droughtquake

Musings about TV Ads 3

Obviously, Facebook’s target market for its Portal device is snarky people! Two different ads featuring unpleasant people insulting each other. Sounds just like Zuckerberg!  ;–)

• Haha 2

Facebook has been trying to get me to buy an Oculus Rift all weekend. It's not even a proper ad, just a weird looking Facebook post going, 'Get Oculus Rift for only €399!' And I'm like, do I look like I have 400 euro just lying around? I'm an unemployed student with bipolar II disorder, and I've got rent to pay. :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Facebook has been trying…

I’ve blocked Facebook from tracking me. I don’t do Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. I don’t even let Google track me and I actually have gmail accounts – but I use Apple’s Mail.app to access them.

I’m sure Google, Facebook, Amazon, eBay, Yahoo, and others have tons of information about me, but I don’t want to make it easy for them to harvest any more than I have to.  ;–)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I’ve blocked Facebook from tracking me. I don’t do Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. I don’t even let Google track me and I actually have gmail accounts – but I use Apple’s Mail.app to access them.

I’m sure Google, Facebook, Amazon, eBay, Yahoo, and others have tons of information about me, but I don’t want to make it easy for them to harvest any more than I have to.  ;–)

That's beyond fair. Sadly, I'm kind of dependent on Facebook, or I wouldn't bother either.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Brits are probably very amused to hear God Save the Queen playing during the recent Jack in the Box ad – which also features a bald Bald Eagle.  ;–)

• Wow 1

It’s amazing how different the ads are for NCIS than either the comedies (Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon, Murphy Brown, or Will & Grace) or news programs I watch. Lots of ads for medications. Clearly a very different audience, older and probably more male than the comedies.  ;–)

The Employee-discount-for-all promotions are desperate ploys by companies that are struggling to return to profitability. Just look at who is offering them: Macy’s, Penney’s, and Chevrolet! Macy’s and Penney’s have been closing locations, GM is discontinuing entire model lines. All due to falling profits and market share.

Obviously, marketers of men’s colognes believe agree that the only men who should be using their stinky odorants have perfect bodies and wear only skimpy swimwear. I’m not sure dolphins and porpoises appreciate the water pollution. Men who do not look like that (or who prefer to wear more clothing) should just bathe more frequently!  ;–)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Obviously, marketers of men’s colognes believe agree that the only men who should be using their stinky odorants have perfect bodies and wear only skimpy swimwear. I’m not sure dolphins and porpoises appreciate the water pollution. Men who do not look like that (or who prefer to wear more clothing) should just bathe more frequently!  ;–)

I am reminded of the following tweet:

llkCdJ6.jpg

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

llkCdJ6.jpg

I used to know a very confused straight guy when I was homeless. His drinking problem was under control while he was staying at the rescue mission (and he had no access to alcohol). Once he had completed their ‘Program’ and was released back into the world, he relapsed. But he preferred baby powder (talcum powder) scented deodorant!

And he kept confessing his ‘love’ for me when he was drunk because he confused love with caring.

• Sad 3

30 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I used to know a very confused straight guy when I was homeless. His drinking problem was under control while he was staying at the rescue mission (and he had no access to alcohol). Once he had completed their ‘Program’ and was released back into the world, he relapsed. But he preferred baby powder (talcum powder) scented deodorant!

And he kept confessing his ‘love’ for me when he was drunk because he confused love with caring.

That's . . . actually kind of sad. Poor guy.

I used to prefer neutral scented deodorants, but now I kind of like the more 'man' scented ones. Probably because they make me feel more masculine, which is a thing I need right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I used to prefer neutral scented deodorants, but now I kind of like the more 'man' scented ones. Probably because they make me feel more masculine, which is a thing I need right now.

I use as many unscented products as I can. While I don’t have a chemical sensitivity, I’ve always disliked strong fragrances. Department store cosmetics counters used to be torture in the ‘70s! I’d actually hold my breath when we walked through them. And they’re usually planted right at the busiest entrance to the store so the largest number of victims is assaulted by the stench!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I use as many unscented products as I can. While I don’t have a chemical sensitivity, I’ve always disliked strong fragrances. Department store cosmetics counters used to be torture in the ‘70s! I’d actually hold my breath when we walked through them. And they’re usually planted right at the busiest entrance to the store so the largest number of victims is assaulted by the stench!

I get that walking through the duty free when I travel. The make-up department is almost always by the entrance, and you walk through this cloud of perfume, basically. Some airports have started moving them, though, cause of complaints from people with severe allergies for whom strong fragrances can be uncomfortable at best and dangerous at worst.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, droughtquake said:

Oh God! The days when most men wore Old Spice or Brut. Ugh. I got Brut at Christmas for about three years... I ended up hating it. :( 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I get that walking through the duty free when I travel. The make-up department is almost always by the entrance, and you walk through this cloud of perfume, basically. Some airports have started moving them, though, cause of complaints from people with severe allergies for whom strong fragrances can be uncomfortable at best and dangerous at worst.

I'm not adverse to a nice cologne, and I wear Terre D'Hermes on occasion, but those areas make me gag. :puke: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Do you want to be a sheep and follow the flock, or do you want to be an eagle, and soar above it… Lord, give me wings"—Headstall—

@Headstall, I don’t have a choice. I’m the black sheep. But at least I’m not a wolf in sheep’s clothing!  ;–)

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Oh God! The days when most men wore Old Spice or Brut. Ugh. I got Brut at Christmas for about three years... I ended up hating it. :( 

I like Old Spice. Gave up on Brut 'cause I didn't have the legs for it 😃 I prefer unscented products but they are becoming more difficult to find.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, dughlas said:

I like Old Spice. Gave up on Brut 'cause I didn't have the legs for it 😃 I prefer unscented products but they are becoming more difficult to find.

I use Old Spice High Endurance deodorant... I never use antiperspirant, and I find Old Spice is effective from shower to shower, and doesn't overpower. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Headstall said:

I grew up with every boy in my class overusing Axe body spray. Can’t stand the stuff. The girls all bathed in cheap flowery perfumes from H&M. Middle school was hell on the senses.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Thorn Wilde said:

I grew up with every boy in my class overusing Axe body spray. Can’t stand the stuff. The girls all bathed in cheap flowery perfumes from H&M. Middle school was hell.

My youngest son used to douse himself in Axe... but the abuse from his siblings soon fixed that. :) 

• Haha 3

Macy’s thinks it’s okay to pollute the very controlled environment of the International Space Station with bits of styrofoam ‘snow’! They might think it’s a cute idea, but it’d be a disaster to have to clean up after when it floats around and ruins scientific experiments. It would take forever to vacuum up all the tiny particles in the scientific laboratory.

It’s another example of New York hubris.

• Wow 1

Last line in a Honda ad.

Male car salesperson about the customer who just drove off in his new car: “Man, did he look delicious!”

Okay the ‘customer’ was a gingerbread man, but still…  ;–)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Last line in a Honda ad.

Male car salesperson about the customer who just drove off in his new car: “Man, did he look delicious!”

Okay the ‘customer’ was a gingerbread man, but still…  ;–)

Call it progress. :P 

• Haha 1

Apparently the Nissan Altima has a Force Field feature that puts out repelling emissions. Just drive through traffic jams, vehicles blocking your way will magically angle away to clear a path just for you! Or find a convenient ramp and drive up the walls of skyscrapers… does the Altima have a feature that clings to the wall all day so you can park outside your office? ;–)

We are clearly now living in The Jetson’s future we always dreamed of!  ;–)

• Haha 1