Better Suport for FanFictions

• Site Administrator

What can we do with the software system to better support FanFiction authors?

I'm targetting Fandoms instead of sub-categories so that we can support crossovers.  Right now, the system does not allow for more than one category.

Therefore, I have to change to something that can allow that and not be considered a category as Invision defines it.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I've looked at the categories that we have now, and there are several not being used. Perhaps if we go with generic categories, such as Space, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Superhero, etc. and then have user created sub-categories which can be universally used. 

Example: I have a fanfic for the game EVE Online. Right now, it's sitting in the main category, FanFiction because we don't have an EVE Online category. If we did the Generic + User Created, It could look like this:

Top                  Generic   User

FanFiction -> Space -> EVE Online

Now, if other writers post an EVE Online Story, then they can use the Category I created.

This can be done for several too, like with Fantasy -> Harry Potter.  So on, and so forth.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I've started some preliminary work with the programmer to address these items:

• Fandom categories. (Currently sub-categories).  To allow for crossovers.
  • Applying character filters to the search.  (So you can find Harry/Draco Harry Potter Stories, for example)
  • Predefined disclaimers based on the category to help protect the author and the site on copyright issues with regards to proper credit on a FanFiction.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 2 months later...

I've thought a lot about categories as well, and if user defined fandoms are difficult to implement in the software, I was thinking it might be an idea to have categories based on medium. Video games, books, TV, movies, comics. I think that makes more sense as generic categories than setting, especially since we can tag a story with a setting such as space anyway. Say I want to find, I dunno, The Last of Us fanfic, I'd go to video games. 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 3