droughtquake

Musings about TV Ads 3

I can see John Lennon rolling over in his grave after seeing the Google ad using his music!

Am I the only one who thinks that Post-Modern Family would be the perfect name for a Modern Family spinoff featuring Hailey, Dylan, and their twins?
;–)

Okay, this isn’t a TV ad, it’s an item listed in the Safeway ad.

Benihana The Japanese Steakhouse – Hibachi Chicken Rice

Okay. So why is a steakhouse considered a good brand to license for frozen leftovers?

And if you ever tried to cook rice on a hibachi, it would all fall through the grill! A hibachi is a very small Japanese cast iron barbecue grill attached to a wooden plank. You use it to cook things on those bamboo skewers. If you wanted to cook rice in a pot on a hibachi, that’s all you’d have room for.

That mess that they describe as ‘hibachi chicken rice’ is just frozen fried rice, something you make to use up your leftovers. You’re a fool if you order leftovers at a restaurant!

Don’t ever order leftovers if you eat at a Japanese or Chinese restaurant with me!

In today’s email Target ad featuring their weekly flyer, they have a section devoted to (US) Thanksgiving items. The section is subtitled, “Celebrate your chosen family with a Friendsgiving feast. >” Now I know they don’t send out specially customized emails just for me because there are always items listed that I would never buy (women’s clothing, children’s items, makeup, and things with smelly fragrances). And I remember the curt email reply I got when I pondered whether Spot the Dog’s rainbow themed collar was in celebration of Pride (the reply denied any connection to Pride – a more enlightened response would have said that Target celebrates all of its customers). But Target does send a huge contingent of employees to the SF Pride Parade every year and does have gender-neutral restrooms…
;–)

I like Big-O Tires. I bought at least one set of tires there and a casual friend works for one of the locations.

But their ad with the construction workers just doesn’t make sense. I’ve never worked construction, but I know most guys wouldn’t just be doing ‘the pee dance’ if they needed to go. They’d find a secluded spot and just pull it out! Failing that, they’d just pee on a truck tire…
;–)

• Haha 1

Apparently Buick’s target market is self-centered, greedy, egotistical jerks. The current ad features a series of people ‘giving’ themselves a Buick. They seem to think that their alternate personality has given them ‘the perfect gift.’

Most recent Buicks were designed by Opel. Now that GM has sold Opel/Vauxhall to Peugeot, they won’t be able to rely on Opel’s engineers and designers. Buick will become even more reliant on Chevy and GM Korea (formerly Daewoo).

GMC (designed by Chevy Trucks and marketed by Buick) is rerunning their holiday ad where the husband has bought a big, blue Sierra pickup for himself and a smaller red SUV for his wife (gender stereotyping) as an early christmas gift. But his wife misinterprets his gesture and chooses the big, blue pickup. He tries to correct her, but she repeats that she loves it [the pickup]. He consoles himself by saying he likes red.

This is about news, not ads, but it seemed odd to me. Kitty Logan reports for Fox Snooze out of London. Katty Kay appears on BBC World News America and has been on PBS’ Washington Week. Kitty and Katty?
;–)

So I’m not paying much attention to the ads when one comes up for the odious Cats. I thought I saw Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Poltergeist) listed as director! I thought that was a great way to make the annoying musical into something worth seeing! But when I looked Tobe up on Wikipedia, I learned Tobe died in 2017. It turns out that Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech, Les Miserables, The Danish Girl) was the actual director. Oh well, that would have been an interesting movie.
;–)

Edited by droughtquake

Wells Fargo is trying to get everyone to forget about them opening thousands of unauthorized accounts (along with all the unauthorized fees). So they’re copying Budweiser’s heartwarming horses ads. Cuddly big horses trotting through the snow-covered fields. (Oops! They just ‘accidentally’ opened another four accounts in your name!)
;–)

• Like 1

As Christmas nears, there are more and more companies having Christmas themed commercials. The one by Walmart really bugs me though. I guess it’s supposed to be sweet, but I have to say, the little sister’s bratty behaviour would have me putting a lump of coal in her stocking. I guess, I’m not as forgiving as her brother...

Walmart needs to hire Sobey’s advertising firm, because the brother and sister interaction in this commercial is sooo sweet. 

Edited by Reader1810
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I forget you’re in the other CA!
;–)

Personally, I boycott Walmart and its unAmerican behavior (under-paying employees and being the largest single exporter from China). I spend my money in marginally more acceptable companies. I don’t have a lot of disposable income, but I do think about where my money goes.

• Love 2

7 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Personally, I boycott Walmart and its unAmerican behavior (under-paying employees and being the largest single exporter from China).

Same with me.

• Love 2

Aww, that second ad was really sweet, @Reader1810! ❤️ 

• Love 2

Honda’s ad with the three Hondas zooming around a racetrack with no one in the grandstands was oddly prescient!
;–)

Volkswagen is running one of those heart-warming, emotional ads that looks forward to a future beyond Covid. There are soundbites from VW dealers from across the country. And a glimpse of the Castro Theatre’s marquee with its hopeful message…

I’m not sure if they’ve edited in local images, but usually when they do that, they also make sure to include local dealer soundbites as well…
;–)