I am sure everyone understands mixed media in terms of art, like combining colored pencils, acrylic paints, and other forms of media to creating an original piece.  However, have you, as writers, considered doing the same thing to your stories?  An example that I know of to clarify what I mean is you all know the new movie that is coming out next year, Godzilla: King of the Monsters.  Other than the movie itself to tell the story, a website has also been created that displays an interactive globe of Earth which shows the locations of classified and unclassified titans like Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah.  This website helps expand the lore of the Godzilla universe, and I know the movie Cloverfield also had a website that provided more information on the story in the same creative manner.  So, have any of you decided to do something similarly creative to make your stories more real and immersive?  I know for my story Hero Wanted, I want to make letters that one of the characters, Christopher Shepherd, receives by his fans that are handwritten since he is considered a major celebrity in the Hero Wanted universe, and I want to make this story as immersive as possible.  So, tell me what have you done to expand your stories beyond a word document.  😀

Also, here is the link to the website that I just mentioned: https://www.monarchsciences.com/

• Like 3

Oh wow! I didn't know they were doing that for the Godzilla movie! That's actually really cool! I will definitely check that site out, as I saw a lot of familiar Easter eggs in the trailer. And also, there's a post credit scene in "Kong: Skull Island" that you guys might want to see. 

To answer the questions, I LOVE adding little side stories to many of the bigger ones that I'm writing. It's so much fun to give readers a different perspective on a story, or provide a little background by surprise. I've done it with stories like "Gone From Daylight", and "Shelter", and "New Kid In School", as well as some others. It's like, readers get to know a character or situation in a story...but then they read this particular side story and think, "Ohhhh...that makes total sense now!" I enjoy adding details that would normally bog down the original story and slow down the pace. 

As far as different media, I wish I was talented enough to add different forms of expression for the stories. But I do try to create visuals with pics, video trailers on my youtube account, a few animations, and some well read audio versions. I'd do SO much more if I could. :P  

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Comicality said:

Oh wow! I didn't know they were doing that for the Godzilla movie! That's actually really cool! I will definitely check that site out, as I saw a lot of familiar Easter eggs in the trailer. And also, there's a post credit scene in "Kong: Skull Island" that you guys might want to see. 

To answer the questions, I LOVE adding little side stories to many of the bigger ones that I'm writing. It's so much fun to give readers a different perspective on a story, or provide a little background by surprise. I've done it with stories like "Gone From Daylight", and "Shelter", and "New Kid In School", as well as some others. It's like, readers get to know a character or situation in a story...but then they read this particular side story and think, "Ohhhh...that makes total sense now!" I enjoy adding details that would normally bog down the original story and slow down the pace. 

As far as different media, I wish I was talented enough to add different forms of expression for the stories. But I do try to create visuals with pics, video trailers on my youtube account, a few animations, and some well read audio versions. I'd do SO much more if I could. :P  

That is very cool that you write side stories that provide a different perspective of a character, giving the readers more insight.  That actually gives me an idea.  Since some of the characters in my story Hero Wanted are viewed as celebrities, maybe I can write articles that interview the characters that would be posted in a popular fictional magazine.  Thanks for that!  I also wish I had other talents to expand the lore of my stories; though, I can draw to a limited extent.  So, writing fictional articles will be the next best thing.  😁

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Superpride said:

That is very cool that you write side stories that provide a different perspective of a character, giving the readers more insight.  That actually gives me an idea.  Since some of the characters in my story Hero Wanted are viewed as celebrities, maybe I can write articles that interview the characters that would be posted in a popular fictional magazine.  Thanks for that!  I also wish I had other talents to expand the lore of my stories; though, I can draw to a limited extent.  So, writing fictional articles will be the next best thing.  😁

That would be cool! Especially if the celebrities maybe name-dropped one of their colleagues in the interview. Or maybe they're in negotiations to work together in the future. Hehehe, or maybe were in a Twitter war? LOL! Who knows? The possibilities are endless.

If you want to check it out, this is an article that I did for the "Shelter" spinoffs. And it includes some of the fan trailers that I made for each story. You might get a few more ideas along the way. Best of luck!

https://imagine-magazine.org/releases/volume-41/the-shelter-verse/

And drop a link to your story! I'd love to give it a look some time. :)  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Comicality said:

That would be cool! Especially if the celebrities maybe name-dropped one of their colleagues in the interview. Or maybe they're in negotiations to work together in the future. Hehehe, or maybe were in a Twitter war? LOL! Who knows? The possibilities are endless.

If you want to check it out, this is an article that I did for the "Shelter" spinoffs. And it includes some of the fan trailers that I made for each story. You might get a few more ideas along the way. Best of luck!

https://imagine-magazine.org/releases/volume-41/the-shelter-verse/

And drop a link to your story! I'd love to give it a look some time. :)  

A Twitter war haha!  Also, thanks for the link.  I'll definitely check it out.  And here is the link to my story Hero Wanted: