Open Club  ·  133 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Well it's late Friday night, and I am now 1/4 of the way through my challenge to take and upload a new black and white photograph every week for 52 weeks...

Big thumbs up :thumbup:

• Like 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Marty said:

Well it's late Friday night, and I am now 1/4 of the way through my challenge to take and upload a new black and white photograph every week for 52 weeks...

Reveal hidden contents

50048698712_ffeacd6c77_b.jpg

Those are flowers of Russian Vine (Fallopia baldschuanica). Another common name for it is "mile-a-minute" - apparently because it tends to take over walls very, very quickly.

It's actually covering the remains of the roofs of the two old sheds (along with some white flowered rambling roses). Until it flowered, I thought it was just more honeysuckle. Having now identified it, I'm a bit worried, as apparently it is almost impossible to eradicate, and just takes over just about everything. I think the roots are actually in the garden of the empty property next door, and it has just grown up the 8 foot wall and is hanging over onto my side. Might be a case of heading next door and severing it at the roots, although it would probably just grow up and over the wall again in a few months. I'll make a decision in the late autumn or winter when I get round to clearing the roofs of the two old sheds.

Here's an article about it from the gardening section of the Guardian newspaper, with the headline: "A swine of a vine: why you should plant Russian vine at your peril"

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2009/sep/24/gardens1

Stunning photo, Marty! :heart: 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Marty said:

Morning (or afternoon, here), Gary. :hug:

Been persistently piddling down here all day, so I'm gonna head out and do some shopping. Got some editing to finish when I get back, so I'll chat yous all later. :) 

Sunny, cloudy, muggy here. Have a great day, bro! :hug: 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, clochette said:

That made me laugh :gikkle:

When he said "washing up liquid", that didn't sound legit. It sounded like something he pulled out of his arse just to be a bastard.  :gikkle: 

If I were living in England, I'd probably try to adapt and use their terms for things. But if Clyde McTeabaggers is living in 'Murica, he's got a lot to learn.   :rofl: 

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..