Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

4 hours ago, Marty said:

Thanks, Albert. :hug:

Although I normally wouldn't add any fruit, nuts, or sugar to a soda bread mix, and certainly not egg or butter. What the recipe in this video seems to be making is a cake, rather than a loaf of bread.

I wonder if the narrator has ever eaten real Irish soda bread. After all, she compares what her recipe would turn out to be like a large scone. That's not what Irish soda bread is.

I counted around ten separate ingredients in the video. The recipe in the one I linked to has just four: flour, salt, bread soda (bicarbonate of soda), and buttermilk (or soured milk) - okay, five if you count the two types of flour separately.

Buttermilk is readily available in Ireland. It's not sold much in England, so my sister normally adds a tablespoon of lemon juice to fresh milk instead (to replace the natural acidity in buttermilk, which is needed to release the carbon dioxide from the bicarbonate of soda, and so make the bread rise in the oven).

No one said you had to make this recipe but I am sure if you look around just a bit you can find something that more closely fits what you want to make!

And I can see you didnt take your pills today :rofl:

• Haha 4
4 hours ago, Headstall said:

Happy Tuesday, all! :hug:  Cookie appears back to normal. :D  I went back to bed for a couple of hours this morning... with Cookie. :) 

Excellent news, Gary! :D

And happy Tuesday to you, as well. :hug:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..