Jump to content

*Sneak Peek* Viking period piece


Recommended Posts

I love the snippet.  You had me at "Viking period piece" 😛  I would continue the use of the word "thrall", since that's what was historically used.  I look forward to more.  :)  

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I love the snippet.  You had me at "Viking period piece" 😛  I would continue the use of the word "thrall", since that's what was historically used.  I look forward to more.  :)  

 

Thank you! ❤️ 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I like it. I like period pieces, and you showed great promise with this one. I especially liked that Padraig came out of his fear and grief to comfort his 'brother' monk. It gave me a good fix on who he is. Excellent, and I would use thrall too. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thanks for the support, everybody! I don't know when this will be ready to start posting (I've decided not to publish unfinished work anymore, to avoid these long hiatuses), it will probably be a while. But it's nice that you all seem into it. It's very motivating. :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Love the idea. I look forward to reading more.

I would have expected the name of the commander to be spelled Tore and not Thore, but I could be wrong. And is commander really a good equivalent to the Danish term (which would be høvding (= chief) in modern language or thegn in Old Norse).

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Love the idea. I look forward to reading more.

I would have expected the name of the commander to be spelled Tore and not Thore, but I could be wrong. And is commander really a good equivalent to the Danish term (which would be høvding (= chief) in modern language or thegn in Old Norse).

 

Thore would have been spelled with the rune for th in the Norse, and pronounced accordingly. This is why I have elected to spell it that way. As for his title, Thore isn’t a chief; he owns a ship, and he takes able and willing men from his village raiding in the summer. The rest of the year he’s a wealthy merchant. All of this will be explained in the story, though. He commands the vessel and the men, so that was the most appropriate term I could think of. :) 

 

EDIT: I’ve seen thegn transcribed as thane in English, but again, not really what Thore is.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I’ve seen thegn transcribed as thane in English, but again, not really what Thore is.

 

Makes sense that the Th in Thore is the same sound as th in thegn. I hadn't thought of thane being the English word, but I think you're right about that. I assumed a chief was leader of a ship, but jarlen was the leader of a community. But I suppose a thane could have several ships, each with it's own commander.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

 

Makes sense that the Th in Thore is the same sound as th in thegn. I hadn't thought of thane being the English word, but I think you're right about that. I assumed a chief was leader of a ship, but jarlen was the leader of a community. But I suppose a thane could have several ships, each with it's own commander.

 

Some raiding parties were sent out by a jarl or a king, but many were just folks from the same area going off to do some pillaging and trading. A lot of trading vessels did raids as well. There were a lot of freelancers. But contemporary sources are sketchy to non-existent, so it's hard to be sure of anything. I'm operating on a certain degree of artistic freedom here, as there's a lot of contradictory sources and a lot of stuff we don't know. 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

there's a lot of contradictory sources and a lot of stuff we don't know. 

 

Yeah, that's the impression I get too when I look at Danish websites on the topic. Can you read Danish ? Otherwise, feel free to ask me to research and translate specific topics. 

https://natmus.dk/historisk-viden/danmark/oldtid-indtil-aar-1050/vikingetiden-800-1050/

https://danmarkshistorien.dk/perioder/vikingetiden-ca-800-1050/

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikinger

  • Like 1
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

 

Yeah, that's the impression I get too when I look at Danish websites on the topic. Can you read Danish ? Otherwise, feel free to ask me to research and translate specific topics. 

https://natmus.dk/historisk-viden/danmark/oldtid-indtil-aar-1050/vikingetiden-800-1050/

https://danmarkshistorien.dk/perioder/vikingetiden-ca-800-1050/

https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikinger

 

Thanks! Danish is no problem for me. For one, it reads exactly like old fashioned Norwegian. For another, I grew up in the Nordic folk music scene. My parents dragged me to festivals all over Scandinavia, and I still go to Skagen every winter for a folk music thing. If I really have to, I get by all right speaking it, even. I know a fucktonne of Danes. :P 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • 2 years later...

I like me some Vikings. :gikkle: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard is one of my favorite book series. Oddly enough, my husband, Morgan, is mostly Irish and Scottish. But there's some Norse ancestry, too, I think.  :)

Edited by Page Scrawler
Link to comment
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..