What Universe Would You Like To Write In?

Brayon

I've been sorely tempted to write a FanFic for Star Wars set in the Legends Era of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I started one based on Star Trek Online but stopped after Cryptic started sending C&D Letters to people using their IP for FanFics. Which is surprising, with the number of Role-Playing guilds that are on the PC version of STO, and the fact they have a Fully Kitted Starbase, and all the other Fleet holdings dedicated to Role-Play. And they write FanFics all the time.

I know Disney, is a bit more forgiving when it comes to FanFic.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I've been enjoying some odd crossovers lately.  There are some really good Game of Thrones/ Harry Potter crossovers out there.

I've dabbled in some short story HP crossovers, that I haven't shared.  Harry Potter/Mass Effect.  Harry Potter/Twilight.  Harry Potter/Marvel Cinematic Universe.  Harry Potter/Game of Thrones.  None of them will come to anything, except my own amusement though.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having fun playing around in the Witcher universe at the moment. Cause I can't believe Geralt isn't at least a little bit gay.

How does Harry Potter/Mass Effect work, @Myr? That one has me genuinely curious. Is it Shepard at Hogwarts or Harry in space?

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 3
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Harry in space?

Harry in space... as Master of Death.

• Like 2

...I literally just found a ME/HP crossover on AO3, @Myr. Funky space wizards. Male Shepard/Kaidan. Weird, but hot. :P 

EDIT: Yeah, no, the sex got too unrealistic. Sad, really.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator
26 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I literally just found a ME/HP crossover on AO3,

Sifshadowheart on AO3 is an exceptional writer.  She bounces over all sorts of crossovers.  She has solid, engaging writing.  I mean, she has a Harry Potter/Transformer story called Sparked by Design.  It's still in process.  Her muse bounces all over the place.

My favorite story by her though is Tomb of First Men.  It's a Harry Potter/Game of Thrones crossover.  https://archiveofourown.org/works/6857026/chapters/15651379

I also really like the Alex Rider world that Anthony Horowitz created.  And I love the Valdemar world that Mercedes Lackey created. @dkstories fanfiction Tests of Blood is a favorite that really inhabits that world:

I have some draft things written there that will probably come out some day.

• Love 2
On 10/24/2018 at 1:55 AM, BHopper2 said:

I've been sorely tempted to write a FanFic for Star Wars set in the Legends Era of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I started one based on Star Trek Online but stopped after Cryptic started sending C&D Letters to people using their IP for FanFics. Which is surprising, with the number of Role-Playing guilds that are on the PC version of STO, and the fact they have a Fully Kitted Starbase, and all the other Fleet holdings dedicated to Role-Play. And they write FanFics all the time.

I am quite surprised to hear that these guys don't allow fanfiction ... Even on FF.net, I know there is a pretty short list of authors who don't like the idea of others playing around with their characters. Most are cool with it. It is, after all, free publicity. I know for sure that I watched or read certain anime/manga series after I got in contact with some quite active fandoms. But I guess that, when you're this big, you don't really care (I suppose).

In my experience as a fanfic writer, I haven't encountered this problem, but it is true that my interest is placed on Japanese, Korean, and Chinese web comics, manga, anime ... And in Japan, and not only, fandoms have taken for a lot of time, a life of their own. Doujinshi - which is a pretty vague term, but does incorporate fandom works, be it in writing, drawing, manga format - is sort of a market in Japan, meaning that amateurs who gain traction for their fandom works can even sell copies for a small profit. Of course, the number of copies is limited, and the selling part happens at conventions and other events. But still, that's like light years away from what happens in the Western world.

Although, I know that at some point, Amazon wanted to make this a profitable venue, with something that was called Kindle Worlds, if I recall correctly. But making a profit from such derivative works must have been a veritable can of worms because they closed it (and guess that never got really lifted off the ground, as a project). 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Laura S. Fox said:

I am quite surprised to hear that these guys don't allow fanfiction ... Even on FF.net, I know there is a pretty short list of authors who don't like the idea of others playing around with their characters. Most are cool with it. It is, after all, free publicity. I know for sure that I watched or read certain anime/manga series after I got in contact with some quite active fandoms. But I guess that, when you're this big, you don't really care (I suppose)

I looked into the C&D letters, and it turns out the people that they were sent too, were self-publishing the stories with cover art taken from the game and selling it for $0.99 a pop.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I looked into the C&D letters, and it turns out the people that they were sent too, were self-publishing the stories with cover art taken from the game and selling it for $0.99 a pop.

Oh, that changes things. Since making a profit enters any work in a different sort of world (dominated by well crafted legalese).

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be weird if a Star Trek franchise banned fan fiction, given that the first prominent slashfic was literally Kirk/Spock. 

• Like 1

I like writing in, Dragon Age: Origins.

I would like to do Harry Potter, but I'd need to re-read the whole series again (there are worse things in the world for sure.. lol). 

Twilight - but I'd have to again, re-read the series and that one would be a bit more difficult because I found so much that I didn't really like about the story progression later in the book series. 

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

I think writing in the 40k verse would be interesting. It's so expansive and flexible that you can basically do what you want with it so long as you don't go near the central canon of it. I've had a story bouncing around in my head about a newbie commissar and an initiate Space Marine from a chapter that got destroyed before he could complete the conversion process. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had a thought or two about writing fan fiction. No more than that. I'll never forgive those sparkly damned vampires for naming their shit "Twilight" and forcing me to rename one of my best stories.

If I did write fan-fic, I would write in David Weber's Honorverse ( https://honorverse.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page )

It's a big, meaty universe Weber created for his Honor Harrington series of books he just completed. We think. AT twenty-something books, there's always room for more.

I'm less drawn to play on other writers imaginary playgrounds and, more interested in building my own. It's a LOT of work. Try naming planets. Then names its geographic features. Then cities, towns, etc. How long has it been settled? Who lives there? There is always politics and is there a notable history to the place? You can easily get lost in the effort but, if you look at authors that have successfully managed to figure out the right balance of world building and writing, the proof is in the pudding.

One of the most successful world builders ever was JRR Tolkien. His Middle Earth was complete with history, geography, languages and even mythology.

I'm not dissing fan-fiction. It's just not something I want to do. Use it to learn the craft and then, build your own worlds.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 3/7/2021 at 2:15 PM, jamessavik said:

If I did write fan-fic, I would write in David Weber's Honorverse ( https://honorverse.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page )

It's a big, meaty universe Weber created for his Honor Harrington series of books he just completed. We think. AT twenty-something books, there's always room for more.

It's beginning to look as though the story will never be completed, because Weber has too many irons in the fire, so there are plenty of opportunities to propose endings we'd like to see.  Not only that, but his characters tend to be resolutely heterosexual, and it would be really nice to fix that.  I had hoped at one point to see Alistair McKeown and Tomás Ramírez get it on, but it was not to be.

• Haha 1
On 10/24/2018 at 1:55 AM, Brayon said:

I started one based on Star Trek Online but stopped after Cryptic started sending C&D Letters to people using their IP for FanFics. Which is surprising, with the number of Role-Playing guilds that are on the PC version of STO, and the fact they have a Fully Kitted Starbase, and all the other Fleet holdings dedicated to Role-Play. And they write FanFics all the time. I heard that for the written script Disney use https://gradesfixer.com/essay-title-generator/ a special resource for students.

As far as I know. Disney even welcomes fanfic.

Edited by darel aranovski

My favorite Sci-Fi universe, if I were to write a fanfic, would be Expanse Series

The show opened me to the books and I enjoy it. The characters are set in a realistic 24th century, kind of the counterpoint to Star Trek. The concept is intrastellar within our solar system, not interstellar with humans being factional, and the aliens who can travel between stars are so far beyond us, it's laughable that we try to interpret their technology.

