, that depends on how much editing/beta reading I have to do. Funny you commented on this, I pulled up my initial fragment early this morning and started revisions. Thinking along the same lines again, my friend.

• Love 2
  • 6 months later...

I can't believe I posted this a year ago!

The story's written, edited, and loaded. It'll go live mid-August. The time to get a story ready is so damn long when you try to get it right. I think it'll be worth it. I like it so much, I have a couple more in the plans. Haven't started writing them, but I hope they'll be ready a heck of a lot faster than this one.

Story related ideas often come to me while riding the motorcycle. Something about the engine noise and vibration puts me into the right frame of mind. Earlier today, the thoughts were for a story I have on my potential list but won't even look at writing until sometime late next year. Of course, I returned home and had to jot down everything which lead to about an hour of preliminary outlining. And it all revolves around Will Bender and his neighbor Mrs. Griffon aka Animal Lady. LOL All that came to me while riding!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spoiler!

Here's the first section of the story.

Spoiler

Liebe enjoyed living in the Florida Keys. It was always warm, and the ocean was all around her. She was in kindergarten, was learning her letters and numbers, and loved going to school. She could not wait until she was able to read by herself. She also liked eating lunch and playing with the friends she had made since starting classes.

Most afternoons, one of the neighbors down the street picked her up, and Liebe spent time at their house until one of her fathers came to get her. Papi was a firefighter. He worked putting out fires and helping people when they were in accidents. Daddy was a fisherman who also taught people how to scuba dive.

Sometimes, one of her dads would be waiting for her when her day ended. That happened when they finished work early or did not have to work at all. She was always happy to see one of them sitting in their truck in front of the school.

When she heard the teacher standing outside the door say, “Hi, Pete,” she knew Papi was there to pick her up. Although everyone called him Pete, Papi’s name was really Pedro.

“Papi!” Liebe dropped her backpack on the floor and raised her arms so her father could lift her. When he did, she wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a kiss.

“Hey, Munchkin. Ready to go? Your other dad should be home when we get there.”

“I’m ready. I can’t wait to see Daddy and Spot.”

Illustration
A dark-haired man wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops holds a blonde girl with a school building in the background.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Spoiler!

Here's the first section of the story.

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Liebe enjoyed living in the Florida Keys. It was always warm, and the ocean was all around her. She was in kindergarten, was learning her letters and numbers, and loved going to school. She could not wait until she was able to read by herself. She also liked eating lunch and playing with the friends she had made since starting classes.

Most afternoons, one of the neighbors down the street picked her up, and Liebe spent time at their house until one of her fathers came to get her. Papi was a firefighter. He worked putting out fires and helping people when they were in accidents. Daddy was a fisherman who also taught people how to scuba dive.

Sometimes, one of her dads would be waiting for her when her day ended. That happened when they finished work early or did not have to work at all. She was always happy to see one of them sitting in their truck in front of the school.

When she heard the teacher standing outside the door say, “Hi, Pete,” she knew Papi was there to pick her up. Although everyone called him Pete, Papi’s name was really Pedro.

“Papi!” Liebe dropped her backpack on the floor and raised her arms so her father could lift her. When he did, she wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a kiss.

“Hey, Munchkin. Ready to go? Your other dad should be home when we get there.”

“I’m ready. I can’t wait to see Daddy and Spot.”

Illustration
A dark-haired man wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops holds a blonde girl with a school building in the background.

That's enough of a teaser to make me want to read more. Looking forward to the story.

Hope your keeping safe.

• Love 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Coming a week from today, on Earth Day 2021, the third installment in the series. Liebe and her fathers, Tag and Pete, still live in the Florida Keys with the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean as bookends to their home. In this episode, Liebe learns about sea turtles and the dangers the species faces.

Spoiler

“Wake up, baby. Daddy and I have a surprise for you.” The father gently shook his daughter’s shoulder.

Liebe slowly came alert. She brushed blonde bangs off her face, stretched, and stared at her father. “Morning, Papi. What kind of surprise?”

“Do you remember our friend, Jo? The lady who runs the Sea Turtle Center? She texted us this morning. A lot of turtles are coming on the beach to lay eggs. Wanna go see ’em?”

“Yesss!” Liebe was instantly alert. The mention of nesting sea turtles sufficiently appealing to have her get out of bed early on a Saturday morning.

The girl lived in the Florida Keys with her two fathers. She liked being surrounded by water, and loved the sea creatures they often encountered while boating.

One of her fathers, TaggartTag to everybodywas a charter captain. He took tourists out on his boat to deep sea fish or scuba dive around the reefs. The other one, Pedroeveryone called him Pete except for Liebe’s grandmotherwas a firefighter.

“Okay, then. Let’s get ready. Put on a bathing suit under your shorts and t-shirt in case we end up going in the water. Tag’s getting the boat ready, and we’ll leave after you eat breakfast.”

“Okay, Papi. I’ll rush. I don’t want to miss the turtles.”

Illustration

A young girl with messy blond hair lays in bed, staring at a bearded man. Her bright blue eyes wide open and her face showing excitement.

• Love 2
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kitt said:

Really? You are gonna tease them a year in advance?

Hey! Just marketing here. The ongoing forum discussion about encouraging readers to react inspired me.

Didn't the James Bond movies announce the next installment at the end? Even though the new one could have been a couple of years in the future.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Coming to GA on Earth Day 2022...

image.thumb.jpeg.d0012cbbdae38868ca36681fafa51a36.jpeg

Spoiler

“Good afternoon.” Liebe, standing in front of her classroom, pointed at the blond man sitting on the desk by her. “This is my dad. His name’s Taggart, but everyone calls him Tag. He’s going to help me with the picture show.”

Tag was not the only parent in the room. He waved at those he knew and at all the children, before tapping a key on his laptop, and making the television in the corner of the room come alive. The image displayed was of a colorful underwater scene with Coral Castles superimposed at the top.

“My report’s on coral reefs and how they’re in trouble even though they do a lot of good things for us.” Liebe had chosen the topic for her school year-end science class presentation.

“The Florida Barrier Reef is really, really long. It starts in the Dry Tortugas and runs all the way to Miami.” She did not need to describe either location; every kid growing up in the Florida Keys was familiar with the cluster of small islands found some seventy miles west of Key West, at the southern tip of the archipelago, and the big city to their north.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Carlos Hazday said:

Coming to GA on Earth Day 2022...

image.thumb.jpeg.d0012cbbdae38868ca36681fafa51a36.jpeg

Hide contents

“Good afternoon.” Liebe, standing in front of her classroom, pointed at the blond man sitting on the desk by her. “This is my dad. His name’s Taggart, but everyone calls him Tag. He’s going to help me with the picture show.”

Tag was not the only parent in the room. He waved at those he knew and at all the children, before tapping a key on his laptop, and making the television in the corner of the room come alive. The image displayed was of a colorful underwater scene with Coral Castles superimposed at the top.

“My report’s on coral reefs and how they’re in trouble even though they do a lot of good things for us.” Liebe had chosen the topic for her school year-end science class presentation.

“The Florida Barrier Reef is really, really long. It starts in the Dry Tortugas and runs all the way to Miami.” She did not need to describe either location; every kid growing up in the Florida Keys was familiar with the cluster of small islands found some seventy miles west of Key West, at the southern tip of the archipelago, and the big city to their north.

:D 

• Like 1