droughtquake

Musings about TV Ads 3

On 12/5/2018 at 8:33 PM, droughtquake said:

The Employee-discount-for-all promotions are desperate ploys by companies that are struggling to return to profitability. Just look at who is offering them: Macy’s, Penney’s, and Chevrolet! Macy’s and Penney’s have been closing locations, GM is discontinuing entire model lines. All due to falling profits and market share.

Chevy is continuing its employee-discounts-for-all because they still didn’t sell enough cars yet. It’s not charity, it’s desperation. All the non-actors in the ads cannot disguise that fact.

Of course, Fiat Chrysler’s only successful brand is Jeep. Ford will be dropping all its car lines after the 2019 model year except Mustang and Fusion (US twin of the European Mondeo) and putting all future investments into crossovers, SUVs, and trucks. And everyone else is also shifting away from sedans.

It’s very ironic that the latest Ford (US) ad repeatedly insists, ‘If you want a car…’ from a manufacturer with a 115 year history (among other reasons) ‘…get a Ford.’ It’s ironic because Ford has already announced that they will be discontinuing production of all their cars with the exception of the Mustang – one sedan will hang on a little longer because they just updated it. Thy are shifting production to crossovers, SUVs, and trucks because that’s what’s selling.

They’ve made a similar announcement in Europe. But in Europe, their problems are exasperated by strength of the Pound compared with the Euro – as well as the impending fallout from Brexit. Ford/Europe had been doing much better than GM’s former European division, Opel/Vauxhall, because they were doing better in light trucks. Expect lots of tall wagons similar to Volvo’s XC-series and the Subaru Outback.

There have been comparisons to Isuzu’s pull-back to trucks-only before eventually leaving the non-commercial North American market altogether. But Isuzu never had much of a presence in the US and was always a much weaker brand. And it was always primarily a heavy truck company in Japan. Then major investor GM was never able to figure out what to do with Isuzu (or Suzuki and Subaru that they also previously had investments in).

Fiat Chrysler has discontinued several sedan models for similar reasons. Fiat Chrysler is relying on highly profitable Jeep, and to a lesser extent, Ram to stay afloat. In Europe, Fiat is struggling and doesn’t seem to know how to fix all their numerous problems.

GM has also announced that it is discontinuing several unprofitable sedan lines. It will be interesting to see how GM deals with the loss of the Opel engineers and designers who created most of the products sold in Buick and Holden dealerships. I’m not sure Daewoo/GM Korea is a good enough substitute. I predict GM will slash their model offerings even further. Will Buick and GMC join Pontiac, Hummer, Saab, Saturn, and Oldsmobile in the trash heaps of history?  ;–)

Edited by droughtquake

Chevy is now using crocodiles (or alligators) to coerce people who are doing a test-drive into buying a Chevy.  ;–)

The ad shows off an overhead camera view of the surrounding area around the vehicle. Crocodiles (or alligators) are released to swarm around the Chevy. Panicked test-drivers rush to roll the windows up…  ;–)

Edited by droughtquake

My thoughts about that was, Oh great, another distraction for the driver.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TalonRider said:

My thoughts about that was, Oh great, another distraction for the driver.

I think it’s intended for parking and low-speed maneuvers. I wouldn’t be too worried about Chevy releasing reptiles everywhere to coerce new buyers. Although GM might be getting desperate enough to solicit bids on contractors who could if their costs for aluminum and steel don’t drop back to their normal range soon.  ;–)

Posted (edited)

The California PUC (Public Utilities Commission) is trying to distract Californians from the CA PUC’s incompetence and collusion with the utilities it’s supposed to be regulating. They prominently feature their Energy Upgrade California program while hiding the PUC’s involvement. They have a feel-good ad ‘gifting’ California resources to various Californians. Included gifts are ’this rock’ (Yosemite’s El Capitan), redwoods, the beach house (Hearst Castle), fog, and rainbows – the last ‘to the proud’ while showing two women touching foreheads in what appears to be a bar.

This isn’t the first Energy Upgrade California ad to include apparently LGBTQs. Another ad showed two men doing laundry together. The ads also tend to reflect the ethnic diversity of this most populous majority minority state.

Edited by droughtquake

12 hours ago, droughtquake said:

The California PUC (Public Utilities Commission) is trying to distract Californians from the CA PUC’s incompetence and collusion with the utilities it’s supposed to be regulating. They prominently feature their Energy Upgrade California program while hiding the PUC’s involvement. They have a feel-good ad ‘gifting’ California resources to various Californians. Included gifts are ’this rock’ (Yosemite’s El Capitan), redwoods, the beach house (Hearst Castle), fog, and rainbows – the last ‘to the proud’ while showing two women touching foreheads in what appears to be a bar.

This isn’t the first Energy Upgrade California ad to include apparently LGBTQs. Another ad showed two men doing laundry together. The ads also tend to reflect the ethnic diversity of this most populous majority minority state.

Well, maybe the ad can at least do some good in that respect.

• Love 1

So I keep seeing travel ads on TV.

Even though the Monterey Bay Area is sometimes considered to be part of the greater Bay Area, their media market is separate because the Santa Cruz Mountains separate San José/Silicon Valley from Santa Cruz and the rest of the Monterrey Bay region. Santa Cruz runs lots of ads promoting tourism, especially the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. During the summer season, the ads also mention their free concerts by second-string oldies groups.

;–)

San Diego also runs lots of ads. Typically they feature shots of the World Famous San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari, and they used to include Sea World. The most recent ads show North Park – I’m not sure why they don’t have shots of Hillcrest! Lots of beach clips too.

;–)

British Airways, Southwest Airlines, and Alaska Airlines all have also been advertising heavily. Everybody wants a slice of that tech money!

The current Disney World ad has a pair of African-American dads on rides together with their kids. There are no kisses or hugs between the two men, so their relationship is ambiguous. I choose to read theme as a Gay couple, but they could also be seen as very close bros or brothers.
;–)

Blue Shield apparently doesn’t care that they are reminding us of a long-running California Lottery ad that also featured California Dreaming’. I don’t think I’d want my health insurance to operate like a lottery! Much too risky…

From the current Sears TV ad:

When shopping at Sears, you need to place yourself in the moment…

…because any moment, Sears could go out of business!
;–)

• Like 1