As the character of James Holden said in the books when talking about the advanced proto-molecule, a cool piece of living tech, Humans are like apes playing with a microwave, we can see how it works and want to be able to heat our foods in the magic box, but our minds are too simple, knowledge of tools too basic, and behavior too primal to comprehend circuitry or the concept of radiation.

Plus the universe is already sexually fluid, poly relationship have been around for centuries so same sex/mix gender/non-linear family units are common; strong bisexual characters like Drummer sells me on the idea even further (there's something about a strong bi/lesbian female character with masculine traits since the days of Babylon 5 Susan Ivanova that is fun to see). The intra-personal stories are just as fun as the grand space opera of human factions fighting for resources or the universal opera of advanced alien civilizations with aims/goals so far beyond our comprehension, it is both inspiring and terrifying to think of how small we truly are.

• 3 weeks later...

Growing up, there has been one universe that has stood out among the rest. I would absolutely love to tackle a journey in the Pokemon world! My fingers are begging for the challenge. Imagine writing a description for a Grimer, or suspense of an Electrode rolling towards you with its cheeky grin! I think I'll add this to my growing "to-do list."

I started a Star Trek one, but I've too many ideas in my head and it's fallen to the wayside. I do seem to recall reading an HP fanfic by @Myr and I'm wondering if it's time to start bugging him about that again...:-)

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

@Dabeagle, I do need to work more on that and finally finish it.  It's been in my head a lot lately.  I need to wrap up that chapter of my life, so to speak, and move on to new and better things... like Harry Potter Crossovers. lol

Actually, after I complete HP POD, I will likely stick to posting only my original stuff.  But I DO plan to finish it. finally.

• Love 1
  • Similar Content

• By Myr
      What can we do with the software system to better support FanFiction authors?
      I'm targetting Fandoms instead of sub-categories so that we can support crossovers.  Right now, the system does not allow for more than one category.
      Therefore, I have to change to something that can allow that and not be considered a category as Invision defines it.

Thoughts?
    • By Thorn Wilde
      I despise the whole OmegaVerse thing. Every single time I'm browsing a ship I like, like 50% of what I find has this Alpha/Beta/Omega AU going on, and I just don't get the appeal. It's super annoying.

Context: OmegaVerse is a fan fiction trope where people are born as either alphas, betas, or omegas. Alphas are high status, betas are subservient, and omegas are basically sex slaves most of the time. There's this whole wolf thing going on where they basically scent mark each other and use pheromones to attract one another and there are like heat cycles, and it's just a mess of mixed lore, most of which makes no sense. Oh, and in many of these stories, omega boys can be impregnated via anal sex. Which is my second most hated trope: male pregnancy. Especially when it's for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

So, which trope can you not stand?
    • By MrM
      A Long Time Ago In A Movie Theater Far Far Away . . .
      I was introduced to Star Wars for the first time.
      I was seven years old, the perfect age for George Lucas’ masterpiece. It was like he’d written it just for me. Even at that tender age I was already a Sci-Fi nut. My favorite shows at the time were Lost In Space reruns, Space 1999 (a story that could really do with its own motion picture), Dr. Who, and, of course, Star Trek: TOS.

I was too young to understand a lot of stuff going on, but I loved the action and I loved the adventure and ESPECIALLY the special effects! Space 1999, for instance, was WAY ahead of its time! If you’ve never seen this TV Series I really encourage you to check it out. The stories, sets, and effects were what George Lucas’ crew founded some of their ideas on along with 2001: A Space Odyssey.
      The scene below, seen by me in 70 MM film on a huge concave Cinemascope screen the width of half a football field with the new Dolby Stereo sound system in the single auditorium theater  (these are rare and probably don’t exist anymore), was life changing! None of us had every seen anything like this before in 1977!  I was literally ducking in my seat as the ISS Devastator flew over chasing Princess Leia’s Tantive IV Corellian Blockade Runner.

It was with Star Wars that I was introduced to the concept of the Force for the first time and who the Jedi were and how one had fallen to the ‘Dark Side of the Force.’ An awesome and fearful being, Darth Vader, came out of the smoke and, although I was already stunned by the Star Destroyer scene, I was suddenly in LOVE with its terrible commander! I would have been happy to have been his beaten up Apprentice if he had found me worthy. Galen Merrick wouldn’t have even had a chance!

When it came to the lightsaber duel, though, I got a little bored. Even Obi-Wan getting ‘Force Ghosted’ was just a little shocking. I enjoyed the lightsabers, but the scene did not match the excitement of Luke, Han, Chewy, and Leia trying to make their escape.  The aggrieved final meeting of Master and Padawan couldn’t have the impact it should have had later when we learned the full tragic story of Anakin Skywalker and his strained relationship with his Jedi Master teacher, Obi-Wan Kenobi. But, the history aside, the scene itself fell a bit flat because the effects weren’t there. Trying to pull off a rotoscoped laser sword battle with two GLASS reflective tubes was not easy and both actors and stunt doubles doing the fight had to actually be careful not to break the lightsabers! So, the fight was gently done, but effective enough for the story.

Washed out colors were so the rotoscoping could work.
      So, why am I giving you all this build up and history? Well one reason, of course, is that I am so much a GIGANTIC Star Wars nerd that I actually am a knighted Sith Lord with my own ‘Darth’ name and have been one for many years. I can be referred to as Darth Umbrus if you are found trustworthy enough to address me by my secret name. I have a robe and i’m working on an upgraded lightsaber I intend to build at Star Wars Galaxy Edge at the end of this month when it opens. My knowledge of Star Wars lore is encyclopaedic and I have written a couple of unreleased Star Wars Fan Fics that I may put here one day when I’m done with my many other original projects I’m doing. I was thinking, at one time, of submitting one of them to Lucasbooks for publishing, but thought better of it. So, when I say something Star Was is good, I mean it!
      The other reason is simple: the fight scene above has been redone by a team of hardcore fans. It is a ‘Fan Fic’ video because it has reimaged this iconic battle between Obi-Wan and Vader adding new content that links it to canon, but is not canon. It is, by far, THE best fan-made video from Star Wars I have ever seen! It outclasses all the fight scenes in the latest Star Wars movies. It comes close to matching the fight scenes in Phantom Menace, and AOTC. With a bigger budget leant to it this battle could easily be a great follow-up to the epic Battle Of The Heroes in ROTS. It takes samples from a lot of the movies with Vader in it and meshes them fairly seamlessly with BRAND NEW original content by the makers of this video. The work done on Obi-Wan’s face, if refined a bit, would far surpass the CGI work done on Tarken and Young Leia in Rogue One. I will say it matches perfectly Darth Vader’s rage and intensity from the ending of Rogue One. I’m sorry if I’m spoiling Rogue One, but . . . Its been out for a while now! Go watch! It’s a great movie!
      Forgive me if you have seen this already as it has gone viral, but if you have not seen this PLEASE watch if you are into Star Wars at all. It is the ultimate in Star Wars Fan Fiction!
      So, without further adieu, let me present SC38 Reimagined:

For comparison, here is the original of this scene. It’s probably the remastered cut as it is very hard to see the old original version of this I saw in 1977.

• By Myr
      We are currently cleaning up and consolidating our sprawling collection of forums and clubs.  When we started this process, we saw that the community was very spread out with low activity in most places.  To help correct this, we have consolidated a few things.  As part of that consolidation, the Fantasy Writing, Sci-Fi Writing and FanFiction writing clubs have been closed and their content has been moved to this forum.  This puts all the authors back into one club and hopefully makes the content more active and useful for our authors.

• By wolfwriter
      I am in search of an editor and/or beta. I write mostly werewolves/vampires and some fanfiction of Harry Potter. Is there anyone who is interested?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..